Skip to main content
Main Content

Discussion: Clans

Posted 2021-09-15 05:51:25 (edited)
Maybe introduce clan training to get clan points?
Clan training is like an additional quest is to make you more active in the game. Each day there is a different objective, for example:
1. Take X steps in Explore.
2. Finish X battles (doesn't count wins or loses, as long as you don't retreat so it's a complete battle)
3. Scout/Hunt/Gather for herbs X times
So basically you play the game, you get the point, it's doesn't take as much effort as the snake quest.

If you complete clan training you get a clan point & the clan gets activity points. If at the end of the week the clan has more than X activity points everyone gets a reward.

Clan shops will probably have nesting materials, bundles, decors (maybe make it biome specific like the raccoon decors), clan logos on decors, etc.

Tbh I feel like if clans have bonuses there would be a limit on joining clans, like 1 account can only join 1 clan at a time to prevent unfair advantages for people in multiple clans, but wouldn't this affect gameplay?

Alx

Posted 2021-09-15 08:44:51
first, ngl when i saw WD was gonna bring Clans in i was rolling my eyes cuz clans on LD aren't very...interactive as i like. Yeah it's nice to be among others for a common shared interest and help each other out as well as talk but i like to be able to do more with those i'm in a clan with.
I lose interest in them and end up feeling bad that i'm not there nor do i really feel like having fun. All LD's clans have are just raffles and those get boring for me after some time...

I have seen some really awesome ideas that got me really interested in the idea for here now.
It'd for sure would be unique and more of an incentive to enjoy clans again and get to really be with others for more than a simple interest, hoard items and raffles.

Second 
I ADORE @Naike's idea of clan boss battles.
That's the first thing that got me interested in RO Just to respond to this (Thank you WD for letting me be able to see the news without RO)  :"D
I remember in one clan i was in before it died and disbanded that i tried to keep things up and running by introducing Missions, kinda like a guild thing where peeps could take various missions for some rewards based on the difficulty and such. It only failed cuz people weren't as active and it was hard keeping up with it manually compared to if it was a feature.

3rd
having custom roles and being demoted/promoted based on activity was an idea i saw and i also love.
Training or gaining some things such as territory/stats in clan PvP would be awesome :3

There's obviously way more here but then i'd be here all day XD

Final
Alliances instead of clans is good ^ ^

Fangx

Posted 2021-09-17 19:25:27
Late to the scene, but maybe there could be game-supported clan design/creative contests? In that a clan moderator puts forth a prize, prompt, and timeframe, and members can make submissions (of wardrobe links, art, written stories even?) and vote on their favourite like it were a clan poll.

Unofficial clans and individuals already make creative contests like this, but there's the issue of the owner potentially becoming inactive or just never distributing the prize. It would be nice to have a game-supported way to make sure these contests are legit and fair to creators. If possible, making the submissions appear anonymous until voting ends would be great too.

Muirgeilt

Posted 2021-09-17 19:28:58 (edited)
I really like the term alliance, but I'll use clan here to make it consistent. I would really like a clan-specific raffle system! I am picturing it working like this:

1) An organizer would set it up and put prizes in a pool. The organizer could be any clan member, not just mods or admins! This would be somewhat like setting up a trade. They could pick first place, second place, runner up, etc. They would also specify an end date/time. All items offered for raffle are removed from the player's inventory and held, just like if you offered the items for a trade.
2) The completed raffle would show up on a certain clan raffle page. Clan members could click on the raffle and be taken to a screen that shows all the prizes.
3) Clan members could join the raffle by clicking an 'enter' button. At first it can be one entry per person, to keep it simple.
4) at the specified end date, the game would automatically and randomly pick the winners, and distribute the items as though they were gifts. Winners still have to accept the gifts. If they are not accepted within a certain amount of time (maybe a week?) the items get returned to the raffle creator.

This system could then be expanded on to include features like: you get two entries if you donate x or z to the clan! Or post 5 times to the clan's chat board! Or other customization options chosen by the organizer. The important thing being that, within clans, it wouldn't cost anything to enter the raffle and the organizer doesn't get any direct benefit from the raffle.

It could then be expanded to site-wide raffles! Where people give the organizer items or currency in exchange for tickets. This would be more complicated because organizers would have to set items they accept and the ticket value of each, but I think it would be a lot less work than manually counting up the items, assigning numbers, picking winners, etc. And since it's controlled by the game, there's no chance of scamming or rigging the raffles by saying you are doing a random number draw but then only giving the items to your friends.

Zea

Posted 2021-09-17 19:45:47 (edited)
@Muirgeilt That's a neat idea!

