βeta Chaser
886 | L13 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

Scout
872 | L13 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Start of Spring
  • Fang no longer has ear mites but Khloe and Jing have been infected.
Early Spring
  • Gabriel, Khloe and Jing recover from ear mites however they have spread to Fang and Mira.
  • Level-ups
    • Kira is now level 20!

March 3 - 4, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

I'll admit I was hoping for a quick fix to the pack's ear mite infestation this spring but thus far it seems to be a slow battle, albeit a winning one. So many members of the pack are infected, even when a couple start showing improvement, others are quick to get sick. Fortunately, so far those getting infected are showing quick recovery--Khloe and Jing were both showing symptoms of the mites at the beginning of the season and just a couple weeks later seem to be improving.

Unfortunately, with the number of pack members sick, hunting is still not going well, even with the advantage that spring usually gives. Given the pack is coming out of winter hungry, and it's only been a few weeks, but I've seen no signs of meat left behind for scavengers or an emergency cache or otherwise. If these mites don't clear up soon I'm afraid the pack may lose the advantage of spring.

Mid Spring
  • Ru, Alpha Jin, Mira and Fang are rid of their infestations however Khloe and Jing have ear mites again.
  • Level-ups
    • Jing is now level 13!
High Spring
  • All is quiet.

March 5 - 6, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Four more pack members recovered from the mites mid-season, and with such a massive recovery, the pack would have been free of the pests. However, both Khloe and Jing were re-infected. Even in spring, when they have their best chance of recovery, this feels like a never-ending battle.

The pack was finally successful enough hunting that everyone was able to eat their fill and there were enough leftovers for the pack to gorge themselves and begin putting on some of the weight they'd lost in winter. They still have a ways to go, especially the younger members that seem to have taken the worst of the illness and food shortage, but with a few weeks left in spring, I feel there's hope they will at least regain weight if not see the end of the ear mites.

Late Spring
  • Khloe and Jing are free of ear mites. The pests are finally gone from the pack!
  • Kamila is wounded and will have a scar on her nose bridge.
  • Level-ups
    • Kai is now level 14!
    • Ru is now level 13!
End of Spring
  • All is quiet.

March 7 - 8, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Khloe and Jin recovered and the pests are finally gone! The pack saw a windfall at the end of spring and I'm so relieved to know those ear mites are completely clear. There's no telling when they'll pop up again, but goodness, I will take the relief I'm feeling now. In addition, with the hunting teams finally at full strength, the pack is having better luck bringing down prey and the rate at which the pack members are filling out is equally relieving. For now it seems that only the smallest member Ru, continues to look for any scraps he can find but despite the obvious hunger he has clearly gained weight and looks worlds better than he did going into spring.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-03-19 14:54:53

Summer, Year 25

Year 5 of Gabriel's Reign

Greyfeather Pack Rendezvous

Alpha Gabriel

Alpha Chaser
1325 | L20 | ♂︎
4.2 (Bedro)

Sándor

Alpha Finisher
1319 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Kira

Alpha Chaser
1309 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Kamila

Alpha Stalker
1290 | L20 | ♀︎
3.1.1 (Khushi)

Khloe

βeta Stalker
1287 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated

Míra

βeta Chaser
1262 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Kai

βeta Chaser
962 | L15 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

βeta Finisher
956 | L15 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

βeta Chaser
924 | L14 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

Scout
874 | L13 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Start of Summer
  • Kamila recovers from her wound.
  • Level-ups
    • Fang is now level 15!
Early Summer
  • All is quiet.

Mid Summer
  • All is quiet.
High Summer
  • March 12
  • Alpha Jin died of old age. Rest in peace.
  • Sandor has developed symptoms of mange.
  • Kira was wounded on a hunt and will have a scar on her front leg.
  • Level-ups
    • Mira and Khloe are now level 20!
    • Ru is now level 14!

March 11 - 12, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Alpha Jin has passed. I knew that she was getting old but it's truly heartbreaking to have lost her. Despite the hardships of the last couple seasons it appears she died of old age. Gabriel and the pack are visibly distressed at her loss--they've primarily been feeding from the leftovers fof previous hunts and have not exerted the effort to hunt down any fresh prey.

