7y 1½m | 6.2

Jing

Elder
1302 | L20 | ♀︎
Weight: 90%
7y 1½m | 6.2

July 1 - 6, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

Alpha Tariel, Jing, and Ru have all retired from hunting this spring--it's a sure sign that the eldest members of the pack are truly growing old. It's difficult to face the inevitable loss of pack members, an alpha in particular, but I do look forward to seeing who takes over for Tariel. She's done a spectacular job for the pack, leading it alone all this time. It's sad to see that she never took a new mate but having reached an age where she can no longer keep up with the hunters, I think it's clear now that we'll see no more pups from her.

Beyond this news, there has been little excitement this season. We saw a couple injuries (Anastasia is still suffering from an open wound) and Finn had a brief mange infection, but otherwise the ear mites still continue to plague the pack. They're getting on quite well despite being short whichever hunters end up afflicted--I have no doubt Tariel's decision to move the pack south to easier hunting grounds saved more than a couple from starvation--but I genuinely hoped that spring would see the end of the infestation. Fewer members are sick, of course, with only Bezar and Adaline currently carrying the mites into summer, but it only takes one pack member to spread the mites to others, so I'm afraid I won't be holding my breath that they recover in the following season.

Start of Spring (July 1)
  • Ru and Jing are rid of the ear mites however they spread to Adaline and Alpha Tariel.

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alpha team took down a moose bull. Beta team killed a bison. The pack appears back to their full weight.
      • Week 2: The pack is well fed and does not hunt this week.
Level-ups
  • Level 11 - Anastasia
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Ginger, Adaline, Alpha Tariel
Early Spring (July 2)
  • Elene and Ginger are free of ear mites however they spread to Jing.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alpha team is only able to find a muskrat. Beta team hunts a moose cow.
      • Week 4: The pack is well fed and does not hunt this week.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Adaline, Alpha Tariel, Jing

Mid Spring (July 3)
  • Adaline and Jing are free of ear mites however they have spread to Ginger and Elene.
  • Tariel, Jing and Ru are too old to accompany the hunts and have retired to mentors. Hunting teams are rearranged to accommodate.
  • Finn develops symptoms of mange.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Alpha team took down a moose bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
      • Week 6: The pack is well fed and does not hunt this week.
Level-ups
  • Level 11 - Levon, Bezar
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Alpha Tariel, Ginger, Elene
  • Mange - Finn (44 HP)
High Spring (July 4)
  • Alpha Tariel, Ginger and Elene are free of ear mites however they have spread to Jing.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team hunts a porcupine. Beta team hunts a small deer.
      • Week 8: Alpha team takes down another porcupine. Beta team hunts a whitetail deer.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Jing
  • Mange - Finn (38 HP)

Late Spring (July 5)
  • Finn recovers from mange however the ear mites have spread to Bezar.
  • Everett is injured on the porcupine hunt and has an open wound. He will have a scar on his hind leg.
  • Anastasia is injured and has an open wound. She will have a scar on her muzzle.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team hunts a porcupine. Elene let the prey slip away from Beta team but they ambushed a grouse on the way home.
      • Week 10: Alpha tan takes down a moose cow.
Level-ups
  • Level 14 - Ginger
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Jing, Bezar
  • Open Wound - Everett (26 HP), Anastasia (26 HP)
End of Spring (July 6)
  • Jing recovers from ear mites but they spread to Adaline. Everett recovers from his wound.

• Hunting
      • Week 11: Alpha team hunts down a whitetail buck. Everett and Levon are only able to find a stoat. Still hungry, Levon and Elene return to last week's kill.
      • Week 12: Alpha team hunts another whitetail.
Level-ups
  • Level 17 - Everett
  • Level 11 - Elene
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Bezar, Adaline
  • Anastasia (17 HP)

Chantaey

Posted 2023-07-18 15:06:25

Summer, Year 31

Year 1 of Adaline's Reign

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1277 | L20 | ♀︎
4y 3½m | 7.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1099 | L17 | ♂︎
4y 3½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1040 | L16 | ♂︎
Weight: 100%
3y 3½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
969 | L15 | ♀︎
3y 3½m | 7.2

Anastasia

Alpha Chaser
921 | L13 | ♀︎
2y 4½m | 8.1

Elene

Beta Finisher
840 | L11 | ♀︎
2y 4½m | 8.1

Bezar

Beta Chaser
821 | L11 | ♂︎
2y 4½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
782 | L12 | ♂︎
2y 4½m | 8.1

Ru

Elder
1343 | L20 | ♂︎
7y 4½m | 6.2

Jing

Elder
1302 | L20 | ♀︎
7y 4½m | 6.2

July 7 - 12, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

Alpha Tariel was lost this summer. She was old, and her passing did not seem to cause undue stress to the pack--likely they could sense her time was coming. Amid the pack's weariness from the mites, Tariel's loss was a quiet one. She went with dignity and the pack handled her passing in the same way. Adaline, the largest and most able-bodied female has stepped into the role of alpha with no challenges from the rest of her family.

