Skip to main content
Main Content

Fishing suggestion

Posted 2021-09-17 15:38:12
I too would like the phrasing to change. While it is not anxiety inducing for me, when I am fishing for a little while it does start wearing at me as feeling like a failure is something I struggle with at times. I can see the 'missed' or 'so close' being frustrating as well, but I do like the 'maybe next time'.
Another option would be a toggle, where each player could choose which word or phrase is best for them--I would also be perfectly fine with having no text at all. I can see that I missed and nothing popping up would be an option I would like--possibly my favorite option. But I know that some people like the text, so if it could be toggled on or off that would work for both sides.

Sepulchre

Posted 2021-09-21 09:55:49
Though I believe failure isn't always negative, I agree that it could be a little nicer. Maybe "Oopsies!" or "It slipped away."

Wolfie

Posted 2021-10-03 02:36:45 (edited)
Pop-ups are informative only, they're recommended to be as short as possible and currently it's fine with only 1 word. Longer phrases might be confused with error messages which are implemented into the code in case of exceptions. And I'm not keen on diminutives such as "Oopsies!" The only alternative that can be put into consideration is "MISS!" And it looks prettier with a single word being all capitals than only the first letter.

Dżanek

Posted 2021-10-03 07:27:29
I don't mind the fail.  Personally never really noticed it sticking out.
It is what it is,  a failed fishing attempt.  I don't really see the problem.

🌿 「 Juno 」

Posted 2021-11-21 21:42:55
I don't mind it saying Fail but the audio is very jarring when I only have the sound on because I like the ambient noise while I fish, it's so blaring and stressful in comparison to the pleasant little success sound and the noise before. At the very least I'd like an option to turn off the fail audio or turn that specifically down.

Drakine

Posted 2021-11-23 23:20:12
I don't think any suggested replacement is going to 100% please everyone.
If you change the text to "missed it!" or "just got away!" it's going to bother someone else for different reasons. I also struggle with anxiety and I understand that it's really easy to be pushed over the edge by a minor thing, but I also don't think that this is like. a fair accommodation that can be made? 
What is upsetting or bothersome to people is so subjective. Obviously everyone has little things that upset them individually, so I just don't see how it's practical to expect a website to change every bit of text that is upsetting to a handful of people. Like, this stuff is not really about accessibility, it's just about personal preference. You can always avert or close your eyes when the "fail" text shows, I don't think Wolvden is going to change something like this.

Whitefang

Posted 2022-02-28 23:25:35
I like this idea. I can understand the origin ("aw shucks, I failed to catch this") and likely wasn't meant unkindly ("great job doofus, you failed!!"). But gosh man, do I feel a sense of shame and sadness to be "yelled" at by a game for making a mistake! I'd be chill with "whoops, got away" "missed!" "almost..." or other fun flavor texts.

Sunny

Search Topic