After missing winter's chance to breed, I did not expect to see a last litter of pups from these alphas, but now that Jin is gone I know that both Gabriel and his cousin Kamila will reach the end of their lives soon as well and the pack will be left with such a small number. It's strange, knowing how large the pack was a few years ago. I can only hope for better luck for them going forward. It's been so long since we've seen pups and the pack certainly needs the new blood to keep going.

Late Summer
  • All is quiet.
  • Level-ups
    • Kai is now level 15!
End of Summer
  • All is quiet.

March 13 - 14, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Kira was wounded a few weeks ago, and in the wake of Jin's loss, I didn't pay much attention to the fact. Hunting injuries are fairly common, after all, but in Kira's case, it seems her injury is causing her quite a lot of trouble. She's looking weak and ragged--it has been a long time since we've lost a wolf to a hunting injury, but I'm worried, in her state, that she might not recover. What's worse, she is one of the pack's larger and more experienced members, and a likely candidate to take over as alpha when Gabriel passes on. I hope that she pulls through.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-03-21 09:02:52 (edited)

Autumn, Year 26

Year 1 of Míra's Reign

Míra

βeta Chaser
1268 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Sándor

Alpha Finisher
1329 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Khloe

βeta Stalker
1294 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated

Kai

Alpha Chaser
970 | L15 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

βeta Finisher
996 | L16 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

βeta Chaser
961 | L15 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

βeta Stalker
905 | L14 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Start of Autumn
  • All is quiet.
  • Level-ups
    • Fang is now level 16!
Early Autumn
  • Kira suffered complications from her wound and passed in the night. Rest in peace.
  • Level-ups
    • Jing is now level 14!

March 15 - 16, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

We lost Kira after all. She was a promosing member to take over for the alpha but the wound she received on her ear, seemingly harmless, has been causing her trouble for weeks, including distracting her during hunts. I can't say for sure what killed her, but I suspect the wound may have been infected and left her too weak to continue on.

Mid Autumn
  • All is quiet.
Deep Autumn
  • Sandor recovers from mange.

March 17 - 18, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The symptoms of mange on Sandor are finally clearing. He's been suffering from it for a couple months now and in addition to the discomfort of the disease, his well-being was clearly suffering as well. In the wake of Kira's loss I was afraid he would succumb as well but he seems to be eating better now and gaining weight as signs of the mange are clearing up.

Late Autumn
  • Alpha Gabriel passes from old age. Rest in peace.
End of Autumn
  • Kamila passes from old age. Rest in peace.
  • Kai is injured on a hunt; he will have a scar on his left ear.
  • An unfamiliar wolf enters the pack territory but is chased off.

March 19 - 20, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

We lost alpha Gabriel and Kamila. Both to old age. I knew they were getting old and I knew this was coming, but with Kira's loss as well, this feels like a particularly difficult autumn.

Although largest among the pack, Sandor is not particularly inclined toward leadership. Khloe has also grown quite big, but, through a bit of a dramatic twist of past alphas, she is not actually related to the main family of the pack. Were Sandor more dominant, she might have made a perfect mate to take over as alpha, but her size has not given her any sense of dominance either. And so, from the looks of things, it will be Mira that takes over as alpha. She is not young herself--by spring she will turn 6 years old, but she has a driven personality which I hope will serve the pack well.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-03-31 12:35:30

Winter, Year 26

Year 1 of Míra's Reign

Alpha Míra

βeta Chaser
1276 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Sándor

Alpha Finisher
1338 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Khloe

βeta Stalker
1298 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated

Kai

Alpha Chaser
1010 | L16 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

βeta Finisher
1004 | L16 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

βeta Chaser
968 | L15 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

βeta Stalker
912 | L14 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Start of Winter
  • All is quiet.
Early Winter
  • All is quiet.
  • Level-ups
    • Kai is now level 16!