The ear mites continue to plague the pack and it's starting to feel as though they'll never be rid of the pests. The wolves are thriving, as much as they can under the constant discomfort of the mites, and have enough experienced hunters to keep themselves fed even with so many sick, but I do hope they'll find relief soon.

With Adaline now leading the pack, she'll be on the lookout for a mate, and I expect one will be much easier to find with a healthy pack. Let's all keep sending them our best wishes.

Start of Summer (July 7)
  • Bezar recovers from ear mites however they spread to Finn.
  • Anastasia's wound heals.

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alpha team hunts a beaver. Beta team hunts a porcupine.
      • Week 2: Alpha team hunts another beaver. Beta team took down a deer doe.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 12 - Anastasia
  • Illnesses
    • Ear mites - Adaline, Finn
Early Summer (July 8)
  • Adaline is free of ear mites.
  • Ginger is injured and has an open wound. She will have a scar on her hind leg.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alpha team is only able to find a muskrat. Beta team takes down a blacktail deer.
      • Week 4: Alpha team takes down an elk bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
  • Illnesses
    • Ear Mites - Finn
    • Open Wound - Ginger (26 HP)

Mid Summer (July 9)
  • Finn is free of ear mites however they have passed to Elene.
  • Alpha Tariel passes of old age. Rest in peace.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Alpha team hunts a mule deer. Beta team takes down a moose cow.
      • Week 6: Alpha team kills a porcupine. Beta team lost track of their prey during the chase but ambushed a pheasant hen in the way home. Still hungry, Ru and Jing return to last weeks kill to fill their bellies.
  • Illnesses
    • Ear Mites - Elene
    • Open Wound - Ginger (20 HP)
High Summer (July 10)
  • The ear mites spread to Ru.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team takes down an elk bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
      • Week 8: Alpha team hunts a moose bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
  • Illnesses
    • Ear Mites - Elene, Ru
    • Open Wound - Ginger (14 HP)

Late Summer (July 11)
  • Ginger recovers from her open wound and Elene is free of ear mites.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team takes down a moose bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
      • Week 10: Alpha team kills a bison. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 15 - Ginger
    • Level 13 - Anastasia
    • Level 12 - Levon
  • Illnesses
    • Ear Mites - Ru
End of Summer (July 12)
  • Ru is free of ear mites however they have spread to Adaline.
  • Finn is injured and has an open wound. He will have a scar on his side.

• Hunting
      • Week 11: Alpha team takes down an elk cow. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
      • Week 12: Alpha team hunts a moose cow. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
  • Illnesses
    • Ear Mites - Alpha Adaline
    • Open Wound - Finn (26 HP)

Chantaey

Posted 2023-07-19 20:05:37

Autumn, Year 31

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1288 | L20 | ♀︎
4y 6½m | 7.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1109 | L17 | ♂︎
4y 6½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1051 | L16 | ♂︎
Weight: 100%
3y 6½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
979 | L15 | ♀︎
3y 6½m | 7.2

Anastasia

Alpha Chaser
934 | L13 | ♀︎
2y 7½m | 8.1

Bezar

Beta Chaser
853 | L12 | ♂︎
2y 7½m | 8.1

Elene

Beta Finisher
848 | L11 | ♀︎
2y 7½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
791 | L12 | ♂︎
2y 7½m | 8.1

July 13 - 18, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

The pack remains well-fed at the end of this season which is truly miraculous considering the scale of spread of the ear mites. Just as one pack member seems to improve another would catch the mites, and then they started spreading exponentially. At the time of this report, the entirety of beta team, Elene, Levon, and Bezar, are down with the mites and only Alpha Adaline and Finn of alpha team are free of them. That means two wolves hunting for the whole pack as winter arrives and I have no doubt the mites will continue to spread. It's looking quite dire for the pack and I expect this will be another very hard winter.

