Posted 2022-03-12 19:49:00 (edited)

Spring, Year 10

Year 3 of Ákiljöf's Reign

Greyfeather Pack Rendezvous Site

Alpha Ákiljöf

1017 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1059 | L20 | ♀︎

Click the buttons below to reveal the rest of the pack!

Sága

Team 1 Stalker
931 | L17 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

Team 1 Finisher
919 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

Team 1 Chaser
903 | L17 | ♀︎

Khushi

Team 2 Chaser
794 | L13 | ♀︎

Kaveri

Team 2 Finisher
766 | L12 | ♀︎

Reva

Team 2 Lead Chaser
791 | L13 | ♀︎

Indu

Team 2 Stalker
788 | L13 | ♀︎

Darshan

Team 2 Chaser
761 | L12 | ♂︎

Start of Spring
  • Reva, Indu, Darshan, Khushi and Kaveri are now level 12!
  • A strange female wandered into the pack's territory but did not stay.
Early Spring
  • Kaveri was badly wounded on a hunt.
    • Ákiljöf is seeking herbs for an open wound salve.
  • A pair of strange wolves wandered into the pack's territory but were chased off.

Kaveri got hurt again. Poor thing; when she only just recovered. It's not too bad this time--a nasty slice on her nose from a stray hoof. The loss of her depth perception probably didn't help matters. Nearly the same thing happened to her grandfather after he lost an eye. She's just as determined this time to keep pushing herself as she was when she was wounded during winter but we all saw how bad she got, and how close we came to losing her last time.

Ákveðni actually stepped in to muscle her into submission this time. Kaveri seems like the only one willing to risk her health by not resting the way she should. Seriously, we've been lucky so far, but complications can happen. As it turns out, Kaveri still had quite a bit of fight in her . . . Ákveðni is the strongest member of our pack when it comes to pure muscle; she's even stronger than Kamakshi, but believe it or not my sister actually struggled to subdue that pup! We don't fight a lot among our pack and it's really only Ákiljöf that does much fighting with other wolves so it was uh . . . quite a sight. There was actually a moment where I wasn't sure Ákveðni was going to win. Don't you dare tell her I said so.

Anyway, Kaveri ended up with a bit of ear missing and I think she might be more sore about that than the wound on her nose, but Ákveðni made her point pretty clear and my niece has agreed to stay at the pack's rendezvous and focus on recovering while her father does his best to find more herbs for a salve.

Mid Spring
  • Kaveri did not recover from her wound during rollover.
    • Ákiljöf found the herbs for the Open Wound Salve. Kaveri is healed!
  • Ákveðni, Signý and Sága are now level 17!
  • A strange wolf entered the pack's territory but she didn't stay.
High Spring
  • All was quiet.

Late Spring
  • All was quiet.
End of Spring
  • Reva, Indu and Khushi are now level 13!
  • Darshan was wounded on a hunt and will not be able to hunt the rest of the day.
    • Ákiljöf is seeking herbs for a salve. He found Winterfat in the prairie and moved to the swamp to look for St. John's Wort.

Game Caught This Season
60% Success Rate (42/70)
  • 1 of 3 large prey
  • 16 of 35 medium prey
  • 19 of 26 small prey
  • 6 of 6 critters
Pack Knowledge
  1. Tick Remedy: Garlic, Cedar Bark & Tobacco
  2. Open Wound Salve: St. John's Wort, Winterfat & Yarrow

Next level up for 1st Litter expected Start of Summer, Year 10
Alpha's next breeding season: End of Winter, Year 11

Chantaey

Posted 2022-03-13 19:06:42 (edited)

Summer, Year 10

Year 3 of Ákiljöf's Reign

Alpha Ákiljöf

1028 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1059 | L20 | ♀︎

Sága

βeta Stalker
934 | L17 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

βeta Finisher
925 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

βeta Chaser
909 | L17 | ♀︎

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
831 | L14 | ♀︎

Reva

ΔDelta Lead Chaser
829 | L14 | ♀︎

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
827 | L14 | ♂︎

Indu

ΔDelta Stalker
825 | L14 | ♀︎

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
801 | L13 | ♀︎

Start of Summer
  • Darshan did not recover from his wound at rollover, but his rest yesterday allowed him to recover 20 HP. (Current HP: 20/41)
  • Darshan and Kaveri are now level 13!
  • A strange wolf entered the pack's territory but did not stay.
  • Ákiljöf found the St. John's Wort in the swamp and traveled to the north to begin looking for Yarrow.
Early Summer
  • Darshan did not recover from his wound at rollover; he lost 6 HP. (Current HP: 30/42)
  • Ákiljöf is in the north looking for Yarrow.
  • A strange male entered the pack's territory but did not stay.

Mid Summer
  • Darshan was able to recover from his wound at rollover.
  • Ákiljöf took advantage of his downtime today to turn territorial fights into training; he gained 5 stat points!
High Summer
  • Today is the pack's 10th anniversary and Ákiljöf's 3rd anniversary as pack leader. Indu retained an Arnica Flower Decor from the celebration!
  • Khushi and Kaveri devoured a muskrat they stumbled upon while hunting before any of their siblings had a chance at it. Later the Delta hunters caught a beaver; Kamakshi and her half-sisters ate their fill from it. An unlucky stoat partially fed Reva; she and the rest of the pack were finally able to eat their fill from a whitetail buck Delta Team brought down.

Late Summer
  • The Dreamlands grow close.
  • Delta Team's first successful hunt brought down a porcupine; they shared the kill but only Khushi, Kaveri and Reva were able to eat enough to fill their bellies. Later Darshan and Indu were able to eat their fill from a beaver they caught; the rest was brought back to the pack's rendezvous where Kamakshi satiated herself and the other three shared what remained. The rest of the pack was able to eat their fill when Delta Team brought down a bighorn sheep ewe.
  • Indu, Reva and Khushi are now level 14!
End of Summer
  • The Dreamlands are near.
  • After two failed hunts Delta Team brought down a bighorn ram. Most of the pack was able to satiate themselves off the carcass but there wasn't quite enough to go around for the younger members. Delta Team continued to hunt and after a couple failed attempts they were able to bring down another bighorn ram from which the rest of the pack ate their fill.
  • Darshan is now level 14!

Researcher's Corner

For more precise records I renamed the pack's hunting groups from Team 1 and 2 to Beta (β) Team and Delta (Δ) Team. Currently the Beta Team consists of the pack's older members (the alpha male's three litter mates) while Delta Team consists of the alphas' latest litter. Since forming, Delta Team has done a majority of the pack's hunting, although Beta team remains the most adept at bringing down larger prey.