March 21 - 22, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Mira has taken well to leadership so far this winter. Transition periods can be easy or frought with conflict within the pack but thus far the older members seem to respect her willingness to step up to a place of authority and the younger members recognize the wisdom and strength that comes with her age. It's a relief to see such a small pack adjusting smoothly to her leadership. I do predict Fang could one day pose a challenge (she's always been the type to push boundaries when given the opportunity), but for the time being she simply doesn't have the size to compete against Mira.

Mid Winter
  • Kai recovers from his wound.
Deep Winter
  • All is quiet.

March 23 - 24, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The hunting teams are doing well and it has been a surprisingly plentiful winter. While the hunting teams usually see a dramatic shift when a new alpha takes over, Mira left the old teams intact despite being so short on members. Despite being stretched so thin they are succeeding in their hunts spectacularly. The members are experienced and already work well together--perhaps Mira knew condensing the teams would cause more harm than good.

Late Winter
  • All is quiet.
End of Winter
  • Fang developed symptoms of mange.

March 25 - 26, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The pack has been ranging far this season and I get the sense they are searching for something. If I were to venture a guess, I would say Mira is on the hunt for a mate--certainly a partner would help secure her place at the head of the pack. Of course her age would likely drive her to have pups, as well. A venture I certainly hope she succeeds in for the sake of the pack if nothing else.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-04-03 13:53:43

Spring, Year 26

Year 1 of Míra's Reign

Alpha Míra

Alpha Chaser
1286 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Alpha Hunter

Alpha Chaser
1340 | L20 | ♂︎
Unrelated

Sándor

Alpha Finisher
1349 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Khloe

Alpha Stalker
1307 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated

Kai

Alpha Chaser
1053 | L17 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

βeta Finisher
1011 | L16 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

βeta Chaser
972 | L15 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

βeta Stalker
951 | L15 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Start of Spring
  • Fang recovers from mange, but not before it spreads to Khloe.
  • A strange wolf enters the territory; and is welcomed. Hunter joins the pack!
Early Spring
  • All is quiet.

March 27 - 28, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The pack encountered a large male roaming through the territory in the early weeks of spring. Mira's interest in his presence tells me I was probably correct about her search for a mate. The encounter with him was tense--he is certainly large--very nearly the size of Sandor and definitely larger than the rest of the pack. Although the pack had numbers on their side, if the meeting had gone poorly there would have been injuries to both sides. Fortunately Mira's interest and control kept everyone at bay, and I'm sure the new male felt less threatened than he would have facing down a larger pack.

He's been travelling with the pack for the last couple weeks so I suspect he's been accepted and have gone ahead and named him Hunter. He's a striking color with patches of grey, red and brown and cream on his legs and muzzle. Color like his has been unusual in this region but I suspect we may be seeing a fair bit more of it in the months to come ...

Mid Spring
  • Khloe recovers from mange.
High Spring
  • All is quiet.

March 29 - 30, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Mira is showing signs of being in heat--an off-season occurrence that's not particularly unusual among these wolves. It might be perfect timing for the arrival of Hunter. Although in the past new alpha pairs have taken some time to get acquainted and officially become a mated pair I suspect (and hope) that Mira's age and position might encourage her to throw caution to the wind.

Late Spring
  • Mira and Hunter's first litter of pups is born!
  • Ru developed a cough.
  • Level-ups
    • Kai is now level 17!
End of Spring
  • Ru recovers from his cough.
  • Kai is infested with ticks.
  • Level-ups
    • Jing is now level 15!

March 31 - April 1, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Pups have arrived! And far sooner than I expected! The timing suggests Mira and Hunter were mated almost as soon as he joined the pack--even before I saw signs of Mira being in heat! The new puppies are exciting and it feels like a weight has been lifted from my chest. The pack desperately needed new members. I should be able to get a better look at them in summer and I'm hoping for a strong and healthy litter!

As a side note, please enjoy this beautiful art of our previous alpha pair, Gabriel and Jin, by the talented Srinyx #244. Thank you so much!