We also lost Ru and Jing this season--as elder members of the pack, it seems most likely they died of old age. It might be a blessing for the poor things as they would likely have been the first to starve if this winter goes as poorly as I expect it to.

On top of the rest of the bad news, there has been no new additions to the pack--that is to say Adaline has yet to find a mate. Although the pack is significantly less mobile with so many infested, Adaline has obviously been on the lookout for lone wolves and potential mates. It's hard for me to say whether the pickings have truly been so slim or if, the pack being so unwell, no lone wolves are willing to join them. Adaline is not young, sadly, and likely only has a couple winters left to have spring pups before she grows too old. The pack is dwindling and it's painful to see them all so afflicted. I truly hope they pull through.

Start of Autumn (July 13)
  • The ear mites spread to Levon.

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alpha team loses track of their prey during the chase. Beta team takes down a small deer doe.
      • Week 2: Alpha team hunts an elk bull. The pack is well fed and Beta team does not hunt this week.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Alpha Adaline, Levon
  • Open Wound - Finn (20 HP)
Early Autumn (July 14)
  • Finn recovers from his open wound however the ear mites have spread to Bezar.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alpha team takes down a bison.
      • Week 4: Alpha team takes down a whitetail buck. The pack is well fed and Beta team does not hunt this week.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Alpha Adaline, Levon, Bezar

Mid Autumn (July 15)
  • Adaline is free of ear mites however they have spread to Elene.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Alpha team hunts a moose bull.
      • Week 6: Alpha team hunts another moose bull.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Levon, Bezar, Elene
Deep Autumn (July 16)
  • Bezar is free from ear mites however they have spread to Jing and Everett.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team takes down a deer doe.
      • Week 8: Alpha Adaline was only able to find a grouse. Beta team hunts a blacktail deer.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Levon, Elene, Jing, Everett

Late Autumn (July 17)
  • Levon and Jing are free of ear mites however they have spread to Ginger, Anastasia and Finn.
  • Ru passes of old age. Rest in peace.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team hunts a deer doe.
      • Week 10: Alpha team is only able to find a porcupine but it's enough to feed the pack.
Level-ups
  • Level 12 - Bezar
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Everett, Ginger, Anastasia, Finn
End of Autumn (July 18)
  • Finn is free of ear mites however they spread to Levon and Bezar. The entirety of beta team is now too ill to hunt.
  • Jing passes away from old age. Rest in peace.

• Hunting
      • Week 11: Alpha team takes down a whitetail buck. The pack is well fed and beta team does not need to hunt this week.
      • Week 12: Alpha team kills a small deer doe. The pack is well fed and beta team does not need to hunt this week.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Everett, Ginger, Anastasia, Levon, Bezar

Chantaey

Posted 2023-08-09 10:09:51

Winter, Year 31

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1296 | L20 | ♀︎
4y 9½m | 7.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1150 | L18 | ♂︎
4y 9½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1055 | L16 | ♂︎
3y 9½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
980 | L15 | ♀︎
3y 9½m | 7.2

Anastasia

Alpha Chaser
939 | L13 | ♀︎
2y 10½m | 8.1

Elene

Beta Finisher
873 | L12 | ♀︎
2y 10½m | 8.1

Bezar

Beta Chaser
856 | L12 | ♂︎
2y 10½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
791 | L12 | ♂︎
2y 10½m | 8.1

July 19 - 24, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

Much of this season went as I expected it to; the first couple months of winter saw only one pack member able to hunt at any given time and the pecking order descended into whoever could get to the kill first. Somehow no wolves were lost and in deep winter when it appeared to be Alpha Adaline was the only wolf healthy enough to hunt, she managed to bring down a bison for the pack. A true display of skill and perseverence. Her family devoured the carcass and soon after more wolves became healthy enough to hunt. Although the ear mites are still being passed among the pack, that incredible hunt and the energy it gave the pack helped carry them safely through winter. They'll have a good chance, again, to finally be rid of the pests by spring. I can only hope.

I also spotted an unfamiliar male prowling the territory this winter. He and Alpha Adaline even had a chance encounter when she was out hunting alone. I can honestly say Adaline seemed far more interested in him than he did in her, however I hold out hope that his aloofness has more to do with the mites infesting the pack than a bad match. Hopefully I see more of him in spring.