For the most part, the summer season has been a quiet one for the Greyfeather Pack. One of their smallest members, Darshan, carried over a limp from the end of spring and it took a good portion of the season for him to recover but he seems to be doing fine now. Khushi and Kaveri have been battling for dominance somewhat frequently. For most of their puppyhood Kaveri remained the strongest of the litter but after receiving two hunting injuries earlier in the year her sister seems to be pushing for a higher position in the pack. Fortunately it is not upsetting the balance of the rest of the family as I saw in the pack's earlier years.

Game Caught This Season
37% Success Rate
  • 2 of 7 large prey
  • 11 of 43 medium prey
  • 12 of 23 small prey
  • 3 of 3 critters
Pack Knowledge

Next level up for 1st Litter expected to begin Late Autumn, Year 11

Chantaey

Posted 2022-03-25 21:22:33 (edited)

Autumn, Year 11

Year 4 of Ákiljöf's Reign

Alpha Ákiljöf

1040 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1069 | L20 | ♀︎

Sága

βeta Stalker
938 | L17 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

βeta Finisher
930 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

βeta Chaser
913 | L17 | ♀︎

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
873 | L15 | ♀︎

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
840 | L14 | ♀︎

Reva

ΔDelta Lead Chaser
869 | L15 | ♀︎

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
867 | L15 | ♂︎

Indu

ΔDelta Stalker
862 | L15 | ♀︎

Start of Autumn
  • The Dreamlands are near.
  • Indu woke up with lesions and skin inflammation today. This is an unfamiliar illness to the pack. Ákiljöf set out immediately to the Artisan's Hollow to learn about a cure.
  • Beta team was able to take down a moose cow on their first hunt today; the entire pack has full bellies!
  • Kaveri is now level 14!
  • A strange female entered the pack's territory but was chased off.
Early Autumn
  • Indu did not recover from her illness at rollover; she lost 6 HP. (Current HP: 37/43) Ákiljöf is away learning a herbal cure.
  • Delta Team was able to bring down a whitetail buck during their first hunt; the entire pack shared the carcass. Later they managed to wrestle down a porcupine leaving the whole pack satiated.

Mid Autumn
  • Indu did not recover from her illness at rollover; she lost 6 HP. (Current HP: 26/43) Ákiljöf is away learning a herbal cure.
  • Delta Team failed four hunts before they were able to take down a mule deer. Kamakshi and the older pack members ate their fill while the younger members shared what remained but there was not enough to go around. Driven by their hunger Delta Team carefully selected their prey and were able to take down a whitetail buck on their next hunt, providing enough food for the rest of the pack.
  • A strange male entered the pack's territory but was chased off.
High Autumn
  • Indu did not recover from her illness at rollover; she lost 6 HP (Current HP: 17/43) but Ákiljöf returned with a cure he learned from Myrica at the Artisan's Hollow.
  • The Delta Team failed their first hunt today but showed their experience quickly by taking down a mule deer on their second try. The carcass wasn't enough to feed the whole pack, however, and so they set out to try again. Another failure was again followed by a big mule deer leaving everyone with full bellies.
  • Indu found her first large prey trail today! (447 Wis/Sm stats)
  • Reva came home after a hunt today looking lethargic and exhibiting discharge from her nose and eyes. This illness is unfamiliar to the pack. Ákiljöf is preparing to travel to the Artisan's Hollow to research a cure.

I was surprised to find the Artisan's Hollow strangely empty this trip; Styrkur's daughter seems to have moved on, Myrica tells me that Iðunn passed and her apprentice was away assisting another pack in the region. There is a new male patrolling the area in Lata's place but, as Myrica informed me Indu's symptoms came from a slightly contagious disease, I did not linger to meet or converse with him.

Thankfully this time the herbs were not difficult to find and I was relieved to find Indu still strong enough to join her siblings in the hunting. What I didn't expect of course was for another member of our family to fall ill so quickly. Reva came down with something, again with symptoms we have never seen before, and so I prepare to make the journey to the Artisan's Hollow again. If only I could convince Myrica to come stay with us . . . but of course we are not the only ones that benefit from her knowledge. I'll need to recover as much energy as possible with a good meal and a full night of sleep so I'll be ready to set out at my quickest pace first thing in the morning.

Late Autumn
  • Reva did not recover from her illness at rollover; she lost 6 HP. (Current: 34/43) Kamakshi woke up this morning showing new symptoms; fever and discharge. Reva's illness has spread. Ákiljöf is traveling to the Artisan's Hollow to learn a cure.
  • Delta Team found a porcupine first thing this morning and shared it among themselves but their next hunting attempt failed. The team was able to satiate themselves on another porcupine but it took two more hunts before they brought down a whitetail deer and were able to feed the whole pack.
  • Indu, Reva and Khushi are now level 15!
  • Delta Team brought down their first large prey; an elk!
End of Autumn
  • The Dreamlands have faded.
  • Reva did not recover from her illness at rollover; she lost 6 HP. (Current HP: 38/44) Darshan woke up this morning feeling ill with a cough and lethargy. The sickness has spread. Kamakshi seems to be feeling better today; she has recovered on her own. Ákiljöf is away learning a herbal cure.
  • Delta Team again found a porcupine first thing this morning and shared it among themselves. After two more hunts they were able to catch a large mule deer and leave the rest of the pack with full bellies.
  • Darshan is now level 15!

Researcher's Corner

Indu developed symptoms of pox at the start of the season. I suspect she may have picked it up while scouting out prey but I've been unable to determine the disease's source. Regardless, she continued to hunt with the rest of her team even as her health declined quickly. It took her a good portion of the season to recover and thankfully it did not spread to any other members of the pack.

Khushi and Kaveri continued their sibling tussling for dominance for much of the season although it seems that since spring Khushi has taken her higher position and continues to hold it. Reva, meanwhile, another sister that for the past several months has remained quite distant and antisocial with the rest of the pack, has taken to joining in these squabbles; her focus seems to be on Kaveri, usually immediately after a bout with Khushi. And so poor Kaveri, who was once the dominant member of her litter, now at once struggles to hold her position as second against Reva and regain her position as first against Khushi.

At the peak of autumn Reva began showing signs of the flu. It spread first to Kamakshi, the alpha female, and then to Reva's smaller brother, Darshan. Kamakshi is already showing signs of improvement which gives me hope the pack will develop an immunity, but these viruses are highly contagious and I would not be surprised to see the entire pack infected at some point. This is not a hopeful note to be entering into winter on, but the sick members thus far continue to hunt so I have hope at least that they will not starve.

