Skip to main content
Main Content

[Grouse House Guide] Cataclysms | Cryptid List

Posted 2023-08-03 15:47:21 (edited)

Swamp

Cajun SasquatchKinfolk
A shaggy, long-armed creature is dangling from a low-hanging vine. It tilts its head at you in a playful way.

You stare at the creature and it stares right back. You want to look away, but the staring contest ensuing is too intense to resist. Who will win? Will the creature blink first? You feel something slimy go over your feet and jump back in surprise. A vine...which the creature surely could not have commanded to trip you and break your stare, right?

"You lasted longer than most! But my stare is unmatched. Come, I have a task for you."
Flavor text needed

• Give 2x Nesting Material
• Give 5x Large Leaves

[Dawn] | [Day] | [Dusk] | [Night]
Agility
Smarts
No modifiers

Skunk ApeKinfolk
A strange looking beast with long, shaggy hair observes you with a keen eye. It smiles widely, revealing long, sharp teeth.

Unlike a monkey, this creature walks upright. As it lumbers towards you, you can't help but wonder if it's actually human. No other animal that you know walks upright. Its long, thick fingers reach out as if it wants to touch your fur, but it seems to change its mind and goes nose-to-nose with you instead.

"You're nearly as hairy as me! You smell much worse though. No matter. I need your help."
Flavor text needed

Strength
Smarts
Modifiers unknown

Tuttle Bottoms MonsterKinfolk
This large, bipedal creature resembles an ape but has a head with a characteristic, elongated mouth that reminds you of anteaters. It hasn't looked at you yet, but you have a feeling that it's aware of your presence.

The shaggy, thick fur of the creature is covered with tiny, dried leaves and pieces of tree bark. It uses its mouth just like an anteater, looking for insects and eating them with its long tongue. It appears as though nothing could ruin its dedication, and it is completely absorbed.

"Greetings! I wasn't expecting anyone here, but I'm glad to see you. There are some things that need to be done, and I won't be able to do everything myself. The condition of this world is worsening. We must work together."
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Stat drops unknownModifiers unknown

DungavenhooterThe Merged
You don't notice anything strange about this creature at first. In fact, it looks like a normal alligator before you see that its jaws are completely shut closed by skin.

The creature notices you as soon as you lay your eyes on it. Even without a visible mouth, it appears as if it is smiling. You can hear its nightmarish voice directly in your head. Normally an alligator would not pose much threat as long as you stayed far away, but this one is truly unsettling.

"Let's make a deal. Work for me for a while, and I won't cause any problems during your journey. Sound like a deal?"
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Lizard ManThe Merged
You've seen scaled beasts in the swamp before, but this one stands upright and moves like a man. It hisses through long, sharp teeth.

The creature moves with ease through the wet terrain and seems to be looking for something. It makes such a ruckus that if it happens to be looking for something to eat, you know it will never find anything. It stomps around and smacks its long tail on the muddy ground in frustration before glaring at you.

"You there! I need food, among other things. You will help me, or I'll just eat you instead."
Flavor text needed

• Defeat 3x Kinfolk cryptids
• Give 4x carcasses
• Give 5x Large Branches

StrengthFearless Opponent (-1 on Rest/Wait, -1 on Chase, -1 on Snarl)
Slow Opponent (+1 on Rest/Wait, +1 on Retreat, -2 on Chase)
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)

RougarouThe Merged
Your pelt prickles with fear as a wolf-like creature that stands on two legs emerges from the swamp fog. It throws back its head and howls.

How this wolf walks upright like a human is a mystery to you. It's unnatural, and as it starts to walk toward you it has a sort of swaying gait and is hunched over. Saliva drips from its muzzle and the glowing red eyes look wild and crazed. Something is off about this creature.

"You! Pip squeak! Don't you run from me. You're going to do as I say or I'll snap your scrawny neck."
Flavor text needed

• Give 3x carcasses
• Give 3x local materials (specific required items will be randomized between Rattles, Tortoise Shells, and Turtle Shells)
• Defeat 2x Cajun Sasquatch

Strength
Speed
Agility
Modifiers unknown

LeticheIndependent
A large-toothed shaggy creature with large, round ears judges you with its beady eyes. It resembles a large rat, and you've caught its attention.