Chantaey

Posted 2023-04-20 15:08:04

Summer, Year 26

Year 1 of Míra's Reign

Alpha Míra

Alpha Chaser
1296 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Alpha Hunter

Alpha Chaser
1351 | L20 | ♂︎
Unrelated

Everett

611 | L1 | ♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Adaline

607 | L1 | ♀︎
7.1 (Míra)

Callan

597 | L1 | ♀︎♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Sándor

Alpha Finisher
1359 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Khloe

Alpha Stalker
1317 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated

Kai

Alpha Chaser
1099 | L18 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

βeta Finisher
1051 | L17 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

βeta Chaser
1015 | L16 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

βeta Stalker
961 | L15 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Start of Summer
  • Kai recovers from the tick infestation.
  • Coyotes discover the den and two puppies are killed.
Early Summer
  • All is quiet.

April 2 - 3, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

I heard horrible sounds of fighting from my tent last night. There was so much howling and growling and yelping ... I think I recognized the sounds of coyotes coming from the direction of the denning site. Mira or Hunter have been staying with the pups but if the pack was away and a group of coyotes found the den, I'm afraid there might have been casualties. We are still a couple weeks away from the pups weaning and emergine from the den... I may never know for sure what happened.

Mid Summer
  • All is quiet.
  • Level-ups
    • Fang is now level 17!
High Summer
  • April 5
  • Sandor becomes infested with fleas.
  • Alpha Hunter taught the pups hunting basics!
  • Level-ups
    • Kai is now level 18!
    • Ru is now level 16!

April 4 - 5, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The pups finally weaned and I've gotten peeks at them emerging beyond the den and playing. There are only three--I can't help but wonder if there was a larger litter before the encounter with the coyotes I heard in the night a couple weeks ago. Still, three is a solid number and I can only hope for the pack to continue growing. I haven't gotten a really good look at them yet, but I can say one is a pale grey with no obvious markings and the other two share shades of red like their father. If it weren't for Hunter's unusual coloration I might think they had simply been rolling in some red clay!

Late Summer
  • The pups played in a field and learned foraging.
End of Summer
  • A flock of birds gave the pups an opportunity to learn stalking.

April 6 - 7, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The pups continue to grow and are spending more time with the pack adults. They seem to be doing well and I've identified that the grey is a male and, although he's the largest of the pups, seems rather subordinate to the others; I've named him Everett. The other two look incredibly similar--the easiest distinction I can find is that the male (I've named Callan) is a lighter shade of grey than his sister, Adaline. It feels so good to finally have pups again!

Chantaey

Posted 2023-04-21 12:13:15

Autumn, Year 27

Year 1 of Míra's Reign

Alpha Míra

Alpha Chaser
1309 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Alpha Hunter

Alpha Chaser
1359 | L20 | ♂︎
Unrelated

Everett

614 | L1 | ♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Adaline

610 | L1 | ♀︎
7.1 (Míra)

Callan

599 | L1 | ♀︎♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Sándor

Alpha Finisher
1374 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Khloe

Alpha Stalker
1328 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated

Kai

Alpha Chaser
1149 | L19 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

βeta Finisher
1058 | L17 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

βeta Chaser
1028 | L16 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

βeta Stalker
1003 | L16 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Start of Autumn
  • Sandor is rid of the flea infestation.
Early Autumn
  • Sandor developed symptoms of the flu.

April 8 - 9, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Sandor developed the flu late this month; it's one of the worst things I could imagine happening with young pups actively growing with the pack. The colder months tend to see influenza arise, but after so long waiting for pups it pains me even more to see it rear it's ugly head again. Not only that but most of the pack members are far from their prime--the alphas in particular. If it spreads ... well, the flu is always dangerous for the pack.

Mid Autumn
  • Sandor recovers from the flu.
Deep Autumn
  • All is quiet.

April 10 - 11, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Sandor had a miraculous recovery. Some benevolent force of luck or nature certainly smiled down on the Greyfeather pack because not only is Sandor feeling better, but there also appears to be no other sick members. When was the last time I saw the pack with the flu where it did not spread? I'm so grateful.

