Skip to main content
Main Content

Custom Decor: Allow option of having both the submitter AND artist(s) to receive payment

Custom Decor: Allow option of having both the submitter AND artist(s) to receive payment
Posted 2021-01-27 13:16:18 (edited)

Hello devs! I had an idea since custom decors released.

Some users may not be able to draw as well as others, and decide to request/commission artists to draw a decor for them. This part is fine.

The part that I’m wishing would be edited is that there’d be some sort of option for who the currency goes to. Currently 5GC goes to the site and the rest goes to the person that submits the decor for approval. There’s no problem with this when the artist is the one submitting the decor. But when there’s an artist AND commissioner, thing start to become more tricky. If the commissioner wants to sell the decor to others and gain money for it, the artist would be getting none if they don’t submit it. But then the commissioner (or idea maker) wouldn’t get any currency if the artist submits it.

A possible solution: Allow an option to choose who the payments go to. The options would be: the submitter only, the artist (if it is different from the submitter, split between both the submitter and artist, or for the design idea creator (who thought of the idea/design) and artist.

I just think that this would help both the artists and non-artists out, and remove some hesitation towards commissioning if this was implemented.

Rusty

Posted 2021-01-28 12:50:35

To be fair, if someone is commissioning an artist to make custom decor, the artist is likely being paid up front by the commissioner (or it’s possible they have an agreement that the profits are split each time the commissioner gets paid, but I imagine that’s less common). They’re not “getting nothing”. 

I do see the value, but I imagine a feature like this could be tricky to implement and probably not all that necessary. I also think such a feature has possibility for abuse or mistakes if you can choose who payments go to. If you select the wrong person to get paid, obviously that’s an issue. It also could create issues with people potentially using it as a form of payment to someone for something totally unrelated (like say someone sells a Wolf on the condition that the buyer lists them in their custom decor beneficiaries). 

Chirp

Posted 2021-01-28 13:22:33

@Chirp

That’s what I originally thought would happen: you commission an artist and receive the files to submit a custom decor with artist credit. That, or maybe add a fee to buy the “selling license” in order to sell the decor yourself instead of the artist.

I ran into someone being hesitant about doing the commission I wanted after misunderstanding that I actually wanted to submit the decor on my account. I just think it would be better if a split payment method was in place without it being a “promise you give me money if someone buys it” deal.

Obviously if there’s a better solution to this, then lmk! This was just my first thought. :3

Rusty

Search Topic