Usually snacking on a rat makes for a tasty morsel–but this creature is far too large for you to have a hope of taking it down. The long fangs and sharp, curled claws aren't very inviting, either. It faces you with its lips peeled back over its teeth, letting them glint in the light as it stares you down.

"I saw that look on your face. My teeth are sharp, wolf. Mind yourself and help me with a task, and you'll be rewarded."
Flavor text needed

"Greedy mutt, aren't you? Are you here just to help or for the reward? Either way, let's get on with it."

• Defeat 1x Wild Boar
• Give 2x carcasses
• Catch one uncommon fish

Strength
Agility
No modifiers

Monster TurtleIndependent
A rather tall turtle stands before you sliding its long, spiked tail back and forth. It tilts its head sideways and peers at you curiously.

Turtles usually walk low to the ground, standing for brief periods only. Not this one, however; it stands upright with ease. The rounded head and sharp beak reminds you of a bird's, while its long neck is as agile as a snake. It could easily strike at you if given the chance, and you remain wary.

"You're new around here. Or maybe I'm just too old? Either way, lend me a paw and I'll make it worth your while."
Flavor text needed

• Defeat 1x Coyote
• Give a combination of Delicate Meat, Turtle Shells, and Dead Fish (specific combination required, randomly determined)
• Defeat 1x Whitetail Buck
• Complete 1x scouting mission

StrengthSlow Opponent (+1 on Rest/Wait, +1 on Retreat, -2 on Chase)
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)

Swamp StalkerIndependent
A large, shadowy silhouette emerges suddenly in front of you. The creature stands tall on two legs, covered in matted, dark fur that clings to its muscular body.

The shape of the creature is rather familiar, resembling a large ape, but much more intimidating. Its movements are smooth and even graceful, which is definitely different and unexpected.

"Are you lost, pup? I might help you find the way but only if you help me first."
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Mel 🏜️

Posted 2023-08-03 15:47:36 (edited)

Tundra

Alaskan TigerKinfolk
A majestic, large feline stares at you calmly as if he was expecting you. Elongated canines can be seen even when the cat's mouth is closed.

You hesitate before taking the first step. The snow-white fur is deceivingly beautiful. Everything about this creature looks deadly and sharp. You could be killed within seconds, but the tiger doesn't seem to be hostile. A strange expression crosses its face, and it appears to be trying to smile.

"The world will be beyond repair if we don't act quickly. Will you help me?"
Flavor text needed

• Defeat 3x the Merged cryptids
• Complete 3x hunts
• Give 3x medicines (specific required medicines will be randomized)
• Give 2x medicines and 1x Meat Chunks [Large] (specific requires medicines will be randomized)

Strength
Smarts
Fearless Opponent (-1 on Rest/Wait, -1 on Chase, -1 on Snarl)

CressieKinfolk
You stumble upon a scaly snake-like creature. It stretches tall and observes you with its cool blue gaze.

It may be related to a snake, but you're sure this isn't any species you've ever seen. It has a head like a fish, with whiskers hanging from its lips, fins, and gills. How was it breathing outside of the water? Although surely since it wasn't a normal sort of creature it didn't matter, right? Its mouth gapes and it peers at you.

"You, landwalker! You seem capable. Mind helping me out?"
Flavor text needed

"Back to help again? Fine by me!"

• Find humans in the Tundra

Agility
Smarts
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)

Golden BearKinfolk
This is probably the largest bear you've ever seen. Its shiny, golden fur makes the creature appear as if it is glowing and captures your attention.

It is quite unusual to feel at ease around bears, but you don't experience any fear or tension as you approach. The bear towers over you, and its thick fur makes it look even bigger, but there's something calm about it that lets you trust it.