The pups continue to grow; Adaline and Callan in particular are full of rambunctious energy while their larger sibling Everett remains on the outskirts of play and socializing. The pale male seems skinnier than the other pups--larger but lanky--and always eats last, when he seems to have an appetite at all. I'm not sure yet whether there is something wrong with him or it's simply his personality but regardless all the pups continue to do well.

Late Autumn
  • Alpha Mira is infected with fleas.
End of Autumn
  • Khloe is injured and will have a scar on her hind leg.
  • Level-ups
    • Kai is now level 19!
    • Jing is now level 16!

April 12 - 13, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The dragging cold of autumn finally seems to be taking it's toll on the pack. Although hunting hasn't been going very badly, I've begun to notice the pack growing a little thinner. It always concerns me going into winter when the pack already shows signs of struggle and now especially I worry because I so desperately want the pups to reach adulthood. Khloe, the alpha team's stalker, was also injured this month and though injuries are fairly common and don't typically pose a problem, even a small bit of down time before winter certainly won't help them any.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-04-21 13:26:24

Winter, Year 27

Year 2 of Míra's Reign

Alpha Míra

Alpha Chaser
1324 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Alpha Hunter

Alpha Stalker
1372 | L20 | ♂︎
Unrelated

Sándor

Alpha Chaser
1380 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Kai

Alpha Chaser
1165 | L19 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

Alpha Finisher
1111 | L18 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

βeta Chaser
1071 | L17 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

βeta Stalker
1009 | L16 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Everett

623 | L1 | ♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Adaline

618 | L1 | ♀︎
7.1 (Míra)

Callan

606 | L1 | ♀︎♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Start of Winter
  • Mira is rid of the fleas, however they spread to Sandor.
Early Winter
  • All is quiet.

April 14 - 15, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

A small infestation of fleas is spreading in the pack; Mira picked them up at the end of autumn and although she seems to be scratching less, the alpha team finisher, Sandor, is clearly suffering from them now. It's certainly better than dealing with a flu outbreak (I still can't believe how fortunate we were that Sandor recovered so quickly last season) and shouldn't slow the wolves down too much even if the fleas do continue to spread. I mostly worry for their stomachs--although hunting is still going fairly well, the growing pups are definitely looking hungrier than usual and Khloe's injury, though not preventing her from hunting, is not looking any better.

Mid Winter
  • All is quiet.
Deep Winter
  • Sandor is free of the fleas.
  • Khloe succumbed to her injuries in the night. Rest in peace.
  • Level-ups
    • Fang is now level 18!
    • Ru is now level 17!

April 16 - 17, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Khloe succumbed to her injury this month--sadly it was a fast decline. The more she hunted the worse her limp seemed to get until she was simply unable to get up one morning. It's hard to say whether she would have recovered with rest or more plentiful food but her loss is tragic for the pack.

Although beta team has an experienced stalker, Alpha Hunter has taken on the role of stalker for alpha team in Khloe's place and Fang, beta team's finisher has joined alpha team. Although this puts alpha team at five members strong again, it is odd to see because Sandor is already an experienced finisher for alpha team and it leaves beta team with only two members. It's not the typical movements I've seen between the hunting teams in response to the loss of a member or a new wolf in the role of alpha and I'm not sure what, if any, strategy there is to this move.

Late Winter
  • All is quiet.
End of Winter
  • All is quiet.

April 18 - 19, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

So far the changes to the hunting teams have not proved beneficial. There was some odd back-and-forth between Sandor and Fang regarding which would fill the role of finisher for alpha team, but it seems Fang has settled into the role leaving Sandor to fill the chaser spot left open by Hunter's transition to stalker. Although clearly experienced, Hunter is clearly struggling to find prey in the southern tundra where alpha team primarily hunts and despite being five members strong they have been finding little more than mouthfuls which are barely enough to feed more than a couple members.

