Skip to main content
Main Content

Reduced Reliance on RNG (from the perspective of a game maker)

Posted 2021-08-26 12:04:05
"Lost a battle against a level 1 Pherris Vagabond. Total energy used: 9. New HP after fight: 0."
So... yeah. My lead is lvl 20. I had full HP but RNG hated me anyway.

πŸ„ π•—πšŠπš›πš”πš’πšπšœπšžπšŽ

Posted 2021-08-26 16:50:29
Support. I think we all don't really like the way battles are right now.
Ramha

Posted 2021-08-26 16:59:02
Support. The battling system is pretty broken and it's even more frustrating when you are in the middle of a lunar event and you keep getting wrecked by lvl 5 enemies
Fox in a Box

Posted 2021-09-10 10:05:56
HUGE support. This latest Lunar event was horrible for me, in that I lost almost every single battle I got into, regardless of the enemy's level.

TacticianLyra

Posted 2021-09-19 18:34:49 (edited)
Level 18, full hp each Lunar fight.

*fights a lvl 4 ox, only wins with around 1/4 hp left*
*fighta a lvl 13 wolf, misses most hits and only hurts the enemy by less than 10 hp before losing*
*fights a lvl 11 dog, latches almost immediately and crushes repeatedly until win. almost full hp*
Bonus: *fights a lvl 17 rat and gets hurt less than a lvl 2 wolf, with the same strategy??*

I refuse to believe there's any consistency or logic to battling. Dice rolls mean nothing, levels and stats mean nothing, and amount of forethought used means nothing.

The RNG in this game makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Whirligig (Active: Event)

Posted 2021-09-22 18:55:04
"Retreated from a battle against a level 2 Lunar Snapping Turtle. New HP after fight: 3."

I just had to flee from lvl 2 opponent.

[Rolled 3 + 1] The Lunar Snapping Turtle lunges at you, but you dodge and take no damage.
[Rolled 2 + 1] The Lunar Snapping Turtle anticipated your attack and outsmarted you. They have the initiative.

LVL 2 enemy outsmarted my lvl 20 lead with 307 stats in smarts. This is ridiculous. I didn't start the fight with full HP because I shouldn't have to worry about losing to an enemy 18 levels below me. There's no consistency at all.

πŸ„ π•—πšŠπš›πš”πš’πšπšœπšžπšŽ

Posted 2021-10-02 18:54:45
i have a LOT of trouble in battles thanks to rng. some predators will get a really massive hit in the first turn, and then continue throwing punches until my wolf is dead on the ground, when in other situations those same predators aren't really a threat.

luck is fun and well - but i think it lacks something with consistency. i think it would take a rework to really fix it, though, and that's more of a time/effort investment than the devs probably have time for right now. i would hope they have it on the chalkboard though in the future.

seagull

Posted 2021-10-04 05:17:06
I've read throughout this thread. The feedback is mainly asking to fix the RNG and sharing unlucky battle reports. The only thing that has been implemented from the OP is displaying the hunting chance but regarding the other aspects nothing has been expanded in the feedback. I haven't found anything saying how the battle RNG should be reduced and I think this is why there are no battle changes.

DΕΌanek

Posted 2021-10-04 06:32:30
Perhaps people don't know how to fix it, exactly? I'm not mathematician. I don't know how the backend of these things work. All I know, is that there is a frustration to me over losing to a level 2 fox, as a level 20 wolf (I'm not level 20 right now, this was with my previous lead).

Purely personally, I'd like to see weight of the opponent matter (fox is much smaller, and if you land a hit, it should hurt the poor thing), but it would also make battles against already hard things like bears even worse. Birds are kinda op because they like to land a bleeding from the get-go, and if you can't heal it off.... chances are you lost. I don't battle birds now unless I have to.

That aside, how would you change things?

Ihmislehma

Posted 2021-10-04 08:31:37 (edited)
A few statements that may help in the conversation:
  • Neither the stats nor the dice rolls affect how much damage you or your opponent deals. It mean if you bite or crush with successful dice roll, your damage is not higher (you just inflict bleeding in these cases). Neither your level affects how much damage you deal.
  • Your actions (except for the starting moves) have 16% higher chance of succeeding if you use lucky foot.
  • Some actions are not affected by stats, such as snarling, biting and resting. It means using only these moves you fight with the same effectiveness regardless of your lead's and opponent's stats.
  • Some actions are affected by stats, such as latching and most of starting moves (yours and the opponent's). Most of them have 33% chance to succeed if your stats are too low, 50% chance if your stats are decent and 66% chance if your stats are really high. However, if you get even higher stats, you're still at 66% chance, unless you fight certain kind of enemy or use a lucky foot.
  • Your lead will bleed if the opponent lunges successfully such as bear or walrus. If your stats suck, you have max 44% chance of starting with a bleed. If your stats are high, you have 11% chance of starting with a bleed.
  • Every time you are locked and try to snap or escape, you have basically 25% chance (33% with lucky foot) that you're free the next turn, 11% chance (16% with lucky foot) if your stats suck and 44% chance (55% with lucky foot) if your stats are good.
  • The opponent making your lead bleed in the middle of the battle is not affected by dice roll. Neither does getting healed of bleeding.

Do you think something must be changed regarding the above?

I think that the major issue I see here is that despite a great level difference some lower leveled opponents are more challenging than they're supposed to? For example, if you fight as level 5 lead against level 3 opponent and you already have high stats to obtain the highest chances of success, you can't get even more so if you fight against the same opponent as level 15 lead the only thing that makes you better is 10 more max HP? No more damage dealt, no less damage taken, no better odds.

DΕΌanek

Search Topic