"If you care about this land, please help me. You won't regret it."
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

BogeymanThe Merged
A fur-less, upright being that's closer to a skeleton than a man shrieks at you and reveals a maw of razor sharp teeth. A long finger gestures at you to come closer.

The monster paces around with an uneven, hunched gait with a shadowy substance pouring off of it. It has no smell and seems to dissipate into the air, but your stomach lurches uneasily. It turns and stares you down with its mouth gaping wide and gnashing as if it would like to eat you for lunch.

"Who're you, furry? You're warm...you mortals move so easily. Help me or I'll decide that you're a nice, tasty snack."
Flavor text needed

"Back for more I see. Either you're daft or you're very daft. Doesn't matter which to me, just do as I ask."

• Give 3x carcasses
• Find structure in the Tundra

Speed
Smarts
No modifiers

RawheadThe Merged
This horrifying creature has a skull with no skin. Unease prickles at your pelt as it observes you with hungry eyes.

Rawhead prowls around the cold landscape as if searching for its next victim. And odd sound like rattling bones comes from its mouth and fills you with fear. Did it do that to attract its prey or scare it?

"Have you been a good wolf? If you say no, that's a lie–all wolves like you are naughty. I'll consider not eating you if you do as I say."
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Shadow BeingThe Merged
A black, thick shadow emerges out of nowhere, forming a terrifying shape straight from nightmares. You struggle to focus on it; it fools your senses when you try.

You don't dare stray too close, and even from this distance, you can say that any attempt to touch the creature would surely fail. The skull-like, creepy smile is the only clear feature of its face. You can't see its eyes but you feel like the shadow is observing you carefully and if it wanted to haunt you, it would be able to do so whenever it wanted. Its voice is sharp and hissing like the winter wind.

"Don't hesitate, come closer. You wouldn't be able to escape anyway so you might as well listen to my offer. If you manage to complete a few tasks, I will let you go. Maybe."
Flavor text needed

"The task yesterday wasn't too hard, was it? I didn't think so. Physical labour is not my thing but you are perfect for this stuff. Ready for another task?"

• Complete 3x hunts
• Find researcher in the Tundra

Speed
Smarts
No modifiers

CadborosaurusIndependent
The elegant, slippery creature before you resembles an elongated seal. It blinks its expressionless blue eyes and you try to ascertain if it's friendly.

Seals could be food, but you doubt this creature would even let you get close. It's much larger than a seal and would likely require an entire wolf pack to take down. It shifts on the ice and whips its heavy, likely deadly tail across the frozen ground pointedly as it assesses you.

"I'll not be your prey, little wolf. I doubt you could even get close. I'll give you something better if you help me with something. Deal?"
Flavor text needed

"Not had your fill yet, hmm? Very well, I have more for you to do."

• Give 5x Large Rocks
• Give 3x carcasses

Strength
Agility
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)

ManipogoIndependent
The floppy ears and large eyes of this creature create a good, almost kind impression, but your experience tells you to be careful, no matter how harmless the creature's appearance may seem.

The most familiar shape you could think of is that of a seal, but there is also something canine about this creature. It notices your presence, observing you in silence. You have a feeling that you disturbed its plans.

"Are you bored or something? You look like you could be, so come here and listen to me. I have lots of things to do, and you seem to have none. Can you help me?"
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Snow SnakeIndependent
It is quite unusual to see a reptile thriving in such a cold area. Its blindingly bright white scales make the creature look ghostly unreal and somewhat fascinating as well.

The snake approaches you so fast that you don't have a chance to think about making an escape. When it slithers, it's hard to focus your sight on it. While the creature doesn't look much different than other snakes, there is something supernatural about it. When it focuses its gaze on you, you start to feel anxious.

"What a surprise, a guest. Are you here to bother me or to help?"
Flavor text needed

• Give 3x Tundra-specific carcasses (randomized between Caribou Calf, Hare, Seal Pup, Stoat, Gull)
• Give 5x Large Branches
• Defeat 1x Arctic Fox
• Defeat 1x Snowy Owl

AgilitySlow Opponent (+1 on Rest/Wait, +1 on Retreat, -2 on Chase)
Strong Venom (+1 on opponent's bite attack)
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)
Mel 🏜️

Posted 2023-08-03 15:47:42 (edited)

Rainforest

AhuizotlKinfolk
Big, round eyes in a fluffy mottled pelt make this creature almost inviting to approach. It raises its tail and waves the paw at you.