Start of Winter (July 19)
  • The ear mites spread to Alpha Adaline

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alone, Finn is only able to hunt a stoat. Beta team is too ill to hunt.
      • Week 2: Finn manages to kill a beaver. Beta team is too ill to hunt.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Everett, Ginger, Anastasia, Levon, Bezar, Alpha Adaline
Early Winter (July 20)
  • Ginger is free of ear mites however they spread to Finn.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alone, Ginger is able to hunt a porcupine. Beta team is too ill to hunt this week.
      • Week 4: Ginger was able to hunt her prey but couldn't bring it down. The pack goes hungry this week.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Everett, Anastasia, Levon, Bezar, Alpha Adaline, Finn

Mid Winter (July 21)
  • Anastasia and Levon are free of ear mites however they spread to Ginger.
  • A strange wolf is spotted with the pack but he seems to be keeping his distance.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Anastasia was able to hunt a porcupine alone. Levon also managed to take down a porcupine alone.
      • Week 6: Anastasia was able to catch another porcupine for the pack. Levon lost track of his pottery during the chase and was unable to finish the hunt.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Everett, Bezar, Alpha Adaline, Finn, Ginger
Deep Winter (July 22)
  • Alpha Adaline is free of ear mites however they spread to Anastasia and Levon.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha Adaline takes down a deer doe.
      • Week 8: Alpha Adaline is able to harry a bison down on her own. The entire pack is able to eat their fill.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Everett, Bezar, Finn, Ginger, Anastasia, Levon

Late Winter (July 23)
  • Elene, Everett, Bezar and Anastasia are free of ear mites.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha Adaline, Everett and Anastasia are able to bring down an elk bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not need to hunt this week.
      • Week 10: Alpha team lost track of their prey during the chase and were unable to finish the hunt. Bezar and Elene are only able to find a muskrat. The rest of the pack returns to last week's kill to feed.
Level-ups
  • Level 18 - Everett
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Finn, Ginger, Levon
End of Winter (July 24)
  • The ear mites spread to Alpha Adaline

• Hunting
      • Week 11: Alpha team lost track of their prey early on but managed to ambush a pheasant hen on the way home. Beta team is only able to hunt a grouse.
      • Week 12: Alpha team hunts down a whitetail deer. The pack is well-fed and beta team does not hunt this week. 1 leftover.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Finn, Ginger, Levon, Alpha Adaline

Chantaey

Posted 2023-08-09 10:33:56

Spring, Year 31

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Tendai

Alpha Chaser
1320 | L20 | ♀︎
5y 0½m | Unrelated

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1307 | L20 | ♀︎
5y 0½m | 7.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1156 | L18 | ♂︎
5y 0½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1063 | L16 | ♂︎
4y 0½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
990 | L15 | ♀︎
4y 0½m | 7.2

Anastasia

Beta Chaser
976 | L14 | ♀︎
3y 1½m | 8.1

Elene

Beta Finisher
876 | L12 | ♀︎
3y 1½m | 8.1

Bezar

Beta Chaser
864 | L12 | ♂︎
3y 1½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
793 | L12 | ♂︎
3y 1½m | 8.1

July 25 - 30, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

Finally. Finally! By mid spring all signs of the ear mites disappeared from the pack. They are hunting again with fervor--chasing down big game and leaving enough leftovers behind that the scavengers have probably never eaten so well.

Unfortunately I fell ill toward the end of spring and wasn't able to make my usual observations, but I can say that the trail cameras picked up what I'm pretty sure is the same male from winter solidly inside the pack's territory. He's not injured so I assume the pack is accepting of his presence or hasn't found him yet. Given Adaline's interest in him I'm certainly hoping to see more of him once I'm feeling up to making more detailed observations again.

Start of Spring (July 25)
  • Finn, Ginger, Levon and Alpha Adaline are free of ear mites however they spread to Bezar, Elene, and Everett..