Ru and Jing, alone on beta team and hunting in the northern taiga where prey is a little more plentiful, are having better luck, surprisingly. It isn't a stretch to say the two of them are the only reason the pack hasn't starved since Khloe's death. Unfortunately there still is not enough food to go around and the whole pack has lost a good deal of weight. So much so that I'm genuinely worried for their survival. The pups, grown into adolescents now, are suffering the worst from the shortage. I can only hope they live long enough to be able to join the pack on hunts and improve the chances for food.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-04-26 13:39:43

Spring, Year 27

Year 2 of Míra's Reign

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Míra

Elder
1330 | L20 | ♀︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Alpha Hunter

Elder
1377 | L20 | ♂︎
Unrelated

Kai

Alpha Chaser
1218 | L20 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Fang

Alpha Finisher
1125 | L18 | ♀︎
6.1 (Gabriel)

Ru

Alpha Chaser
1078 | L17 | ♂︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Jing

Alpha Stalker
1054 | L17 | ♀︎
6.2 (Gabriel)

Adaline

Alpha Chaser
720 | L5 | ♀︎
7.1 (Míra)

Callan

βeta Chaser
687 | L3 | ♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Everett

βeta Stalker
650 | L3 | ♂︎
7.1 (Míra)

Sándor

Elder
1395 | L20 | ♂︎
4.3 (Bedro)

Start of Spring
  • All is quiet.
Early Spring
  • All is quiet.
  • Level-ups
    • Kai is now level 20!

April 20 - 21, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

The arrival of spring is a relief. The pups survived the winter, which turned out to be more of an ordeal than I expected it to be. Alpha team continues to struggle to find food despite the pooled experience of the pack's most seasoned wolves but the bounty of spring is at least ensuring all the members are eating even if it isn't enough to regain the weight they've lost.

Mira went into heat this month and I've already noticed her eating more than usual so I suspect there will be more puppies arriving toward the end of spring. I'm excited but also daunted by the prospect of more mouths for the pack to feed. Mira is, of course, on the older side (my records say she turned 7 at the start of spring!) so she undoubtedly feels the pressure of time. She seems to have done well pulling her first litter through a harsh winter--hopefully she is able to do the same with the next.

Mid Spring
  • Kai is injured and will have a scar on his front leg.
  • The pack moves the den site from the tundra to the taiga.
  • Hunting (4/4 Successful)
    • Week 5: Alpha team stumbled upon a stoat which hungry Mira claimed for herself and beta team brought down a whitetail which the hungry pack devoured; there was enough for everyone.
    • Week 6: Alpha Hunter managed to find a lost muskox calf which alpha team helped bring down! It was enough to feed the pack but everyone was still hungry. Beta team brought down a mountain goat and the pack gorged themselves, leaving no remains.
High Spring
  • Sandor and the alphas have grown too old to participate in the hunts. Beta team is disbanded and it's members merged to alpha team.
  • Hunting (2/2 Successful)
    • Week 7: The pack was able to catch a porcupine but there was not enough for the less-dominant pack members to eat.
    • Week 8: More luck with a mule deer--the whole pack was able to eat except for the elder Sandor who did not make it to the kill before it had been devoured.

April 22 - 23, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

Mira is showing signs of increased hunger--to be expected--and I've witnessed her forcing her way ahead of her mate for food and warning off other members of the pack until she's had her fill. I'm certain now she is expecting.

Beta team continued to provide most of the food for the pack early in the month but it was clearly slow-going for the pack to regain the weight they lost in winter. Seeing this, perhaps, the alphas made a drastic move (for me and for them) and have abandoned their northern territory in the tundra and moved south. The pack doesn't move often, but they have had a denning site in the taiga before, and it is far from an unfamiliar place. I can't help but note though that the last time they ranged further south than the taiga they were a massive pack with three hunting teams. I worry that maintaining such a small territory further south will hinder their growth in the long term.

Most notably, however, were the changes that occurred after they'd established new territory. Sandor stopped hunting with alpha team--signs suggest his age is preventing him from being able to keep up, and Ru and Jing joined alpha team--disbanding beta team entirely. It seems that, although they are still joining alpha team on hunts, Mira and Hunter are no longer participating. Like Sandor, this is most likely a result of age. The addition of Ru and Jing to alpha team is likely to help the hunts (because of Jing's experience as a stalker in particular), but fewer hunting teams also means less opportunities to hunt. And the changes to the teams recently means the pack's synergy is not currently ideal. I hope this works out for the better but only time will tell.