You approach and stare long and hard at the tail that has a long-fingered paw as casually as you have four of your own. The tail brushes back and forth over the ground behind it, and stops briefly to pick up a small bug and pop it in its mouth. The tail-paw reaches for you next, and you back up a step.

"Hello there, large friend. I need a hand. Well...another one, that is. Care to assist?"
Flavor text needed

• Give 3x local materials (specific required items will be randomized between Aloe, Toucan Feathers, Parrot Feathers, Pineapple Leaves, and Large Leaves)

Speed
Agility
Small Prey Opponent (+1 on Snarl)
Prey Opponent (+1 on Rest/Wait, +2 on Chase, +2 on Retreat)

OnzaKinfolk
Flavor text needed
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Panama CreatureKinfolk
At first, the creature in front of you looks like a hairless sloth. Yet when you focus on the creature, you start to realise that it is quite different.

Misleading at first, the creature is definitely a being unknown to you and likely new to this land. You can see the fear in its small eyes when it tries to reach the nearby tree but it's too slow. The creature seems to know that it wouldn't have any chance if you wanted to harm it.

"Wait...wait a moment. If you help me with a few tasks, it may be more beneficial to you than just eating me. Interested?"
Flavor text needed

StrengthSlow Opponent (+1 on Rest/Wait, +1 on Retreat, -2 on Chase)
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)

Blood SuckerThe Merged
An ill-looking creature emerges from the shadows, snarling at you. Its appearance contradicts the level of bloodthirst this being seems to have.

A scrawny body with almost naked skin, covered with warts and patches of thin fur, is a sight that would evoke pity more than anything else. You change your mind upon observing the creature more closely. The mouth is full of thin, sharp teeth and it looks ready to jump at you.

"You are here for a reason. Want to sort something out for me or not?"
Flavor text needed

• Defeat 1x Whitetail Buck

Strength
Speed
No modifiers

Evil CadejoThe Merged
The huge shadowy creature in front of you resembles a dog, but as you look closer, you notice its distorted features and unkempt, messy fur. This is no ordinary dog.

The eyes of the creature are glowing with fiery, malevolent light like the last two stars in a dark sky. While the monster looks canine, you notice that it has hooves instead of paws. It shows you its mouth full of sharp, jagged teeth in a twisted smile.

"I believe you are smart enough to know that coming here means that you will serve me. Let's get on with it, shall we?"
The creature awaits you in silence, focused on your movement as if it's ready to kill you on the spot. Even now, when you're more familiar with its appearance, your fur prickles with tension and anxiety.

Flavor text needed

• Give 3x carcasses
• Give 2x Healing Salves

Southern ChupacabrasThe Merged
If death itself could have a child with a rat, the creature standing in front of you would be the result. The skull-like muzzle is frozen in a permanent, unsettling grin as the beast stares at you.

While the creature isn't huge, it doesn't seem to be afraid of you and it would be foolish to underestimate it. Its rattlesnake tail makes you wonder if its bite is venomous. It definitely looks like it. When it approaches you, you can hear its loud, disgusting breath sounds.

"If you want to stay around, you must follow my rules and do as I say. Otherwise, get out."
Flavor text needed

"You came to serve me more? Smart move."

• Give 3x Beaver Carcass
• Find destroyed den in the Rainforest

StrengthFearless Opponent (-1 on Rest/Wait, -1 on Chase, -1 on Snarl)

NagualIndependent
There is a strange vibe surrounding this creature. It's not just a bipedal canine with some humanoid features. You can't explain it, but you feel that there is much more to it than meets the eye.

While the Nagual's body doesn't appear strong or muscular, it is certainly not where the source of its power lies. When your eyes meet its gaze, you feel an intelligence surpassing your own. It's definitely unsettling.