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alpha team only managed to find a porcupine But it's enough to feed the pack; Beta tan does not hunt this week.
      • Week 2: Alpha team hunts a small deer doe. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
Level-ups
  • Level 14 - Anastasia
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Bezar, Elene, Everett
Early Spring (July 26)
  • Bezar is free of ear mites however they have spread to Finn and Anastasia.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alpha Adaline and Ginger take down an elk bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not need to hunt.
      • Week 4: Alpha Adaline and Ginger take down a moose bull. the pack is well fed and beta team does not need to hunt.
Illnesses
  • Ear Mites - Elene, Everett, Finn, Anastasia

Mid Spring (July 27)
  • Elene, Everett, Finn and Anastasia are free of ear mites.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Alpha team takes down a moose cow. The pack is well fed and beta team does not need to hunt this week.
      • Week 6: Alpha team takes down a moose bull. The pack is well fed and beta team does not hunt this week.
High Spring (July 28)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team takes down a bison.
      • Week 8: Alpha team takes down a moose bull

Late Spring (July 29)
  • The strange wolf from winter is seen within pack territory.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team takes down a bison.
      • Week 10: No data.
End of Spring (July 30)
  • No data.

• Hunting
      • Week 11: No data.
      • Week 12: No data.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-08-12 12:52:07

Summer, Year 32

Year 2 of Adaline's Reign

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Tendai

Alpha Chaser
1332 | L20 | ♀︎
5y 3½m | Unrelated

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1314 | L20 | ♀︎
5y 3½m | 7.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1163 | L18 | ♂︎
5y 3½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1113 | L17 | ♂︎
4y 3½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
1026 | L16 | ♀︎
4y 3½m | 7.2

Anastasia

Beta Chaser
990 | L14 | ♀︎
3y 4½m | 8.1

Bezar

Beta Chaser
900 | L13 | ♂︎
3y 4½m | 8.1

Elene

Beta Finisher
885 | L12 | ♀︎
3y 4½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
834 | L13 | ♂︎
3y 4½m | 8.1

July 31 - August 5, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

It appears that while I was sick, the strange male from winter got closer with the pack than I initially suspected. Alpha Adaline denned down early this season and by mid summer I was seeing signs that the pack was caring for puppies. Although it's an off-season for pups the pack has been doing quite well so I have high hopes for this litter.

I've named the new male Tendai; he's a beautiful specimen with a flurry of dark, white and brown markings and so, so many scars. I imagine he's had quite the life experience from looking at him and has certainly been in his share of fights. He's taken on a position on alpha team and appears to be a valuable asset for hunting. Anastasia has therefore rejoined beta team and she appears a little standoffish toward Tendai but the rest of the pack is taking well to him.

Levon, the pack's youngest stalker currently hunting with beta team got a bad injury this season and lost an eye. He spent several weeks recovering but seems to be doing better now here at the end of summer. Unfortunately Elene, beta team's finisher, is showing signs of ear mites. The pests can come from anywhere, including they prey they take down, so I suppose it's no surprise they've appeared again, but after the last plague of them it makes me weary to see signs of them again. Hopefully this infestation doesn't turn out as bad as the last one.

Start of Summer (July 31)
  • No data.

• Hunting
      • Week 1: No data.
      • Week 2: No data.
Early Summer (Aug 1)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alpha team hunts a bison.
      • Week 4: Alpha team hunts a moose cow.

Mid Summer (Aug 2)
  • Puppies are born!
  • Levon is injured and has an open wound; he loses his right eye.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Alpha team hunts a whitetail deer.
      • Week 6: Alpha team hunts another whitetail deer.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 17 - Finn
    • Level 16 - Ginger
    • Level 13 - Levon
  • Illnesses
    • Open Wound - Levon
High Summer (Aug 3)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team hunts down an elk bull.
      • Week 8: Alpha team hunts a whitetail buck.
  • Illnesses
    • Open Wound - Levon

Late Summer (Aug 4)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team hunts a caribou bull.
      • Week 10: Alpha team hunts a whitetail deer.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 13 - Bezar
  • Illnesses
    • Open Wound - Levon
End of Summer (Aug 5)
  • Levon recovers from his open wound.
  • Elene is showing signs of ear mites.