Game Caught This Season
48% Success Rate (32/67)
  • 4 of 7 large prey
  • 15 of 36 medium prey
  • 11 of 22 small prey
  • 2 of 2 critters
Pack Knowledge
  3. Pox Balm: Redwood Sorrel, Oregano & Yarrow
  4. Learning Influenza Cure: Pineapple Leaf x2 & Guaiacum x2

Next level up for 1st Litter expected to begin End of Winter, Year 11

Chantaey

Posted 2022-04-01 07:50:06

Winter, Year 11

Alpha Ákiljöf

1040 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1076 | L20 | ♀︎

Sága

βeta Stalker
939 | L17 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

βeta Finisher
930 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

βeta Chaser
915 | L17 | ♀︎

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
885 | L15 | ♀︎

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
879 | L15 | ♀︎

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
877 | L15 | ♂︎

Reva

ΔDelta Lead Chaser
875 | L15 | ♀︎

Indu

ΔDelta Stalker
868 | L15 | ♀︎

Start of Winter
  • Reva is feeling better this morning.
    • Darshan is still ill and lost 6 HP (38/44).
      • Kaveri and Ákveðni have been infected.
        • Ákiljöf is away seeking a cure at the Artisan's Hollow.
  • Although they had a slow start today, Delta Team was able to bring down a porcupine and a whitetail deer in order to feed the pack.
Early Winter
  • Kaveri had an early recovery and is feeling better today but the other infected pack members are still sick.
    • Darshan (27/44)
    • Ákveðni (40/46)
      • Reva and Sága are now sick as well.
        • Ákiljöf returned with three cures for the pack but immediately left to gather more.
  • Once again Delta Team had a slow start due to the virus but they were able to take down a mule deer and a porcupine in order to feed the pack.
  • Kaveri is now level 15!

I knew before I even made it home that the cures I'd managed to bring would not be enough for the pack. Myrica told me what these symptoms meant; influenza. So contagious it is all but guaranteed to double itself among the pack every couple of weeks. In truth, I expected to see the entire pack infected when I made it home but the fact that only four of us were down with it wasn't entirely comforting either. Although Myrica had kindly given up all of her herbs from the time I was there to trade for ingredients for a cure, we still only gathered enough materials to make three. It pains me to know I was one cure short of healing everyone.

Kamakshi and I decided these three cures should only be used in an emergency--if a family member becomes dangerously weak a cure will be used to give them a reprieve and a chance to heal. Or, in the best case, if enough of our pack recovers on their own to allow the three cures to eradicate the virus entirely. Myrica tells me the cures should keep so long as they are wrapped to keep them dry and buried to keep them cool. Meanwhile, I will immediately travel back to the Hollow. The virus is too infectious and the materials too rare to count on my level of skill at herb finding to be sufficient for the pack. I will gather as many herbs as I can to trade to the ageless bear; Myrica has also promised to contribute her findings should I return.

The journey will take me another six weeks, but I hope the cures I've left will keep my family safe while I am gone and that when I return I will have enough to be done with this virus once and for all.

Mid Winter
  • Ákveðni is feeling better today. None of the other sick members recovered and they all lost 6 HP;
    • Darshan (17/44)
    • Reva (38/44)
    • Sága (40/46)
      • Signý is now also showing symptoms of influenza.
        • Ákiljöf is away gathering herbs for cures.
  • Delta team got a late start today due to illness and failed nine of their hunts; succeeding only in bringing down a mule deer and partially feeding the pack. Reva, Darshan and Indu scavenged to fill their bellies.
Deep Winter
  • Signý recovered on her own at rollover, however the rest of the ill family members remain sick.
    • Darshan (11/44)
    • Reva (29/44)
    • Sága (34/46)
      • In addition, Indu, Kaveri and Khushi are now showing symptoms of influenza.
        • Ákiljöf is away gathering herbs for cures.
  • The hunters got a late start today due to illness. After two failed hunts the pack was fed by a beaver and a bighorn ram caught by Delta Team.

Late Winter
  • None of the pack recovered today.
    • Darshan's HP was so low (2/44) that one of the emergency cures was used to heal him.
    • Reva (21/44)
    • Sága (28/46)
    • Indu (35/44)
    • Kaveri (38/44)
    • Khushi (38/44)
      • Ákveðni and Signý have contracted the illness.
        • Ákiljöf returned with four more cures leaving the pack with a total of six.
  • Today it took Delta Team four failed hunts before they were able to feed the pack with a whitetail and a mule deer.

I returned from the Artisan's Hollow this time with four additional cures and the genuine hope that it would be enough to see the pack healed. Again, however, I find that I am a single cure short of being able to eradicate the virus. I am weary and worn from constant searching but I must believe that one more trip will be sufficient.

My son Darshan had grown so weak before I arrived that Kamakshi had used one of the cures on him. He still remains weak but will at least have a reprieve from the flu. His sister Reva is also growing weaker and may require a cure herself if she does not find the strength to recover on her own again. With the rest of the pack except for myself and Kamakshi infected, I know that my time to gather the remaining cures we need is limited.

And yet, I will remain at home for a short time. Kamakshi's heat is coming soon and I find I cannot leave her now. I must be certain a litter of pups will arrive for us this spring before I set out again. In the meantime I will continue to gather herbs for trade; it's all I can do until I'm certain Kamakshi is pregnant.

End of Winter
  • Sága and Indu recovered on their own but the other pack members are still sick:
    • Reva (16/44)
    • Kaveri (28/44)
    • Khushi (28/44)
    • Ákveðni (40/46)
    • Signý (40/46)
      • Kamakshi and Darshan have been infected. An emergency cure was used on Kamakshi to allow her to breed.
        • Ákiljöf spent the morning with Kamakshi and then set out again to the Artisan's Hollow for more cures.
  • Kamakshi is pregnant!
  • 5 Fail. Mountain Goat. Fail. Porcupine

Researcher's Corner

As I suspected would happen, the pack's lives this season have been completely consumed by the influenza virus. Throughout winter, one pack member would seem to recover only to be reinfected later. By late winter nearly every member of the pack was infected. There was one close call--one of the smallest members, Darshan, grew so weak he could no longer hunt, however after some rest he was back, shakily, on his feet again. It has been a trying time for all the pack members.

I believe the virus affected the pack's hunting as well. Of course winter is an unforgiving season for finding prey, but the pack actually failed so many hunts in mid winter that I saw a few of the younger members scavenging for the first time since I've been tracking the pack. They have also been making fewer attempts at trails this season--something I can only attribute to the prolonged rest periods required due to the flu. It has notably affected their growth but I can only hope that come spring and warmer weather their bodies will find the virus easier to fight off and they will get back on track.

