Skip to main content
Main Content

What Do You Do With Studs?

Posted 2021-03-31 05:48:37

I was curious about stud playstyles other players go with. It was a pleasure reading yours and I'm gonna share mine.

Before my lead was a fox, he was set a stud but not studded at all because he was one of the many common wolves that players would stud instead. Once I used fox app on my breeding male, I was so enjoyed with such achievement that I wanted to share the joy with others. I wanted to have some players who would think positively about my stud.

About the price: I set it decently high to the extent that allows me to do about 30 studdings a week. Financial benefit is obvious but the minor reason of why I set such a price. I don't think about getting riches from studding and if it was only about the money, I could just set a low price on a whim. But I don't set it low for other reasons.

One of them is competition: I respect other studs. If I set my price low, it's like demanding to stud to my wolf and only my wolf and I'm afraid that other admirable studs would be given less attention - with my current price I'm giving players a healthy choice about picking a stud.

Another reason is that I believe customers respect services for respectful prices: when I receive a stud request, I'm positive that the user is serious about this. And I can treat with deference all the customers. I don't have to enforce rules that are out of my control such as no stud racing or chasing pups. When the stud request is cancelled, I believe it was a mature decision even if the reason was not provided. Whatever is done after the studding from the customer, it is done with an awareness of cones spent - they are broadly more attached to the pups and may give reasonable prices when selling or making them stud so customers of my customers are also respectful with their decisions.

Also, it's good to get studding requests throughout the week rather than have all slots used within a few days then wait the majority of time till they refresh.

I have stud designed that follows trends because depending on them I get studdings done. The difference between casual studs and demanded studs is sadly huge. I choose the latter so I can continue studding. Studding is fun in itself.

Before I had a fox, I used to stud for stats with tier II studs. Once I got a fox, I didn't look at other studs. I sent my females to my stud for tier III base and usually grinded on it. With time going, I started sending some of my females for new tier III base stat breeding and the remaining ones for casual studding, to donate cones and non-verbally interact with other stud owners because as I mentioned, studding is fun.

I use pair bonds exclusively for stat breeding. Highest stat wolves get to bond to make pups with unpopular lineages. Occurrences of pair bond breeding are quite rare so I don't even look at the limit.

Dżanek

Posted 2021-04-16 18:44:34 (edited)

do you have a stud?

I don't actually.

If so, why? Is it for money, to spread lineage, etc? Do you keep up with current trends or go more casual?

If you don't have a stud, why not?

I love lore, but more than that I try and keep my lines and lineage to myself. Usually. I had a dust based, high stat male who stood in for the first quest, but after that I never reinstated him, I just made him the pupsitter. A little later I found a NBW who I thought was neat, but I also didn't make him my stud due to lore, and the fact that I knew I wouldn't be happy if he was the stud I had the next couple of months. I'm just waiting at this point for the /one/ stud who I know would work well, be pretty popular, and have it fit with that character.

Also, what's your opinion on other people's studs, generally speaking? Do you send stud requests? How often/little?

I think people with other studs are neat. They put their money on the line to make a nice male for other people to breed to, and they gave more people /options/- I also think that they're probably really profiting from it. I send a stud request when I have a nice female who would definitely not have pretty pups or high stat ones with any of the current males.

And lastly: does your pack primarily consist of females that you send stud requests for? How often do you pair bond your wolves?

I have one who I sent a stud request for, and that was because she was too pretty not to. I have a couple more females than males, but that's mostly on accident- the males kept dying, or they weren't high stats. 

And when I can, I literally plan out pair bonds as soon as I can; I find the notion cool and sweet, and I like the fact that I can have puppies from other males and not risk inbreeding later on. It's pretty useful, ya know, and it just makes more sense in the long run. On that note; I treat most of my wolves as characters rather than just breeding machines because 1 projecting 2 I'm a writer

JestersPlay

Posted 2021-04-16 19:56:26

My stud is a russet boy that I picked mainly for my own breeding purposes. He's not trendy at all but I like him and he's gonna be stud for life. I spent 30 gc on customizing him and honestly never expected to make it back - I just wanted a good-looking boy - but I'm pleasantly surprised that he's managed to turn a profit. Also, my next stud is going to be his son to carry on his lineage.