• Hunting
      • Week 11: Alpha team was successful in chasing down their prey but were unable to make the kill. Beta team hunts a whitetail deer.
      • Week 12: Alpha team hunts a bighorn sheep ewe.
  • Illnesses
    • Ear Mites - Elene

Chantaey

Posted 2023-08-26 15:40:03

Autumn, Year 32

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Tendai

Alpha Chaser
1343 | L20 | ♂︎
5y 6½m | Unrelated

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1327 | L20 | ♀︎
5y 6½m | 7.1

Ejiro

634 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 4½m | 9.1

Braam

627 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 4½m | 9.1

Itai

625 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 4½m | 9.1

Dakarai

618 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 4½m | 9.1

Akinyi

616 | L1 | ♀︎
0y 4½m | 9.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1211 | L19 | ♂︎
5y 6½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1161 | L18 | ♂︎
4y 6½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
1069 | L17 | ♀︎
4y 6½m | 7.2

Anastasia

Beta Chaser
1031 | L15 | ♀︎
3y 7½m | 8.1

Bezar

Beta Chaser
909 | L13 | ♂︎
3y 7½m | 8.1

Elene

Beta Finisher
922 | L13 | ♀︎
3y 7½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
846 | L13 | ♂︎
3y 7½m | 8.1

August 6 - 11, 2023   

No research report available this season. Please view accompanying data for details.

Start of Autumn (Aug 6)
  • Ginger is showing symptoms of the flu.
  • Alpha Adaline is wounded and shows signs of infection.

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alpha team is only able to hunt a porcupine. Levon remains hungry.
      • Week 2: Alpha team hunts a whitetail deer.
Level-ups
  • Level 19 - Everett
  • Level 15 - Anastasia
Illnesses
  • Influenza - Ginger
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline
Early Autumn (Aug 7)
  • Elene is free of ear mites.
  • Ginger recovers from influenza however it spread to Everett.
  • The puppies wean.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alpha team hunts a moose bull.
      • Week 4: Alpha team takes down a bison.
Level-ups
  • Level 13 - Elene
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (39 HP)
  • Influenza - Everett

Mid Autumn (Aug 8)
  • Everett is feeling better. Anastasia briefly showed symptoms of influenza but recovered quickly.
  • Ginger is injured and has an open wound; she will have a scar on her hind leg.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Alpha team hunts a bighorn sheep ram. Bezar and Levon remain hungry.
      • Week 6: Alpha team hunts a mountain goat.
Level-ups
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (35 HP)
  • Open Wound - Ginger (26 HP)
Deep Autumn (Aug 9)
  • Ginger recovers from her open wound.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team hunts a moose cow.
      • Week 8: Alpha team hunts another moose cow.
Level-ups
  • Level 18 - Finn
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (31 HP)

Late Autumn (Aug 10)

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team hunts a caribou cow.
      • Week 10: Alpha team hunts a mule deer.
Level-ups
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (27 HP)
End of Autumn (Aug 11)

• Hunting
      • Week 11: Alpha team hunts a whitetail buck.
      • Week 12: Alpha team hunts an elk bull.
Level-ups
  • Level 17 - Ginger
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (23 HP)

Chantaey

Posted 2023-08-26 15:55:37 (edited)

Winter, Year 32

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Tendai

Alpha Chaser
1355 | L20 | ♂︎
6y 0½m | Unrelated

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1337 | L20 | ♀︎
6y 0½m | 7.1

Ejiro

634 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Braam

633 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Itai

632 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Dakarai

625 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Akinyi

616 | L1 | ♀︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1222 | L19 | ♂︎
6y 0½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1165 | L18 | ♂︎
5y 0½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
1076 | L17 | ♀︎
5y 0½m | 7.2

Anastasia

Beta Chaser
1035 | L15 | ♀︎
4y 1½m | 8.1

Bezar

Beta Chaser
946 | L14 | ♂︎
4y 1½m | 8.1

Elene

Beta Finisher
937 | L13 | ♀︎
4y 1½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
881 | L14 | ♂︎
4y 1½m | 8.1

Aug 12 - 17, 2023   

No research report available this season. Please view accompanying data for details.

Start of Winter (Aug 12)
  • Anastasia is wounded and will have a scar on her hind leg; she is showing signs of infection.

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alpha team kills a bighorn sheep ram.
      • Week 2: Alpha team hunts a mountain goat.
Level-ups
  • Level 14 - Levon
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (14 HP), Anastasia (44 HP)
Early Winter (Aug 13)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • Week 3: Alpha team hunts an elk cow.
      • Week 4: Alpha team hunts down an elk bull.
Level-ups
  • Level 13 - Bezar
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (10 HP), Anastasia (35 HP)

Mid Winter (Aug 14)
  • Pups age into adolescents.
  • Bezar is injured and will have a scar on his front paw.