"Come closer, I don't intend to harm you. My rage is directed at something else and I hope you will help me with a few simple tasks."
You notice the creature preparing something with its bony, five-fingered hands. Before you can see what it is, Nagual hides everything and stands up with a stern expression. Apparently, there are many secrets you aren't allowed to know, even when you work together.

Flavor text needed

• Help 3x distressed animals in explore

SpeedModifiers unknown

SisimitoIndependent
The mere sight of this ape-like creature covered with moss green fur makes you feel uneasy but its twisted body doesn't seem to cause it any pain.

While the creature is rather big and could be potentially dangerous to you, it seems hesitant to approach. Eventually, it comes closer, using its distorted body in a surprisingly smooth way, resembling a spider with backward-facing feet and fast movement.

"Hey, don't come too close. Yes, this far is good. I need someone to help me and you look bored. Interested?"
Flavor text needed

"Back so soon? Good, I need more help. You were so fast yesterday, surely it won't be a problem to do another, right?"

• Give 5x Large Rock
• Give 2x Healing Salves

Strength
Smarts
No modifiers

Water TigerIndependent
A nearby moss-covered log starts to move, and you realise that it never was a log–it's a large cat. Its fur is green and blue, and blends in well with its surroundings.

The cat appears intimidating, but it doesn't seem particularly bothered by your presence. You sense no malice, instead feeling as though you hold a mutual respect for each other. It sits regally and watches you coolly, inviting you with a sweep of its tail.

"Well look at that, a wolf! Usually I wouldn't even talk to you, but you seem smart and capable. Interested in helping me?"
Flavor text needed

"Ah, there you are. I heard you howling last night. I will never understand the desire...no matter, let's get on with today's task."

• Complete 3x hunts

Strength
Agility
No modifiers
Mel 🏜️

Posted 2023-08-03 15:47:48 (edited)

Glacier

AkhlutKinfolk
It takes a few seconds to realise that this creature isn't a dream or hallucination. It is a cross between a wolf and a fish or a whale with a long fin on its back and a tail adapted to the depths of the ocean.

The dual nature of this being makes it a bridge between the ocean and the land. You feel a twinge of jealousy deep inside your heart. You'd like to swim freely and hunt underwater, too. The ocean wolf smiles slightly, noticing your genuine fascination, and approaches you with a friendly attitude.

"It's rare to meet someone by accident here. Or maybe it's not an accident. Will you help me with something?"
Flavor text needed

• Find the giant squid in the Glacier
• Give 2x Healing Salves

Strength
Smarts

Fur-Bearing TroutKinfolk
Flavor text needed
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Unidentified BeingsKinfolk
You've seen many unexplained things in your life, but the sight in front of your eyes is beyond your comprehension. A bipedal creature, despite having a familiar body frame, makes your body stiff with anxiety and all your senses seem fogged...

The more you focus on the being, the more details you can spot. Their natural body armour reminds you of an insect but they're far from that. Even when you get used to how they look, their presence still makes you feel anxious and uneasy. This creature doesn't feel right and something about them is alien to the core. Your instinct tells you to run away but an oddly calming voice speaks to you by your name directly in your head. You don't even truly hear it...you feel it.

"Fear not! We need your cooperation in order to cease this madness. This world's natural balance is in danger. Will you assist us?"
Flavor text needed

"You're back! Choosing you was the right decision. You can do more if you're up to it. It would be highly appreciated."

• Give 3x Weasel Carcasses
• Give 3x carcasses
• Find humans in the Glacier
• Give 1x Healing Salve, 1x Nesting Material, and 1x amusement item (randomized)

SmartsFearless Opponent (-1 on Rest/Wait, -1 on Chase, -1 on Snarl)

Bloody BonesThe Merged
You can't believe that something that looks like a rotting carcass can even be alive, let alone deadly, but your gut tells you to be careful.

While the skinny, distorted body of the creature looks weak, its lidless eyes embedded in a skull-like face are glowing with bloodthirst. If your worst thoughts could take a form, they would look like this abomination. When it focuses its gaze on you, you start to feel anxious.