I don't think clans are useful from a purely social standpoint (like I mentioned earlier, chatter topics work just fine), but from an economic standpoint there's a lot of potential:
- Contests like Muirgeilt mentioned
- Stud discounts for clan members (possibly below the standard 1gc/200sc?)
- Private studs for clan member use only
- Clan hoards with toggleable permissions have a lot of potential uses, such as: Soup-kitchen-type organizations; fox app consortiums (okay this one's a lil out of date but surely there will be more fox-like things in the future); contest prize proofs; raffles where the raffle ticket items all go into the clan hoard so it's all above board and nothing is spent until the raffle is over

edit: lmao I spent so much time typing this that I got beat to the raffle idea. well websteak laid things out much better than I did anyway

Lionel

Posted 2021-09-17 19:46:51
Putting in another comment after seeing news lol

Awesome to find that the staff is keeping ideas given from clans in mind.
Though just thinking about clans on here that are the same as LD isn't a fond thing i have for which is why i'm all for the features suggested. It's fine that Clan should have things similar to LD that cool but i'd want More for Clans.

So i'm hopeful that quite a few ideas Linked to clans (Rooting for the boss battle type) would be a thing later otherwise i'd be ignoring Clans like i do on LD :"D

But that's just my own views since i Love having more to do Involving the clans so peeps can be more apart the clan than just raffles and chatting about stuff.
Yeah that's fun but not enough to want to keep someone like me around who just feels disconnected esp as an introvert whose not really into speaking to most on here. Even RPs aren't something that get me going unless it's the right person and those are rare/hard to come by for me.

The features suggested would really make others come together and enjoy doing more as a clan type community.

Idea piece here:
That'd be so cool to have events actually that'll have people become one in clans  and do many cool things together...Hell maybe even unique story lines unique to clans that all clans can partake in. Almost like guilds and some type of championships maybe idk.

Just some form of idea that came to me ^ ^;

Fangx

Posted 2021-09-17 19:58:27
I initially didn't post on here since Clans is a feature on LD I don't use and probably wouldn't use here either. But the paragraph in today's Community Update worries me, so here I am.

I'm a solo player, dropping in and out of the online games I play as I feel like it. And because of that, in games that have them, I don't join Clans/Guilds/whatever the game calls it. I'd feel too much pressure to play beyond what's fun to do my fair share in contributing to the group's standing and in fear of getting kicked out if I take a hiatus.

So, if a game relies heavily on guild-based gameplay, I don't play it. If there's exclusive features that they have, I can't access those. If enough of the game development focuses around those, I drop the game because I don't feel like I can achieve what I want.

I'm all for advanced chat groups with raffles, etc. like Lioden has. Because none of those items or features are exclusive to Clans, they just let make it easier for groups to play together. Everything in the original post sounds great to me, even though I won't personally be using it.

But if there's exclusive battles, items, storylines, etc. for players who are playing in these groups, that's when I start feeling unwelcome. Wolvden is one of my favorite online games, and I'd hate to see that happen here.

If there are group-based events, I'd rather it be large, site-wide and dev-created groups, where everyone chooses/is sorted into a team that only lasts through the event. I've been on games that have done that and it's been fun. Clans can all choose the same team if they want, and new clans would surely form based on the new teams, but it would also include solo players without making them feel pressure to be active in a social sphere they don't want to be in.

Before

Posted 2021-09-17 20:13:22 (edited)
Tbh, i said about clan event/stories just for them. It's not meant to be a widespread thing but more quiet that only clans can see if that makes sense.
WD would have its own events but Clans have....well sorry to say cruddy stuff in my own views which is why i gave an idea of things just for clans

If ya don't want to join in one then that's fine and i never saw clans as a way where you'd feel unwelcome. I feel unwelcome in games anyway even on LD at times so i avoid what makes me feel that way by keeping to myself which is Chat, forums and Yes, Clans.
Feeling unwelcome could be just not clicking with people or in my case, things aren't interesting enough to make me want to stay.
Not everyone will feel this way though but i wanted to give Some ideas that'll make Clans really unique and stand out.

They won't have anything purely exclusive to them that isn't in the game already so it wouldn't be like yer missing much. Just a simple story to paint a picture and some type of opponent or quest ya can do as a group or even by yerself, Similar to a guild as i mentioned but not quite.
Either way, one wouldn't be missing out too much on things but the clans would have something fun to look forward to maybe each week or even daily as they work hard to do various things for their roles or something.

If clans are coming here, then i'd want something fun and really engaging that'll Bring People Together for the Fun of it.
To me, as long as it's not Pay to Play Or worse, done horribly with issues then i'm fine with it.

Fangx

Posted 2021-09-17 20:14:28
The idea of Clans makes me wary as so far I have ADORED the open and welcoming community here on Wolvden. Because I've never played Lioden, I have only heard second-hand that the community here is *apparently* much more supportive and welcoming than there, and Clans do add a 'social competitive' element.

Even if there is no 'competition', the existence of a Clan gives an advantage to anyone who likes to play social powergames. It *feels* like we're doing just fine creating supportive communities, discords and Chatters without them (and arranging Discounted Studs through Refunding).

That said, being very clear I haven't played Lioden so I know very little of how Clans would play out in practise. My thoughts are largely based on what people have *said* about the differences in communities.
Vix | 💞 Stalkers |

Posted 2021-09-17 23:12:54
I'm sort of torn on the idea of clans. I just don't really see the point of them. It's just like a little club in the game? I guess that's fine. I would like to have a group of people in the game to talk with about the game and we could help each other out with things, but I feel WD has a pretty good community as it is and it's not hard to make conversations or get help from others.

Katie