Late Spring
  • The alphas' first litter joins the pack as adults.
  • The alphas' second litter is born!
    • Week 9: Alpha team hunts down a bighorn sheep ram while the fresh beta team is able to scrounge up a pheasant hen for themselves.
    • Week 10: Alpha team brings down another bighorn but the pack still has weight to gain and there are no leftovers. Callan and Everett get lucky again and share a grouse.
  • Level-ups
    • Jing is now level 17!
    • Adaline is now level 4!
    • Callan and Everett are now level 3!
End of Spring
  • All is quiet.
    • Week 11: Alpha team finds more success with a bighorn ram and beta team is able to bring down a small deer doe!
    • Week 12: Alpha team has poor luck and is only able to find a porcupine while beta team stumbles curiously upon a beaver dam and is rewarded with a small meal!
  • Level-ups
    • Adaline is now level 5!

April 24 - 25, 2023   

Researcher's Corner

There are puppies! Once again I'll have to wait for summer for details but the arrival of a new generation is always exciting. What's more, the alphas' first litter is now grown enough to join the pack on hunts! The sole female of the litter had a tremendous growth spurt and her size earned her the last empty spot on alpha team. The other two brothers, Callan and Everett, have reformed beta team and are working together by themselves to learn how to hunt as a team. Callan, who has grown to the larger and stronger of the two, is taking charge of the chaser role while Everett is doing his best to learn how to stalk prey and find the trails. Although he is not particularly adept at it, I'm sure he will learn quickly--having started it so young.

With two teams hunting most of this month, and Jing helping the experienced alpha team members, hunting has been going very well for the pack. Although it was a slower improvement than I've seen in past years, the pack is finally looking fit and filled out. It's hard to believe it took the entirety of the spring season to get themselves back into good shape, but it gives me hope for them and the next litter of pups.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-05-02 14:16:11

Summer, Year 27

Year 2 of Míra's Reign

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Míra

Elder
1330 | L20 | ♀︎
Weight: 100%
7y 5½m | Gen 4.3

Alpha Hunter

Elder
1377 | L20 | ♂︎
Weight: 90%
7y 5½m | Unrelated

Finn

620 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 3½m | Gen 7.2

Ginger

618 | L1 | ♀︎
0y 3½m | Gen 7.2

Kai

Alpha Chaser
1234 | L20 | ♂︎
4y 4½m | Gen 6.2

Fang

Alpha Finisher
1181 | L19 | ♀︎
5y 4½m | Gen 6.1

Ru

Alpha Chaser
1124 | L18 | ♂︎
Weight: 70%
4y 4½m | Gen 6.2

Jing

Alpha Stalker
1102 | L18 | ♀︎
Weight: 60%
4y 4½m | Gen 6.2

Adaline

Alpha Chaser
815 | L10 | ♀︎
Weight: 60%
1y 3½m | Gen 7.1

Everett

Scout
736 | L9 | ♂︎
Weight: 70%
1y 2m | Gen 7.1

Sándor

Elder
1398 | L20 | ♂︎
Weight: 50%
7y 5½m | Gen 4.3

Start of Summer
  • Callan suffers heatstroke and is lost. Rest in peace.
  • Beta team is disbanded and Everett begins scouting.
    • Week 1: Alpha team hunts down a beaver while beta team gets creative bringing down a porcupine.
    • Week 2: Alpha team hunts a bighorn sheep and the entire pack is fed. Everett kills a pheasant hen on his own but does not eat it.
  • Level-ups
    • Adaline is now level 6!
    • Everett is now level 4!
Early Summer
  • All is quiet.
  • Hunting (1/2 Successful)
    • Week 3: The pack failed to bring down their prey but found a stoat as a consolation prize.
    • Week 4: The pack hunted a whitetail deer but there was not enough food for everyone. Everett returned to his pheasant kill and ate what remained.
  • Level-ups
    • Adaline is now level 7!
    • Everett is now level 6!