"Done admiring me? Follow my orders and I may let you live a little longer."
Flavor text needed

• Give 5x mix of Whale Rib Bones and Bones (specific amount needed of each will be randomized)

Speed
Smarts
No modifiers

Old ScratchThe Merged
You have to look twice to believe your eyes. At first you thought this creature is a human, but the red skin and horns leave no room for imagination.

Yellow eyes stare at you intensely, and a soft smirk appears on the devil's face. While elegant and well-mannered, he has the vibe of a natural predator. You can't deny that he is both unsettling and fascinating.

"What perfect timing! You have a fantastic opportunity to show your worth by completing a few simple tasks. It will be beneficial for both of us and you won't regret it. Unless you refuse."
The devil greets you in a way only a good, old friend would do but you know that behind the pleasant voice and graceful movements, there is a real threat that you would face in case of poor performance.

Flavor text needed

• Complete 3x hunts

SmartsFearless Opponent (-1 on Rest/Wait, -1 on Chase, -1 on Snarl)

Sea SerpentThe Merged
A giant serpent observes your movements carefully. Its body is dark and shiny like the surface of a cold, midnight sea. It could probably crush your bones effortlessly.

One step towards this creature could be your last one. The snake smiles ominously with its mouth full of long, sharp teeth. That doesn't help in overcoming your doubts, but you notice a genuine interest in its bright eyes. When it hisses, it feels like it could suck your soul away.

"There is something interesting about you that I like. If you help me with something, I will consider not eating you."
Flavor text needed

• Give 2x Healing Salves

Strength
Smarts
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)

KrakenIndependent
Two round eyes as large as your head stare right through you. The creature's tentacled, slimy body shifts over the ice and sends shivers down your spine.

You've never seen such a large beast; whispers, perhaps, but nothing solid. From the way it's wobbling unsteadily, it's clear it doesn't belong on land. Yet here it is, waving its many tentacles around that make small sucking sounds as they detach and reattach themselves to the ice. It reaches toward you curiously.

"Hmm, you're not very suited for this icy place, are you? I was hoping for something else. I guess you'll have to do. Help me out?"
Flavor text needed

• Complete 3x hunts
• Give 3x carcasses
• Defeat 2x Akhlut
• Defeat 2x Sea Serpent

Strength
Smarts
Thick Skin (-1 on Shear)

Snow WassetIndependent
The creature resting in front of you looks like a fur-covered snake with a muzzle similar to the one of a stoat or a marten. It doesn't look very intimidating, and it's even kind of cute, but it's best to be careful.

You wonder if its atrophied limbs have any function or if this creature really can hunt without them. The Snow Wasset licks its mouth and turns to face you slowly. A self-confident smirk tells you at once that it can probably catch its prey better than you. Its eyes look hungry...

"Do you have some time to help me out with some easy tasks? If not, then go away, this is my territory."
Flavor text needed

"Welcome again, my long-legged friend. It wasn't a bad idea to let you do this. Are you ready for another job?"

• Find the shipwreck in the Glacier
• Give 2x Healing Salves

AgilitySmall Prey Opponent (+1 on Snarl)
Prey Opponent (+1 on Rest/Wait, +2 on Chase, +2 on Retreat)

White LadyIndependent
You're quite surprised to see a human female in this unfriendly environment. Upon closer inspection, you notice that her skin is ghostly pale and an otherworldly vibe surrounds her, making you feel uneasy.

The ghostly woman stares at you in silence. Her ethereal and luminous gown appears to be moving even without any wind. There is something very sad and melancholic about her expression. She nods slightly, allowing you to come closer.

"If you're here, you must feel the disturbances in this world too. I need your help to bring it back to what it was."
Flavor text needed

• Possible quests

Mel 🏜️

Posted 2023-08-03 15:47:54 (edited)

Cryptids Sorted by Faction

Kinfolk

Ahuizotl

Akhlut

Alaskan Tiger

Axehandle Hound