Skip to main content
Main Content

Reduced Reliance on RNG (from the perspective of a game maker)

Posted 2020-11-19 20:00:01

Please. Please. It is REDICULOUS that my level 14 lead can lose to a level 2 pack of coyotes. That's insane. I know RNG will always be part of the game, but I really feel like the chances of that happening should be like one in a million, not the, like, one in thirty it seems to be.Β 

red

Posted 2020-11-20 04:16:50

I've just lost to lvl 5 buck, my lead is lvl 8. Whole battle looked like this: bite –> latch (failed) –> bite –> latch (failed), needles to say I did not latch and while trying to rest I got my ass kicked too. The RNG really should be rebalanced, because so far I feel like the result of the fight comes down to sheer luck. And it's not fun, it's frustrating :/

Also I would love to regain health on RO (something like long rest in DnD), but I guess it's entirely different topic.

πŸ„ π•—πšŠπš›πš”πš’πšπšœπšžπšŽ

Posted 2020-11-20 13:57:40
Support!
The fact that my lvl 11 lead has dropped their full 41hp to lvl 1 animals is just ridiculous! Stats should have importance.So many people get bad luck, like multiple illnesses and ailments a day. The chances of losing HP/ having successes in fighting, in hunting & exploration, should correlate to the wolf's skills.
RootBeerBog

Posted 2020-11-20 14:18:03

I support! To me, it feels like a lot of the enemies have very similar damage outputs despite having different levels. Ie, all the folks on this thread talking about getting decimated by a level 2-3 enemy despite being in the double digits. I personally have had to retreat from WAY lower level enemies simply because they made me bleed, and consequently started tearing me a new one.

I understand the challenging aspect to the rng? Because, it challenges you to be strategic with your hits/your healing- or maybe halts your level growth from being too extreme. But at the same time, certain aspects are a bit unbalanced, and could definitely use just a BIT of tweaking. A level 15+ getting torn to shreds by a level 1-5 enemy just makes the levels seem a bit...pointless?

⭐️Star

Posted 2020-11-20 15:49:42

Yeeeah RNG has no place in a game like this. I support this.

Jaden

Posted 2020-11-22 17:46:00

Definitely support.Β  I get that RNG helps mediate challenge, but when everything is complete RNG it takes all strategy out of the game and that isn't fun or rewarding.

Bitapetrone

Posted 2020-11-23 20:47:21

support!! the RNG doesnt make any sense - a level 20 wolf should be able to kill any level 1 enemy in 1 hit..Β  lucky foot should significantly increase your odds to win and half the time it doesn't help at all

PintoDonkey

Posted 2020-11-23 21:09:55

Yep, not much to add other than I'm real tired of the strategy for so many mechanics being "do the same thing you always do but hope for better RNG this time."
That isn't fun and it's not engaging.

Owlbear

Posted 2020-11-23 21:25:11

I do kind of wonder if everything seems so RNG based right now because of how low the general stat population of wolves is. I was frustrated with battling until I realized if you actually use some technique behind it you can do a lot better. Options like rest and wait are there for a reason. A lot of the game aspects also seemed geared to higher level wolves. For example in the mountains, a starter biome, my wolf hunting party was regularly bringing back large and medium trails. Now that I'm in the glacier I only see critter trails because my stats aren't high enough currently. As the stats of my lead increased battling became easier. I wonder if the difficulty of the enemies is related to the biome they're in at all? Or if it's directly related to their level. Like a bear in the mountains being easier to battle than a bear in the glacier. I haven't tested it out so I'm not sure on that.

Magpie

Posted 2020-11-23 21:39:37

^My lead wolf is my starter wolf, and her stats are 200+ higher than when she was level 1. Lower level enemies can still be a risk. I don't think low stats are the problem here, otherwise people would report a linear increase in success rate with level, when many of us have suspiciously frequent losses to level 5 enemies. How do you use rest and wait effectively? You can only rest once during battle from what I've seen, and it only has a reliable chance of increasing HP if the opponent is almost dead. And waiting doesn't give you any bonus, does it? My strategy is to bite until the opponent bleeds (because it seemingly has a higher success rate than latch) then latch to prevent its attacks until it bleeds out, and if the opponent breaks the latch but has low enough HP to die on the next turn I rest to get back some lost HP. I flee when I lose too much HP compared to the opponent and it seems smarter to cut my losses than count on luck turning in my favor, or if I get bloodied before the opponent. This works alright, it's not as risky as 100% latch but not as lossy as 100% bite, but seriously how are you working wait into your strategy? I'm really curious.

Mossfoot

Search Topic