Skip to main content
Main Content

pronoun changes?

Posted 2021-06-01 13:15:46

If I am being honest, I don't see why the idea of adding pronouns is that crazy. If you don't want to use them, you don't have to - that doesn't mean other players who would feel more comfortable with the addition of them shouldn't be able to. It's not a political statement to use pronouns as everyone has pronouns. I would probably never use the feature myself but I fully support others having the ability to do so.

I really can't see this being such a huge deal to implement given the fact that there's already pronoun features built into the game - i.e male wolves default to he/him pronouns in the flavor text. I don't think it would really be game-breaking to allow players to do something as small as changing their wolf's pronouns. If it would make a large portion of the community feel better and more comfortable (which appears to be the consensus here) then I don't see any reason to fight against it. Again, if ya don't like it, don't use it. If it confuses you, don't go to the dens of people with them.

I'd love to see this implemented to help create a more welcoming and comfortable space for the player base! Full support from me :D

Cozy

Posted 2021-06-01 13:35:38

i posted in support of this a while ago but never went into detail about the reasons.

as others have stated in this thread, it can be annoying and sort of jar you out of immersion when the wrong pronouns are used for a wolf. we've seen that these wolves have more knowledge and more of a society than real wolves with things like herbalists and selling to the raccoon, not to mention apparently having a universal language. who's to say that these wolves don't have a concept of gender?

the second reason i have is sorta selfish. it would just make me feel very welcome as a trans person. however, i doubt i'm the only person who would feel that way.

i hope this isn't too weird sounding! i'm not much of a writer but i wanted to share my opinions

canis latrans

Posted 2021-06-04 10:39:21

I'd really like this. As someone has already mentioned, pronouns should probably default to the ones aligned with the wolf's current sex for the players who don't really care about it and don't want to worry about it. If someone wants to use different pronouns for their wolf, they should be able to to do so. Even the choice between he/she/they would be lovely, but I'd also support the mechanic where a player can manually type in neopronouns for the wolf. They can be displayed under the sex of the wolf, or maybe simply right under their name.

I honestly don't see any cons to this (except for the obvious time & effort investment to make it work). As I've mentioned, people who do not care about this will have the exact same experience, since their wolves will still default to either he or she.

hydde 🥀 on hiatus

Posted 2021-06-06 19:56:42

huge support!

Pikachu

Posted 2021-06-23 05:50:45

Support!
I have a variety of gender-noncomforming wolves in my pack lmao

i'd also like to see the option for multiple possible pronouns? Since in my pack, there are trans wolves, yes, but also demi-males and demi-females, bigender wolves, pangender wolves, and genderfluid wolves, and multiple pronouns options for them would all be sweet!

RiminReesun

Posted 2021-06-23 05:56:22

Honestly I’m fine with just a little switch somewhere in the wolf management page where we can choose he/she/they/pronoun tapped in by user. Just for the sake of flavor text.

I don’t mind either the default being set to align with biological sex.

TheGuardian

Posted 2021-06-23 06:23:13

Do not support.

I think it's kind of silly and unnecessary to add different sexualities and pronouns to animals.

Icewolf

Posted 2021-06-23 06:28:55 (edited)

Ok, but not everyone consider their in-game wolves as just wolves? For example, in my lore, they are all werewolves... so, you know, humans. So, I don’t know, the argument seems weak to me, aha

But more than that, I just fail to see how optional content, that wouldn’t impact those who aren’t interested in using the feature, would hurt? Sure, it would take development time, but there seems to be enough interest to make it worth it. Plus, it doesn’t seem too difficult to code, since the pixel wolves are already being addressed by pronouns. Though I’m only speaking from my small experience with coding. I’m far from being an expert on the subject. And I would agree that it isn’t the most urgent thing to code, as it would only serve as player comfort/lore rather than strictly gameplay.

TheGuardian

Posted 2021-06-23 06:32:58

Yeah, what Guardian said!

Some people might see wolves as animals, but some anthropomorphize them and give them their lore and stories and stuff, which is just as cool! In any case, it doesn't harm at all, and I think it might actually at least help the game overall since then people are getting their opinions heard!

RiminReesun

Posted 2021-06-23 09:09:31

The existence of same-sex pair bonds already implies wolvden wolves have different sexualities/orientations, icewolf c:

Funfetti

Search Topic