The breeding female, Kamakshi, went into heat at the end of winter; it's the most I've seen of the alpha male, Ákiljöf, all season. I think it's safe to assume there will be puppies this spring, likely late in the season considering when she went into heat. The alpha pair are getting older; it's possible they could have another litter after this one before Kamakshi is too old but if they follow the habits of the previous alpha pair this litter will likely be their last. One of the forthcoming pups will probably become the pack's new alpha in just a couple years.

Game Caught This Season
29% Success Rate (15/51)
  • 0 of 3 large prey
  • 10 of 30 medium prey
  • 4 of 17 small prey
  • 1 of 1 critters
Pack Knowledge
  4. Influenza Cure: Pineapple Leaf x2 & Guaiacum x2

Next level up for 1st Litter expected to begin Start of Spring, Year 11
Puppies due to arrive High Spring, Year 11

Chantaey

Posted 2022-04-06 22:13:45 (edited)

Spring, Year 11

Alpha Ákiljöf

1043 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1076 | L20 | ♀︎

Largest Puppy

552 | L1 | ♂︎

New Puppy

549 | L1 | ♀︎

New Puppy

548 | L1 | ♂︎

Runt Puppy

528 | L1 | ♀︎

Sága

βeta Stalker
940 | L17 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

βeta Finisher
930 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

βeta Chaser
917 | L17 | ♀︎

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
924 | L16 | ♀︎

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
921 | L16 | ♂︎

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
920 | L16 | ♀︎

Reva

ΔDelta Lead Chaser
917 | L16 | ♀︎

Indu

ΔDelta Stalker
912 | L16 | ♀︎

Start of Spring
  • Reva, Signý and Darshan recovered on their own. The other pack members remain sick;
    • Khushi (14/44)
    • Kaveri (22/44)
    • Ákveðni (34/46)
      • Indu, Kamakshi, and Sága have been reinfected.
        • Ákiljöf is away acquiring more cures.
  • Despite a late start today, Delta Team only had one failure before they were able to bring down a big elk bull--enough meat to feed the whole pack!
  • Indu, Reva and Khushi are now level 16!
Early Spring
  • Ákveðni, Indu recovered on their own. The other pack members remain sick;
    • Khushi (39/45)
    • Kaveri (11/44)
    • Kamakshi (44/50)
    • Sága (40/46)
      • Darshan, Reva and Signý have been reinfected.
        • Ákiljöf returned with three more cures and was able to heal the entire pack. Myrica showed him how to make one cure stretch further.
  • Although healed, Delta Team was still recovering from the flu this morning. They got a late start and failed four hunts but they were eventually able to bring down a mule deer, and later a moose cow! This was more than enough meat to feed the pack, including the extra hungry alpha female.
  • Darshan is now level 16!

Mid Spring
  • Delta Team is feeling much better today! They only failed two hunts before they were able to feed the pack with a bighorn ram and ewe.
  • Kaveri is now level 16!
High Spring
  • Puppies are born!
  • Delta Team only failed one hunt today while stalking a mule deer herd. They were able to bring down two to feed the whole pack.

Late Spring
  • The pack fed from elk and caribou today.
  • Kaveri was wounded on a hunt; she will not be able to hunt for the rest of the day!
  • Indu received a small injury on a hunt; she has developed discomfort and a fever. These symptoms are unfamiliar to the pack.
    • Ákiljöf is preparing to leave for the Artisan's Hollow to learn a cure.
  • A strange male entered the pack's territory today but was chased out.
End of Spring
  • Kaveri recovered on her own from her wound today. She now has a large scar over her left eye.
  • Indu is still unwell today; she lost 4 HP (41/45).
    • Ákiljöf is traveling to the Artisan's Hollow to research a cure.
  • The pack fed from whitetail and mule deer today.

Researcher's Corner

The pack hierarchy saw some changes over winter which did not become apparent until spring once all the members had recovered from the flu virus. Khushi, who had been tussling on occasion to maintain her top position among her litter has now left her sister's competition well behind and earned a place among the ranks of her older, more experienced aunts.

The dynamic of the rest of Delta Team has changed as well. Where previously Reva was competing with Kaveri for her spot as second, her brother Darshan now seems intent on putting her in her place, going so far as to take her spot as third, and contest with Kaveri for a position as second. It's a fascinating development since Darshan's personality prior to this last winter was always quite subdued and shy--I never expected to see him have any motivation to leave his sister Indu's side and push higher in the ranks.

Both Darshan and Kaveri, in fact, have joined Khushi and pushed into the ranks of their aunts, putting their smaller aunt Signý, who was the runt of her litter, below them in the hierarchy. The older hunters have actually been doing very little hunting for the past couple seasons and so I suspect it will not be long before all of them give up their pack rank to the alphas' entire first litter. This has been typical of the pack for the last decade; older members allow the young ones to gain experience and strength, stepping in only when there are gaps to fill in productivity or efficiency. This means the older pack members 'retire' early which gives the younger members a chance to reach their full potential as quickly as possible.

Kaveri was wounded again this season leading me to believe she lacks a bit of caution or restraint as the pack's finisher, or else is exceptionally unlucky. She recovered quickly, however, and now has yet another scar to show for it. The most exciting news for the season, of course, is the birth of a new litter of puppies!

I have confirmed there are four new pups and while it is too early to be certain they will all survive, having been born in spring gives them the best chance I could hope for. By high summer I should be able to determine their gender as well as assign them names and provide a more detailed description of them. As mentioned in the winter report, it's very possible that one of these pups will be the pack's next alpha in just a couple years--it's so exciting to see the future growing in front of my own eyes!

Game Caught This Season
52% Success Rate (29/56)
  • 9 of 23 large prey
  • 20 of 30 medium prey
  • 2 of 4 small prey
  • 0 of 0 critters
Pack Knowledge

Next level up for 1st Litter expected to begin Early Summer, Year 11

Chantaey

Posted 2022-04-12 16:28:52 (edited)

Summer, Year 11

Alpha Ákiljöf

1051 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1076 | L20 | ♀︎

Rohan

552 | L1 | ♂︎

Saaya

549 | L1 | ♀︎

Nikhil

548 | L1 | ♂︎

Leela

528 | L1 | ♀︎

Khoya

481 | L1 | ♀︎

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
970 | L17 | ♀︎

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
966 | L17 | ♀︎

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
963 | L17 | ♂︎

Reva

ΔDelta Lead Chaser
961 | L17 | ♀︎

Indu

ΔDelta Stalker
955 | L17 | ♀︎

Sága

βeta Stalker
942 | L17 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

βeta Finisher
930 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

βeta Chaser
918 | L17 | ♀︎

Start of Summer
  • Indu is still unwell today; she lost 4 HP (37/45).
    • Ákiljöf is at the Artisan's Hollow seeking a cure.
  • The pack fed from beaver and mule deer.
Early Summer
  • Indu is still unwell today; she lost 4 HP (32/45).
    • Ákiljöf is at the Artisan's Hollow seeking a cure.
  • Khushi, Reva, Indu and Darshan are now level 17!
  • The pack fed from a moose cow.

