Skip to main content
Main Content

pronoun changes?

Posted 2021-05-30 14:33:29 (edited)

Full support.

1# For the sake of player's comfort

2# For the sake of immersion

A staple of good gameplay is immersion. Being able to lose yourself in the story being presented to you can make or break the interest you have for the game overall. Therefore avoiding breaking this immersion when unnecessary is a goal the game should strive for. A big part of Wolvden's appeal is lore and character design as players come up with back stories and details for their packs and wolves. Certain achievements and automated messages don't account for this and stifle the creative freedom of player's as they contradict the lore we set in place. Wolves being unintentionally misgendered by site mechanics breaks immersion the same way your wolf being called by a name or title you didn't give it would break it. Implementing this feature helps Wolvden maintain the quality it upholds currently.

💪🦝WonderFounder👢

Posted 2021-06-01 01:22:49

Love this idea! I've read through a few of the other replies, and I think for the most part, it's easy to do (seeing as there is already he/him and she/her text for bio male and female wolves), and makes it much easier on trans players!! I am a non-binary person and have multiple wolves that have pronouns in their footnote! But it makes me really sad to see my wolves be missgendered :(

I think there are various reasons for changing this and very few for keeping it the same? Besides for some non-trans individuals that seem to be confused about what it means. A very simple fix is having a gender section (similar to @Weaselheart#17081 on page 1's mockup!) in the settings section, that allows players to input the various pronouns to use for the wolf! It would display underneath the "Sex" section as a separate section, marked "Pronouns" in the wolf details section. This can be autoset to default to 'she/her' for bio female wolves and 'he/him' for bio male wolves for everyone that doesn't want to worry about gender and pronouns!

☄️Nova☄️

Posted 2021-06-01 10:01:56

Cat here.  The information would be under Currents.  Sex will be first, then Gender, which would be assigned by the player in the same section we do for Name, Footnote, et cetera.  By default, it will be Default [same as Sex, <- these words may need to be displayed for anyone confused with perhaps a ? circle which we see in some places already], changeable to whatever word the player wants.

Aside from that, it can be debated in-house whether or not under Report Wolf if we need a new section for "inappropriate or offensive" - since there is none for Footnote, I doubt there is a complete need for one for Gender as it may well fit under the Other category quite nicely.   That is only my personal opinion, of course.

And all of this is all just my two cents.  Full support for implementation, by the way.

Zeraki

Posted 2021-06-01 10:09:11

I don't support this. You could easily put this in the description of the wolf, or the name itself. I'd rather not see that as a feature as to me, it feels more of a political statement than a needed feature in the game. I'm content and respectful with others' lifestyles, but this seems unnecessary to put in a game about wolves. At the end of the day, it won't effect anything, so simply putting the preferred pronoun in the description, name, or footnote seems like a better option.

Crux

Posted 2021-06-01 10:28:00

i may have posted on this thread a while back, but still, full support!

i currently have "she/her" listed on my stud's footnote. however, there are in game notifications for her that still use he/him pronouns. "this wolf is actively scouting, his energy regeneration is paused." the message when she has returned from scouting also uses he/him pronouns. i'm glad other users are respectful of her pronouns (and other wolves who have pronouns different from the default) but the game itself continues to misgender her.

when herbalists return from foraging, the notification uses they/them pronouns. if we are unable to input pronouns for wolves that differ from the she/her or he/him default, all notifications should default to they/them pronouns. but i absolutely love the format for inputting pronouns that @Weaselheart has suggested and that's how i personally would prefer to have this change implemented.

wolfyfeelers

Posted 2021-06-01 12:25:51

The more comments are made the more my opinion changes. Its starting to seem like too much, so I'm starting to agree with Vanitati #44246. I know it's nice to have the game say the wolf's pronouns but I think the system you guys are trying to create may seem really confusing to the rest of us. 

I don't think I support for this game. But still, love to you all. I just think having the footnotes and the descriptions should be enough probably, atleast for wolvden. 

Salem

Posted 2021-06-01 12:33:01

I support, my stud uses she/her pronouns so it's kind of annoying to me that whenever she returns from scouting the game calls her by masculine pronouns. For an easy way to change pronouns, there could be a simple dropdown box in a wolf's settings (similar to the caves dropdown, just with pronouns). The default would be the wolf's biological gender, but you could change it to other pronouns just by selecting a different box.

yellhound

Posted 2021-06-01 12:34:18 (edited)

@Vanitati Mortem nothing is political nor a statement about pronouns, just pointing that out because it seems to be implied?

--

full support for this thread! i've been meaning to add pronouns to the footnote of some of my wolves, but sometimes you have to put other information there, and pronouns cannot fit. i like when users can customize their own experience and make it more immersive for themselves. seeing people give their studs she/her pronouns, or sex-changed wolves as canonically trans etc. is awesome! i think the flavor texts really should be gender neutral, ie. "your wolf went hunting, THEY brought back etc. THEY can be breedable again in 2 rollovers" (i don't quite know the flavor texts for sure, just an example).

jupitercrash

Posted 2021-06-01 12:52:26 (edited)

gotta say, doesn’t the game already have some grammatical errors with the binary pronouns? i remember seeing lots of reports about it a while back, but maybe they’re all fixed now.

can’t imagine what it’ll be like for differing, custom pronouns though. (ex: neopronouns, xenopronouns, etc.) gotta clarify, i have zero issues with the pronoun thing, but there’s just no reason to implement something that could quite possibly cause the staff to stress a lot over.

i’m sure there’s players who would dislike their wolves pronouns being defaulted to they/them/theirs when regarding a singular wolf, because what about their wolf’s pronouns? what about the player’s feelings and opinions? (and as im sure most of you know, a lot of people dislike the gender neutral they/them when regarding a singular person because of the alleged grammatical issues it has). it would be unfair, either way i think. and as @Valkyrae said, it could be confusing to other players + staff aswell. i know i’ve seen others on this thread say it wouldn’t be hard to implement, and in theory it sounds easy, but in practice could be difficult.

if this can be easily implemented with little repercussions then i’m all for it otherwise, but we do have to consider other things than immersion and the like.

PhillyCheeseSteak

Posted 2021-06-01 13:15:00

@PhillyCheeseSteak Personally, I have implemented a variety of pronouns in my own programming using a SQLite database (I suspect Wolvden uses some form of SQL to store data) and it is fairly easy. You really just store a list of the pronoun's variants in a column (e.g. "he/him/his/his", "she/her/her/hers", etc.), always with each variant in the same place, then when you need to put some pronouns in you grab the list, turn it into a list or array, and insert the corresponding index into the sentence. If you wanted to allow custom pronouns, just take the input from the user in some way like with the names.

Obviously I've not done this with an entire website, just a personal project that also implements flavour text, but I honestly think the worst of it would be that it's a bit time-consuming. I don't think it would be too difficult to track down the different flavour texts and edit them, though.

Weaselheart

Search Topic