Mid Summer
  • All is quiet.
    • Week 5: The pack failed to bring down their prey.
    • Week 6: The pack took down another whitetail deer. There was enough for the whole pack to feed but only Alpha Mira was able to eat her fill.
  • Level-ups
    • Everett is now level 7!
High Summer
  • The alphas' latest litter weaned!
    • Week 7: The pack lost track of their prey and failed to pick up the trail again.
    • Week 8: The pack brought down a moose cow--a very fortunate hunt! Nothing remains of the massive carcass.
  • Level-ups
    • Fang is now level 19!
    • Ru is now level 18!
    • Adaline is now level 8!

Late Summer
  • All is quiet.
    • Week 9: The pack took down a whitetail deer.
    • Week 10: The pack hunted a mule deer. There was enough for most to eat their fill but some remain hungry.
  • Level-ups
    • Adaline is now level 9!
    • Everett is now level 8!
End of Summer
  • All is quiet.
    • Week 11: The pack successfully hunted a mule deer.
    • Week 12: The pack took down a bighorn sheep ewe; there was enough for most of the pack but many remain hungry.
  • Level-ups
    • Jing is now level 18!
    • Adaline is now level 10!
    • Everett is now level 9!

April 26 - May 1, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

Early Summer (Month 1)

We lost Callan to heatstroke. I'm so hurt and angry about it; the pack needed those pups to survive and after losing who-knows-how-many to coyotes so soon after they were born . . . the rest make it to adulthood only to lose another to the heat of summer? It feels so unfair. Little Everett is taking it the worst, I think. The two hunted and ate together for a couple weeks before Callan died, and without him Everett was left alone on beta team. I did see him make an attempt at hunting alone but when he managed to kill a pheasant he didn't bother to eat it fresh. He's always been a little outcast and undoubtedly feeling very alone now. From what I can tell he's given up hunting and has taken to wandering the pack's territory alone.

Mid Summer (Month 2)

I've seen signs of another pack currently to the west of Greyfeather's territory. So far the two seem to be coexisting--if they're even aware of each other at all. The Greyfeather pack is so small right now they've been maintaining quite a small territory and, I imagine, keeping most of their focus on finding food. Regardless, it's nice to see more wolves in the area and I hope the two packs remain peaceful with each other.

I finally caught a glimpse of the latest litter of pups; they don't linger outside the den for long, and I suspect they've only just weaned. So far I've only seen two pups, a black and a grey, but not long enough to get a good look at them. I hope there are more, but given the pack's luck lately, I should perhaps assume these are the only two and hope instead that both of them survive to adulthood and well beyond.

The pack is struggling to hunt these past few weeks and I can't tell whether the team isn't working well together or they're just having a run of bad luck. Jing is an experienced stalker, and young Adaline is the only green member on the team--they are even hunting in an area with more plentiful game. Could it be the new location that is throwing them off? Truly, so far as I can tell, no one member seems to be responsible for the difficulties, but they are only bringing down prey every couple weeks. They did get lucky recently with a large moose cow, but the entire carcass was devoured in no time and the way some of the smaller pack members continue to gnaw on bones tells me it wasn't enough to make up for their weeks of bad luck.

Late Summer (Month 3)

I can confirm now that there are two pups in the latest litter. The grey is a male I've nambed Finn who bears a striking resemblance to his grandfather, alpha Bedro. The black pup is a jet colored female I named Ginger; she has her father's red markings but also a patch of white across her shoulders which looks remarkably like feathers--a fitting mark for her pack's namesake!

They have been exploring outside the den more, and one of the alphas always remains at the rendezvous, along with elder Sandor, to watch after them while the rest of the pack hunts. They are growing well and Mira has been making sure they eat their fill despite the pack still showing signs of hunger.

Hunting has actually been going much better these past few weeks but despite the successful hunts, there has not been enough food for the pack to regain the weight they lost early in the season. At least half the pack, and elder Sandor especially, are looking noticeably thinner. I worry how they'll get along as the colder months roll in.

Chantaey

Search Topic