Skip to main content
Main Content

Adol and Pup Training

Posted 2020-11-03 09:09:35

100% support! I plan to flesh out my wolves with personalities and relationships and roles in the pack once I get wolves who will be more established (basically just not my NBW wolves lol), so I'm on the same page as Hawk on that part

But it would also be nice to do more with the adolescents, as for 24 days they are just kinda sitting there eating up all my food but not really doing much. I know that it can't actually contribute to the well being of the pack (maybe a adolescent that has lots of training in something with hunting has a like 15% chance to catch a small critter, such as a rat), but being able to actually do something with them would be great

smimley

Posted 2020-11-03 09:18:21

I love the idea of apprentice adolescents!!! It would also make the puppies feel a little bit more realistic and interactive. Right now the puppies are just...there. Existing. I'd love to be able to do something productive with them.

I could see this being a great opportunity to make adult wolf skills more important though. Like, an herbalist adult with only 20% proficiency shouldn't be able to have an apprentice, because the herbalist is still just flailing around themselves. 

Scouts should only get to take adolescents along on re-scouts, because it's too dangerous. Also that actually fits pretty well with a stage of growth most (dog) puppies go through, where they don't like going too far from home because they're too scared. You have to slowly build them up to it and build their confidence!!

Finally, hunters should have to be above a certain skill threshold, AND should have to be above a certain Synergy rating as a pack before they can bring adolescents along. Why? Because if they're unskilled, and/or are struggling to work together well enough to hunt successfully, they certainly don't have the bandwidth to dedicate time and attention to keeping an eye on pups, keep them safe, teach the pups, and complete a successful hunt. 

I know this would add a lot of complications to the whole process, but by requiring skill levels/etc. In order for pups to be apprenticed, I think it would continue to emphasize the value of having adult pack members in your pack long-term. It would continue to make having highly skilled wolves extremely important to the game, which I think is part of what Wolvden is going for. Plus I think it would be great for Lore purposes!

Keld

Posted 2020-11-03 09:36:49

I had some thoughts on this too!

I am back and forth on an herbalist apprentice since you can only have one herbalist at a time, but maybe herbie apprentices bring back an herb a day, and can gain some proficiency.

For scouts, I was thinking that the scout apprentice would give either a small bonus to the % discovered (.5-1%, depending) or, if only for rescouting, they bring back 1 spare item. 

For hunting, I had the thought that they would have a slight boost to the success rate, but they can also effect synergy if their personalities crash too hard. 

All of this is combined with what Keld said above, I really like their points that not every scout/herbie/hunter can be a trainer, and only the more proficient and skilled ones can be.

Rose

Posted 2020-11-03 09:37:39

Support!!!! It would be fun if pupsitters could “pass on” their skills to pups they’re looking after. So if your pupsitter was a chaser before assigned to sitting, it would pass on a couple chasing points as the pup grows 

Kit

Posted 2020-11-03 09:39:52

This sounds interesting for both mechanical and roleplay and in particular I'm intrigued by Keld's suggestions for stipulations and restrictions.

Sunny

Posted 2020-11-03 09:40:16

Kit that's such a cute idea- almost like the pupsitter is telling the puppies stories about how they hunted!

I also had a thought for adol pupsitters where they boost the mentor's total protection by like. idk 20%? And it can even boost a 100% pupsitter. That way the pupsitter can sit more pups, since they would have more eyes to look out for!

Rose

Posted 2020-11-03 10:09:20

Kit- While that's a cute idea, I don't know how practical it is in the long run? It takes time, and a lot of it, to gain proficiency in hunting and scouting in particular. Each and every time you remove and replace a hunter from a team, for example, you take a pretty big hit to your synergy. The way Wolvden's mechanics are set up, they really push building up relationships and skills and keeping them long-term.

I'd suggest maybe something like pup schooling or the like to gain exp/stats in general? And perhaps only learning things as pups when protected by a sitter? And maybe we could set each sitter to teach a certain topic that would influence what they gain?

Kieari

Posted 2020-11-03 10:09:48

Majorly support adolescent apprentices! It's kind of a bummer they can't gain any stats until they're an adult.

Roanbird

Posted 2020-11-03 10:36:59

I'd like adols to be traineble

SputTop

Posted 2020-11-03 10:42:20

Adolescents should definitely be able to accompany scouts, hunters and herbalists! It's around that age that wolves begin learning how to be beneficial members to the pack - they might not actively participate, but they do watch their older siblings in practice. I also really like Keld's idea for limitations! Makes logical sense and certainly seems to fit in with the mechanics already present.

Bad Wolf

Search Topic