Mid Summer
  • Indu is still unwell today; she lost 4 HP (39/46).
    • Ákiljöf returned without a cure
  • The pack fed today from two mule deer.
  • During training, Signý explained how important it is not only to hide out of sight, but also out of scent range. Concealing scent is much more difficult than finding a good hiding spot, but it could be the difference between life and death.

Myrica told me Indu's symptoms show signs of an infection. It's not common, she tells me, but she has no cure for it . . . and it will gradually get worse until we lose her. How do I tell my daughter I can't help her? That her time with her family is limited? How do I accept it myself? It's too hard to believe there is nothing I can do, but without Myrica's help, I have nowhere left to turn. I will find a way to tell my family and we will make the most of the time we have.

High Summer
  • Indu is suffering from her infection; she lost 4 HP (27/46).
  • The pack fed from an elk cow and a mule deer.
  • A lost puppy was found wandering in the territory. Ákiljöf decided to adopt it.
  • Kaveri is now level 17!
  • During training:
    • Nikhil put some medicine on Leela's cut like Sága showed him. Sága wagged her tail in approval once Nikhil had finished.
    • Meanwhile, Saaya caught sight of a bushy gray tail darting under a bush and acted quickly under Signý's watchful gaze. She only managed to catch a clump of gray fur from the squirrel, but her speed was improving!
    • Khoya concentrated on the bumblebee hovering above a large, white flower. Nothing else existed in this very special moment, and Signý couldn't help but watch in approval.

Ákiljöf came home with a strange pup today and it's truly taking all I have not to be angry at him. We've only just gotten the news that Indu is dying and we have our own pups to take care of not to mention recovering from our reeling long enough to tend to the emotions of the rest of the family and help Indu accept what is happening. Another puppy, a weak one, hardly has room for our attention.

And yet . . . I see my mate's sorrow and the way he tries to hide it from the family. It's not hard to believe he feels some sort of retribution in being able to help a strange puppy the way we can't help our daughter. But the little one is so weak--who knows how long she was left alone. Obviously starved by herself. We may end up losing both of them, and I truly fear the anguish that would bring down on Ákiljöf.

Late Summer
  • Indu is suffering from her infection; she lost 4 HP (19/46).
  • The pack fed from a moose cow.
  • Darshan came home from a hunt today with a batch of ticks. This ailment is familiar to the pack. Ákiljöf has begun searching for the necessary herbs.
  • During training:
    • Saaya was in charge of describing everything she saw today while out exploring with Ákveðni, down to the last detail. She struggled more than she expected, not realizing just how hard it was to rely upon her memory.
    • Meanwhile, Signý led Khoya to a place where hiding spots were not so obvious. Khoya had to think out of the box to outsmart Signý.
    • Nikhil had some problems with drawing a line between teamwork and playtime with his littermates. Sága was serious when they told them that bonding and working together were not the same thing.
End of Summer
  • Indu is suffering from her infection; she lost 4 HP (8/46).
  • Darshan was able to recover from the tick infestation on his own.
  • The pack fed from a moose bull.
  • During training:
    • Every time Leela found the toy, she was allowed to play with it for a bit. Sága is sure that rewarding her technique will be beneficial for her growth.
    • Rohan learned a camouflage technique today - rolling in mud, dirt and herbivore poop distracted Ákveðni enough to steal the toy from under her paws! Ákveðni congratulated him on his cleverness.
    • Khoya managed to come really close, studying the bird in fascination. Her stalking skills were improving, but the future prey was so pretty and interesting that Khoya completely forgot about chasing it.

Researcher's Corner

The pups have grown strong this summer, as I hoped they would! They weaned in mid summer and have begun exploring outside the den and learning from their family members. I have no concerns now about their survival--they all grew strong and capable quickly--even the runt!

The largest pup is a steele colored male with a black half stripe like his mother's. I've named him Rohan. There is another dark grey male, also with his mother's black stripe, named Nikhil, and a jet black female, almost the spitting image of her father, named Saaya. I've named the runt Leela--she is also a jet black female but with prominent white markings; in fact she closely resembles her older brother Darshan.

There was also an unexpected addition to the pack this season. A stray puppy about the same age as the new litter was found by the alpha male, Ákiljöf, and brought home to the pack. Although hesitant about her, the family seems to have accepted the strange pup. I cannot guess where she came from as she is various shades of brown where most of the nearby packs are primarily shades of grey, but regardless she seems to have a home for the time being. It is obvious she has been alone for a while and I can't be certain she'll survive as her condition is a good deal worse from the rest of the pups but I'll keep tabs on her and hope for the best.

The alphas' first litter have fully and officially taken over the ranking of their aunts now. The older wolves seem perfectly content to abandon their positions to the younger members who are undeniably skilled and experienced now. Instead, the alpha male's litter mates seem intent on preparing the newest generation. The older females are often observed tending to and playing with the young puppies. Meanwhile, Darshan continues to compete with Kaveri for her spot as second while Khushi is comfortably beyond their tussling and Reva seems to have been left well behind in her spot as fourth.

In darker news, the Delta Team stalker, Indu's, health seems to be deteriorating quickly. She has no real visible signs of illness or injury aside from her increasing weakness but I've noticed the pack giving her a good deal more attention since mid summer. Her condition has been declining rapidly since late summer and I see no signs of improvement. Whatever it is, it doesn't appear contagious--the rest of the pack is unaffected as yet--but I'm afraid that fact is little help to Indu. I've seen other pack members get this weak from wounds or their battle with the flu last winter, but without knowing what is wrong with her it's hard to hope she will recover. I'm afraid the pack might be looking at it's first casualty before autumn.