• Hunting
      • Week 5: Alpha team hunts down a moose bull.
      • Week 6: Alpha team hunts a caribou cow.
Illnesses
  • Infection - Alpha Adaline (6 HP), Anastasia (31 HP)
  • Bezar - Open Wound (23 HP)
Deep Winter (Aug 15)
  • Alpha Adaline recovers from the infection.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team is only able to take down a porcupine, however beta team successfully hunts a deer doe.
      • Week 8: No data
Illnesses
  • Infection - Anastasia (31 HP)
  • Bezar - Open Wound (15 HP)

Late Winter (Aug 16)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team hunts an elk bull.
      • Week 10: No data.
Illnesses
  • Infection - Anastasia (27 HP)
  • Bezar - Open Wound (9 HP)
End of Winter (Aug 17)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • No data.
Illnesses
  • Infection - Anastasia (17 HP)
  • Bezar - Open Wound (3 HP)

Chantaey

Posted 2023-08-26 16:11:32 (edited)

Spring, Year 32

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Tendai

Alpha Chaser
1366 | L20 | ♂︎
6y 0½m | Unrelated

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1347 | L20 | ♀︎
6y 0½m | 7.1

Ejiro

634 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Braam

633 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Itai

632 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Dakarai

625 | L1 | ♂︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Akinyi

616 | L1 | ♀︎
0y 10½m | 9.1

Everett

Alpha Stalker
1222 | L19 | ♂︎
6y 0½m | 7.1

Finn

Alpha Chaser
1165 | L18 | ♂︎
5y 0½m | 7.2

Ginger

Alpha Chaser
1076 | L17 | ♀︎
5y 0½m | 7.2

Elene

Beta Finisher
937 | L13 | ♀︎
4y 1½m | 8.1

Levon

Beta Stalker
881 | L14 | ♂︎
4y 1½m | 8.1

Aug 18 - 23, 2023   

Start of Spring (Aug 18)
  • Bezar succumbs to his wound in the night. Rest in peace.

• Hunting
      • Week 1: Alpha team hunts down an elk bull. 4 leftovers.
      • Week 2: Alpha team hunts down an elk cow. 2 leftovers.
Early Spring (Aug 19)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • No data.

Mid Spring (Aug 20)
  • Anastasia succumbs to her infection. Rest in peace.

• Hunting
      • No data.
Level-ups
  • Level 20 - Everett
  • Level 14 - Elene
High Spring (Aug 21)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • No data.

Late Spring (Aug 22)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • No data.
End of Spring (Aug 23)
  • All is quiet.

• Hunting
      • No data.

Chantaey

Posted 2023-09-02 13:01:20

Summer, Year 33

Year 3 of Adaline's Reign

Greyfeather Pack

Alpha Tendai

Alpha Stalker
1376 | L20 | ♂︎
6y 3½m | Unrelated

Alpha Adaline

Alpha Finisher
1358 | L20 | ♀︎
6y 3½m | 7.1

Itai

Alpha Chaser
751 | L7 | ♂︎
1y 1½m | 9.1

Braam

Alpha Chaser
750 | L7 | ♂︎
1y 1½m | 9.1

Dakarai

Alpha Chaser
741 | L7 | ♂︎
1y 1½m | 9.1

Finn

Beta Chaser
1217 | L19 | ♂︎
5y 3½m | 7.2

Ginger

Beta Chaser
1136 | L18 | ♀︎
5y 3½m | 7.2

Elene

Beta Finisher
983 | L14 | ♀︎
4y 4½m | 8.1

Ejiro

Beta Chaser
679 | L5 | ♂︎
1y 1½m | 9.1

Akinyi

Beta Stalker
662 | L5 | ♀︎
1y 1½m | 9.1

Levon

Delta Stalker
927 | L15 | ♂︎
4y 4½m | 8.1

August 24 - 29, 2023   

Researcher's Notes

When last I reported on the pack a new male had joined and appeared to have been accepted as the pack's new alpha male; Adaline was denning and all signs pointed to a new litter of pups! It's been a year for the pack now and there have been some dramatic changes. Three of the pack's family members are gone now; Bezar and Anastasia, both pups from the last alphas' only litter, and Everett, an experienced stalker and Alpha Adaline's brother. Bezar and Anastasia both sadly passed as a result of injuries during spring just a few months ago and Everett it seems left the pack willingly in late summer this season.

