Skip to main content
Main Content

Hypothermia [Illness]

Hypothermia [Illness]
Posted 2020-11-03 09:12:13 (edited)

Hi devs!

We currently have the illness heatstroke, but I noticed their is no alternative for that with cold so I thought: why not suggest one! However, I couldn't decide on just one, so I'm suggesting both. Here is hypothermia and frostbite can be found here

Effects

• Symptoms: Shivering, Cold to touch, drowsy/tired, confused, lethargy, lack of appetite
  • No art change
  • Lose HP on Rollover, slowed energy Regeneration, cannot breed, unable to work and extra Proficiency loss on RO (Too sluggish and hypothermia causes memory loss/confusion)
  • Not Contagious
  • Lethal
  • After some talk a cure recipe was decided upon and an interesting idea with it taking time to cure was suggested. See more about that here

Contraction

This illness can be gained upon Rollover or while working. They would be a lot more common if you live in colder biomes or during the winter, while being rare (impossible?) to get from hotter biomes like the Rainforest and Desert.

If botb are added to the game I think this could also go hand in hand with Frostbite and be caused if frostbite goes untreated for so many rollovers.

In order for my idea to get added to the game, I think the following will be required from the devs: coding, encounter tweaks

Lily

Posted 2020-11-03 20:31:52 (edited)
Support as a cold biome risk while Heat stroke is a hot biome risk

Orion

Posted 2020-11-03 20:33:46
I like the additional risk factors that WD has been introducing to their encounters and think this would be a "fun" one to add.

QueenOfFrowns

Posted 2020-11-05 11:26:46
I like this! Another symptom could be lethargic/lethargy. You can also have unable to eat/play as one of the side affects (My knowledge is limited to kittens but when they get chilled, feeding them can lead to organ failure. They generally don't want the bottle anyway when chilled). This could also affect puppies born in winter if not assigned to a pupsitter or die from it if the mother isn't nested before birth

Bambi_Lesbian

Posted 2020-12-18 13:10:17

Support! This is neat and works well :)

🌿ɛlɛutheriahaswon🌿

Posted 2020-12-18 13:36:50

I like this, great idea. I think these two could be separate afflictions with unique effects. Some thoughts:

Hypothermia: How would it be cured? Wolves wouldn't be able to give the afflicted a heated medicine. So how would they recover? I was thinking it could tie in with sleep. While asleep, they recover their HP or Energy rise until they are completely filled. So maybe during that time they are unable to Hunt, Scout, or gather Herbs (if Herbalist).

Frostbite: Since frostbite can lead to the loss of fingers and toes, maybe this can happen if the wolf is not cured in a timely manner. I think it should permanently affect Agility as it damages their paws.

Melomar

Posted 2020-12-19 12:13:02 (edited)

The last thing you want to do when you have hypothermia is sleep, haha... I looked up cures for hypothermia and frostbite, and it does seem like coming up with an herbal mix for them would be tricky. I'm imagining warm water or warm/hot compresses? But how our wolves would accomplish that, I have no idea.

But anyway - when illnesses were introduced, I was personally surprised that hypothermia wasn't included, so I definitely support this suggestion!

lutheus

Posted 2020-12-19 12:37:10

Support but hypothermia should totally be possible in the desert as they can get very cold at night.

The Abnormal Mind

Posted 2020-12-19 18:04:42

Oh! I didn't know sleeping is so bad. I was thinking of a big fur pile in the middle of the den when I was thinking that. Next time I'll do some research before replying. xD Thanks for the catch.

Melomar

Posted 2021-01-02 00:46:20 (edited)

Support!

Tho idk what a cure could be...I did some quick research and found two sources (source 1source 2) that said that ginger tea helps hypothermia...maybe the herbalist could make some sort of cure, with ginger in it, similar to ginger tea? I was also thinking that hot water could be collected from hot pools but I don't think those exist in the current world of Wolvden.

I also found a source stating that aloe vera, feverfew and yarrow (among other plants that aren't in Wolvden) helps frost bite. Another source stated that arnica and ginger also helps with frost bite.

WolfDogamer

Search Topic