Game Caught This Season
54% Success Rate (28/52)
  • 9 of 19 large prey
  • 13 of 24 medium prey
  • 6 of 8 small prey
  • 0 of 1 critters
Pack Knowledge

Next level up for 1st Litter expected to begin Deep Autumn, Year 12

Chantaey

Posted 2022-04-20 20:07:41

Autumn, Year 12

Year 5 of Ákiljöf's Reign

Alpha Ákiljöf

1057 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1078 | L20 | ♀︎

Rohan

557 | L1 | ♂︎

Saaya

554 | L1 | ♀︎

Nikhil

554 | L1 | ♂︎

Leela

533 | L1 | ♀︎

Khoya

488 | L1 | ♀︎

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
1018 | L18 | ♀︎

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
1018 | L18 | ♀︎

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
1013 | L18 | ♂︎

Reva

ΔDelta Lead Chaser
1009 | L18 | ♀︎

Sága

ΔDelta Stalker
988 | L18 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

Mentor
934 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

Mentor
920 | L17 | ♀︎

Start of Autumn
  • Indu is suffering from the infection; current HP 0/46. She is too weak to hunt today.
    • Sága has joined the Delta Team to act as stalker.
  • During training:
    • Signý showed Rohan that every time they take a herb from nature, they must put a small piece of it back into the earth. This is so the herb can sprout again and continue to provide what the pack needs.
    • Nikhil leaped into the air, going after a dead bird that Kamakshi had thrown into the air to simulate flight. He was able to grab it and pin it down, standing on the wings and going for the neck like Kamakshi showed him.
    • Saaya stalked the birds in silence. Focused and alert, she felt she was improving really fast and told Ákveðni it was her favorite lesson.
Early Autumn
  • Indu succumbed to her infection during the night; rest in peace.
  • Khoya sneaked out and followed the pack's hunters, eager to learn how adults fill their roles. She was unable to keep up and match their quick pace and ended up getting lost. A few hours later, she returned home, but not without a few large, prickly thorns stuck deep in her paw pads. Oh no! Khoya gained a small injury and suffered -4 HP.
  • During training:
    • Khoya was dropped on a very crackly underbrush with a lot of pebbles today. The challenge was to make the least amount of sound possible and get to Signý in less than five minutes, otherwise they had to start over. It was a very cronchy day.
    • Nikhil patiently practiced using his voice and the strong will was clear in the young pup. The result was still far from an adult wolf but he was definitely not a beginner anymore!
    • Saaya learned being the fastest isn't always the only necessary factor of success. Ákveðni explained basic methods of fooling a potential prey or a pursuer.
  • A strange female entered the pack's territory but was chased away.

Mid Autumn
  • The Dreamlands have drawn close.
  • Khushi and Reva are now level 18!
  • During training:
    • Saaya expertly rolled and flipped a littermate onto their back, pinning them against the ground. Ákveðni nodded in approval at her technique, and explained how tactical moves are the most effective.
    • Khoya spent this lesson racing with her littermates. Everyone is different and has their own strengths, and Signý made sure that everyone knew that one day they would become the best version of themselves.
    • The good manners lesson went awry today when Nikhil started inventing bizarre and funny excuses to make everyone laugh instead of learning how to apologize with respect. Kamakshi was serious in scolding him, but he noticed her smiling when the other pups weren't looking.
Deep Autumn
  • Darshan and Sága are now level 18!

Late Autumn
  • Kaveri is now level 18!
End of Autumn
  • All was quiet.

Researcher's Corner

As I was afraid would happen, the pack lost Indu, it's youngest stalker. She was already very weak at the start of autumn and was unable to hunt with her litter mates, but she hung on a little longer, passing in early autumn. She is the pack's first casualty of anything other than old age. It is a harsh reminder that these wolves live in the wild and that there are many dangers.

When it was safe I recovered samples to determine what had happened to her. The results showed she died of a serious infection but I found no obvious signs of where it came from--it's possible she was fighting it for quite a long time. Her aunt, one of the alpha's litter mates, Sága, joined Delta Team to fill Indu's empty position as stalker. Delta Team is no longer synonymous for Ákiljöf and Kamakshi's first litter which is an odd thing to feel sad about, but I find it only piles onto her loss.

In light of Indu's loss and the pack's struggle with the flu last winter, I've begun development of a program that will allow the pack to be rehabilitated if there are ever more significant losses. This will, unfortunately, require a member of the pack to be removed from the rest of their family; it's a hard decision I will not make lightly. In order to reduce the stress on the pack I hope to make the capture when both Kamakshi and Ákiljöf have passed and the pack is in a natural transition period.

In other news, the alphas' second litter is doing well. It was fascinating to watch them learning from their aunts and following the adults around--they certainly developed quite a bit of personality this season. Khoya, the adopted pup, spent a brief period apparently lost in early autumn--it is perhaps in her nature to wander, considering how she came to join the pack in the first place--but she did eventually return with a scarred paw and no further harm. By deep autumn all the pups had grown into strong, lanky adolescents and have since been joining their older siblings, along with Sága, during hunts. So long as they all make it through winter they will be nearly full grown by spring.

The pack hierarchy has changed little since last season; all the pack members remain in the same positions in which they started the season. Darshan, however, has ceased competing with Kaveri for her spot as second. I suspect that he was the closest family member to Indu and is likely suffering from her loss. Without pressure from Darshan, Kaveri has begun competing with Khushi again for her position as first--it has been quite a long time since Kaveri has been this close to dominance over all her siblings but I doubt Khushi will give up the position easily.

Game Caught This Season
62% Success Rate (31/50)
  • 14 of 20 large prey
  • 10 of 22 medium prey
  • 6 of 7 small prey
  • 1 of 1 critters
Pack Knowledge

Chantaey

Posted 2022-04-25 07:46:48 (edited)

Winter, Year 12

Alpha Ákiljöf

1064 | L20 | ♂︎

Alpha Kamakshi

1079 | L20 | ♀︎

Rohan

562 | L1 | ♂︎

Nikhil

559 | L1 | ♂︎

Saaya

558 | L1 | ♀︎

Leela

538 | L1 | ♀︎

Khoya

494 | L1 | ♀︎

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
1064 | L19 | ♀︎

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
1025 | L18 | ♀︎

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
1058 | L19 | ♂︎

Reva

ΔDelta Lead Chaser
1054 | L19 | ♀︎

Sága

ΔDelta Stalker
994 | L18 | ♀︎

Ákveðni

Mentor
934 | L17 | ♀︎

Signý

Mentor
920 | L17 | ♀︎

Start of Winter
  • The dreamlands are near.
  • All was quiet.
Early Winter
  • The dreamlands are near.
  • All was quiet.

Mid Winter
  • The dreamlands have faded.
  • All was quiet.
Deep Winter
  • All was quiet.

Late Winter
  • All was quiet.
End of Winter
  • Khushi, Reva and Darshan are now level 19!
  • Reva was badly wounded on a hunt. She will not be able to hunt for the rest of the day.
    • Ákiljöf is seeking herbs for a salve.