The pups have grown magnificently and are now adults incorporated into the full workings of the pack. There are five; four males and a female. The males are Itai (ashen with cream unders), Braam (howlite with a noticeable black back edge patch), Dakarai (white, also with a black back edge patch, and Ejiro (quartz with subtle cream unders and a fair bit of extra gray to his coat). The female is Akinyi; quartz with her mother's red markings. Their presence has helped the pack survive the loss of Anastasia, Bezar, and Everett this past year, but these new faces are not the only changes the pack has undergone.

The pack has claimed territory in the north again and their range now spans from the coniferous forest all the way up to the tundra. Despite maintaining an extended territory full of more difficult-to-hunt prey, the hunting teams have also seen a major overhaul--something I can honestly say I've never seen the pack do in all my years of observation.

Instead of hunting with the pack's most experienced hunters, alphas Adaline and Tendai are now hunting with three of their offspring--Itai, Braam, and Dakarai. The previous members of alpha team, Finn and Ginger, are now hunting with the remaining pups, Ejiro and Akinyi, as well as Elene who was previously a member of beta team. And most surprisingly, Levon, previously a member of beta team and currently the pack's only experienced stalker has been hunting entirely on his own, if at all.

When I discovered this, I was a bit at a loss for what to call the hunting teams; after all, alpha team had previously been the most experienced hunters, followed by beta team and delta team when the pack was large enough. Now, I suppose, the hunting team with the pack's alphas will remain alpha team (what in the world will I do if the alphas start hunting separately?!) and the next full team will be beta team, followed by any stragglers (poor Levon).

I'm fascinated and just a little horrified that the pack is now hunting without any experienced stalkers just after a push to maintain more challenging territory but there must be a system here. For the time being, alpha Tendai is taking on the challenge of being alpha team's new stalker and doesn't seem to be doing too poorly despite the lack of synergy among the new team. Beta team also is finding their footing although as yet the pack has not needed to depend heavily on them making successful hunts. Akinyi, the smallest pup the the alphas' latest litter appears to be taking on the role of stalker for them but, as always, there is a lot of learning to be done.

It's a drastic change for the coming cold season but I'm feeling strangely confident they'll pull through. I'm certainly on the edge of my seat to see where this new pack order is going and just what plans these new alphas have for their family!

Start of Summer (Aug 24)
  • No data.

• Hunting
      • No data.
Early Summer (Aug 25)
  • No data.

• Hunting
      • No data.

Mid Summer (Aug 26)
  • Pups age into adults and join the hunting teams.
  • Itai is injured and has an open wound; he will have a scar on his forehead.
  • Braam is infested with ticks

• Hunting
      • No data.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 4 - Braam
    • Level 3 - Itai, Dakarai
    • Level 2 - Ejiro, Akinyi
  • Illnesses
    • Open Wound - Itai (26 HP)
    • Ticks - Braam
High Summer (Aug 27)
  • The pack is seen ranging further north; their territory has expanded into the tundra again.
  • Finn is injured and has an open wound; he will have a scar on his hind leg.

• Hunting
      • Week 7: Alpha team hunts a caribou cow.
      • Week 8: Alpha team hunts a moose bull.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 15 - Levon
    • Level 5 - Braam, Dakarai, Itai
    • Level 4 - Ejiro
    • Level 3 - Ejiro, Akinyi
  • Illnesses
    • Open Wound - Itai (34 HP), Finn (26 HP)
    • Ticks - Braam

Late Summer (Aug 28)
  • Finn recovers from his open wound.
  • The alphas begin hunting with the eldest of their litter. The hunting teams are rearranged.
  • Everett departs from the pack.

• Hunting
      • Week 9: Alpha team hunts down a bearded seal.
      • Week 10: Alpha team hunts down another seal.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 6 - Dakarai, Braam, Itai
    • Level 4 - Akinyi
  • Illnesses
    • Open Wound - Itai (32 HP)
    • Ticks - Braam
End of Summer (Aug 29)
  • Braam is free of ticks.
  • Dakarai is injured and has an open wound; he will have a scar on his muzzle.

• Hunting
      • Week 11: Alpha team is only able to find a porcupine. Beta team ambushes a stoat.
      • Week 12: Alpha team lost their prey during the chase. Beta team takes down a whitetail deer. Levon remains hungry but hunts a grouse on his own.
  • Level-ups
    • Level 7 - Braam, Dakarai, Itai
    • Level 5 - Ejiro, Akinyi
  • Illnesses
    • Open Wound - Itai (24 HP), Dakarai (26 HP)

Chantaey

Search Topic