Researcher's Corner

This winter has been very uneventful for the pack which, as winters go, is really quite good news. They have been feeding well--Sága's skills as a stalker have helped Delta team continue to hunt large game, and although their success rate is down from other seasons, the pack has not suffered for it. Reva wounded a hind leg on a hunt at the end of the season and will of course need some time to heal but the pack members generally do well recovering from hunting accidents and with spring just around the corner, I think her chances of healing are good.

Competition between Khushi and Kaveri has remained fierce throughout the season; Khushi seems to have lost and then re-won her position as first multiple times over the last couple months and will likely continue to do so into Spring before one of them comes out as a decided, if temporary, victor. The youngsters in the second litter, meanwhile, have begun imitating their older siblings; Nikhil has taken over as second in his litter although Saaya has not given up the position easily. I would not be surprised if those two in particular continue to vie for position well into their adult lives.

Game Caught This Season
31% Success Rate (16/51)
  • 9 of 30 large prey
  • 4 of 17 medium prey
  • 3 of 3 small prey
  • 0 of 1 critters
Pack Knowledge

Chantaey

Posted 2022-05-03 10:57:03 (edited)

Spring, Year 12

Alpha Ákiljöf

1070 | L20 | ♂︎
1.3 (Grárfax)*

Alpha Kamakshi

1079 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated Blood

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
1076 | L19 | ♀︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
1072 | L19 | ♀︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
1067 | L19 | ♂︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Reva

ΔDelta Chaser
1063 | L19 | ♀︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Sága

Mentor
1038 | L19 | ♀︎
1.3 (Grárfax)

Ákveðni

Mentor
934 | L17 | ♀︎
1.3 (Grárfax)

Signý

βeta Chaser
924 | L17 | ♀︎
1.3 (Grárfax)

Rohan

Alpha-in-Training
687 | L7 | ♂︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Nikhil

ΔDelta Stalker
658 | L5 | ♂︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Saaya

βeta Finisher
658 | L5 | ♀︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Leela

βeta Stalker
637 | L5 | ♀︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Khoya

βeta Chaser
586 | L5 | ♀︎
2.2 (Adopted)

Start of Spring
  • Reva recovered from her wound on her own. She now has a scar on her upper left hind leg.
  • Sága is now level 19!
Early Spring
  • Kaveri is now level 19!
  • A strange male entered the territory but did not stay.

Mid Spring
High Spring
  • The alphas' second litter graduated into their adult roles today!
  • Rohan, Nikhil, Saaya, Leela and Khoya are now level 2!
  • Rohan is now level 3!

I can appreciate that our parents want to give our younger siblings the chance to grow strong like we did, but replacing Sága on our team with Nikhil? He knows nothing about stalking. Every single one of us could find more game trails than he could . . .

I understand we lost Indu, I understand Sága is getting older, and I understand that Nikhil has to learn somehow, but couldn't he and Leela take turns stalking for the younger team? Better yet one of them could have been trained as a chaser in the first place so poor Saaya isn't left to handle it alone once Signý isn't around to help anymore.

I -- I want to be agreeable . . . I just . . . I would have done things differently.

Late Spring
  • Saaya, Leela, Khoya and Nikhil are now level 3!
  • Rohan, Nikhil, Saaya, Leela and Khoya are now level 4!
  • Rohan is now level 5!
End of Spring
  • Rohan is now level 6!
  • Saaya, Leela and Khoya are now level 4!
  • Nikhil is now level 5!
  • Rohan is now level 7!

Researcher's Corner

The wound that Reva started spring with healed quickly. She has a scar on her left upper hind leg now, but she barely missed any hunting. Compared to her siblings in the past, she got quite lucky. Meanwhile, the newest litter had their first birthday and as expected they have begun hunting with their family as a part of the pack.

Nikhil was fortunate enough to be adopted into Delta Team as their new stalker while his aunt Sága retires back into her easy life as an elder wolf of the family. Leela, Khoya and Saaya, along with the help of their aunt Signý as a chaser, have made up a second hunting team, adopting the old title of Beta Team. I expect both teams will struggle for a while as the young stalkers learn the tricks of the game in the Taiga, but hopefully they will continue to grow quickly.

Having two of the new litter serve as stalkers for the pack makes sense since the loss of Indu, however it upsets the balance of the pack some as it requires the teams to alternate so that all the pups gain experience, meaning they won't grow quite as quickly as they have in the past.

In other news, Rohan, the largest pup of the newest litter was left out of the hunting teams and instead seems to be following his father almost everywhere. This circumstance is ideal for my recovery program; my hope is that the young Rohan will be an easier target to capture as he's more likely to be separated from the rest of the pack. My team also found a beautiful female that could make an ideal mate for him--she is young and quite wild--rescued from an abusive situation. I believe she may have been captured illegally and is very wary of humans which could make her an ideal candidate for reintroduction if anything ever happens to the pack.

Game Caught This Season
64% Success Rate (47/74)
  • 9 of 21 large prey
  • 3 of 6 medium prey
  • 18 of 28 small prey
  • 17 of 19 critters
Pack Knowledge

* New numbers now indicate the wolf's relation to the original bloodline. The first number indicates which alpha they descend from and the second number indicates which litter they were a part of. So "1.3 (Grárfax)" means that wolf came from the 1st Alpha's 3rd Litter while "2.1 (Ákiljöf)" would mean that wolf came from the 2nd Alpha's 1st Litter. The name in parenthesis indicates their closest bloodline alpha for easier reference.

Chantaey

Posted 2022-05-07 07:56:16 (edited)

Summer, Year 12

Alpha Ákiljöf

1072 | L20 | ♂︎
1.3 (Grárfax)

Alpha Kamakshi

1079 | L20 | ♀︎
Unrelated Blood

Khushi

ΔDelta Chaser
1087 | L19 | ♀︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Kaveri

ΔDelta Finisher
1080 | L19 | ♀︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Darshan

ΔDelta Chaser
1075 | L19 | ♂︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Reva

ΔDelta Chaser
1070 | L19 | ♀︎
2.1 (Ákiljöf)

Zahir

βeta Chaser
1040 | L18 | ♂︎
Unrelated Blood

Sága

Mentor
1038 | L19 | ♀︎
1.3 (Grárfax)

Signý

βeta Chaser
970 | L18 | ♀︎
1.3 (Grárfax)

Ákveðni

Mentor
934 | L17 | ♀︎
1.3 (Grárfax)

Rohan

Alpha-in-Training
746 | L10 | ♂︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Nikhil

ΔDelta Stalker
704 | L8 | ♂︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Saaya

βeta Finisher
692 | L7 | ♀︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Leela

βeta Stalker
671 | L7 | ♀︎
2.2 (Ákiljöf)

Khoya

βeta Chaser
621 | L7 | ♀︎
2.2 (Adopted)

Start of Summer
  • Khoya and Nikhil both returned from a hunt today with symptoms of the flu.
    • Ákiljöf is preparing to go to the Artisan's Hollow for cures before it spreads too far.
  • Rohan is now level 8!
Early Summer
  • Influenza has infected the pack:
    • Both Khoya and Nikhil remain infected.
    • Kamakshi is now showing signs of infection.
      • Ákiljöf and Rohan are traveling to the Artisan's Hollow for cures.
  • Leela, Khoya, and Saaya are now level 6!

Mid Summer
    • Kamakshi recovered from the illness on her own.
    • Both Khoya and Nikhil remain infected.
    • Khushi, Ákveðni and Signý have caught the flu.
      • Ákiljöf and Rohan are traveling to the Artisan's Hollow for cures.
  • Nikhil is now level 6!
High Summer
    • Ákveðni recovered on her own.
    • Khoya, Nikhil, Khushi and Signý remain infected.
    • Sága, Saaya, Leela and Kaveri have caught the flu.
      • Ákiljöf and Rohan returned from the Artisan's Hollow with 8 cures.
  • Rohan is now level 9!
  • A new wolf, Zahir, has joined the pack!
  • Leela, Khoya and Saaya are now level 7!

We knew what to do this time when we saw the symptoms of the flu--by far one of the worst sicknesses that has ever hit our pack. It's not humility that makes me admit that I could not have gathered enough cures on my own. I took Rohan with me to travel to the Hollow; he helped me gather herbs on the way and with his help we ended up with twice as many herbs to trade to the old bear for cures. Myrica again contributed her own findings, as much as she could, and reminded me of the technique to split one cure into enough for two wolves. Even Zahir, the hollow's scout, helped us seek out herbs to trade. For once when I returned home we had enough to cure everyone that had been infected thus far and it was not without the help of all those involved that we succeeded.

In the rush of our task, we also ended up picking up a new pack member. Zahir expressed an interest in joining our pack--he was undaunted by the potential plague infecting us--stating he hoped for a less lonely life than what he led at the Hollow. I admit I was a bit too distracted to think the decision through too carefully, but as he's a scout I hope to employ him as a chaser on our newest hunting team. He seems like a decent fellow, anyway, and for his help collecting herbs it seems fair to give him a chance.

Late Summer
  • Nikhil is now level 7!
  • Nikhil and Leela both found their first medium prey trail.
  • Khushi was wounded on a hunt. She will not be able to hunt for the rest of the day.
    • Ákiljöf has taken Rohan out to look for herbs to help her heal.
  • Rohan is now level 10!
End of Summer
  • Khushi's wound has not healed yet.
    • Ákiljöf and Rohan are still seeking herbs to help her recover.
  • Signý is now level 18!
  • Zahir returned from a hunt today with a colony of ticks!
    • Ákiljöf and Rohan will look for herbs to get rid of them.
  • The necessary herbs were found for Khushi's wound and have been applied to help her heal. She now has a small scar on her foot.
  • Nikhil is now level 8!

Researcher's Corner

The pack experienced another flu scare at the beginning of this season. The alpha disappeared again, as seems to be his habit when a pack member is hurt or sick, but this time his stronger son, Rohan, went with him. I considered making my capture then; I was afraid my ideal candidate might fall ill and I'd lose him, but I was more afraid the stress of the event for the pack might hinder their recovery. Although it took most of the summer, they did recover without any losses. Actually, from observing them, I think the reappearance of the illness might have been more stressful for me than it was for the wolves.

Beyond that, the youngest pups continue to grow steadily. The young Rohan is growing so much faster than the other pups I almost wonder whether I'm doing the pack a disservice by taking him from them. But I have to remember it's for the pack's long-term good, not to mention he is likely to help other packs as well as part of a rehabilitation program. And of course the paperwork is already in progress. By this time next year I expect everything will be finalized and I'll be looking for my opportunity to relocate my star pupil.

In other news, a new wolf joined the pack in high summer, a beautiful black male with dominant grey and white markings and some brown undertones. It's the first time the pack has accepted an outsider as a pack member rather than an alpha's mate since the first alpha's original litter was born 12 years ago! I named him Zahir and he seems to have settled into the pack's hierarchy quite smoothly. He joined the Beta Team as a chaser and is well-suited to it. He is also well-mannered with the other pack members, possibly due to the fact he's on the upper side of middle-aged. Despite being part of Beta Team and spending a majority of his time with the younger pack members he seems to get a fair amount of attention from Delta Team, namely Khushi and Kaveri. I suspect there might be some aggression from the alphas this breeding season . . .

Khushi was wounded in late summer but it was a minor injury; she recovered quickly with only a small scar on her hind leg. My guess is she took a wayward path through some thorns or some other silly misstep. It was good to see her recover quickly; she continues to hold dominance over the rest of her siblings and I find myself kind of . . . rooting for her these days. In addition, Zahir has been in obvious discomfort here at the end of the season. It's hard to be certain but judging from the amount of scratching he's doing and the odd clumps in his fur I suspect he may have picked up a colony of ticks just like the alpha's older sister Miki did in spring three years ago. It's not a horribly debilitating condition but I hope he recovers soon.

Finally, the division of the pups between two different hunting teams has triggered an exciting change of strategy for the pack. Rather than one team staying behind at the rendezvous while the other hunts, both teams are now hunting simultaneously. This is a monumental change to say the least! Not only will it allow the pups to grow faster, it should also provide more food for the pack and therefore allow their numbers to continue to increase. At fifteen strong I genuinely thought I'd seen the limit of this pack's size but maybe, just maybe, this change in strategy will mean otherwise.

Game Caught This Season
73% Success Rate (59/81)
  • 1 of 1 large prey
  • 1 of 2 medium prey
  • 31 of 48 small prey
  • 26 of 30 critters
Pack Knowledge

* New numbers now indicate the wolf's relation to the original bloodline. The first number indicates which alpha they descend from and the second number indicates which litter they were a part of. So "1.3 (Grárfax)" means that wolf came from the 1st Alpha's 3rd Litter while "2.1 (Ákiljöf)" would mean that wolf came from the 2nd Alpha's 1st Litter. The name in parenthesis indicates their closest bloodline alpha for easier reference.

Chantaey

Search Topic