I also use outside studs for a variety of reasons:
- Specific base breeding (I like cool t2s and russet is obviously not ideal for that)
- Merle
- Albinos for my one albino girl
- Specific role stats (my stud has a strength/speed build, so he's not particularly useful if I'm trying to breed chasers or stalkers)

My pack is a pretty good mix of males and females. A lot of them may never breed and that's fine; I wouldn't have room for so many puppies anyway.

I haven't done any pairbond breedings yet, but I've paired off some of my hunters. Many of them are over 5 years old, so it'll soon be time for them to breed their replacements.

Lionel

Posted 2024-05-19 23:13:08
I agree with @JestersPlay, I'm basically the same lol.

As someone who has been playing almost exclusively for roleplaying reasons, it's been difficult trying to balance lore and the game's studding aspect, but with my current stud Loker, it's worked out perfectly. I don't actually know if I will be able to replicate it again in the future, I'll probably retreat from the studding scene after him.

q: do you have a stud? If so, why? Is it for money, to spread lineage, etc? Do you keep up with current trends or go more casual? If you don't have a stud, why not?

I've been having public studs since I learned how to use them.
I currently have a very successful Opal stud - a chased NBW yearling I found myself! It was the right wolf at the right time and very little customisation was needed to get the look I wanted. Unless you count the MoD app...

Every stud I've had - and there have been two others - were set public for their own reasons. Taymyr Storm-Eye, my first real stud, was just too handsome for me not to share him with others - he was perfect to populate my own pack with the kind of wolves I wanted to have, and his stats also attracted people to him. Many of my current wolves are descended from him so I keep track to ensure they don't inbreed.
My second stud, Aki the Ancestor, was where I figured out a lore-based reason for studding but found myself wishing he was more popular. I crafted a Badger Base from scratch for him, only to replace it with Abomination... He was handsome both times, but it somehow didn't work out and ended up being more costly than profitable.
Loker is my perfect boy though I've achieved a perfect balance with him, he's neither a colourbomb nor realistic, and there's not a lot of Cool Light studs like him out there so I'm happy to popularise bases like Opal, Larimar and Squid with more subdued pastel looks, and he has a few returning customers thankfully. He's also a major character in my pack and the studding thing fits the lore as well, more than my previous two studs. I'm proud of him, but depending on how things develop in the next while, I'll probably take a break from setting a stud/breeding male and focus on private lineages or non-canon projects if I do acquire a breeding male I like.

I personally try to find a balance between what I find aesthetically appealing and what's trendy. However, I did apply MoD Patches: Split on my stud for the trend more than anything, though it suits him very well.
Needless to say, stats aren't important to me. I don't have the time or resources to grind for stats, especially for a NBW.

q: what's your opinion on other people's studs, generally speaking? do you send stud requests? how often/little?

Maybe it's just me, but I finally feel like a balance between naturals and colourbombs has been reached on this game lol. Maybe because of the new bases that were released not too long ago, but there's soooo many beautiful naturals to choose from now. As a naturalistic breeder, I'm really happy about it. But some of the colourbomb designs are breathtaking and super tempting to breed to but I'm deadset on relative realism for my pack's look lol.
The prices do seem to be all over the place sometimes though, but I find everyone is mostly reasonable. Sometimes even too cheap.
I send requests fairly often, as I keep coming across handsome studs and get really curious what pups they might have with one of my females. That being said, I do have some strict rules in my pack over which females can/cannot breed to outside studs.

q: does your pack primarily consist of females that you send stud requests for? How often do you pair bond your wolves?

My pack is based on lore, so I rarely ever pay attention to gender when deciding which pups to keep, which females to breed etc. so there's an unconscious balance in the male/female ratio, I think.
If a female of mine is in a pairbond, and a Trueblood (a subclass in my pack lore), I will not breed her to anyone else but her mate. However, I will sometimes keep an unrelated/random female for breeding and then chasing, which is non-canon and may just be a specific look I want to experiment with.
I am always on the lookout to pairbond my wolves, it's an important part of my gameplay experience
I've only just now started to collect T3s btw, tiers were irrelevant to me until very recently. It's been almost three years since I joined WD and I'm only now figuring out what kind of specific features I like (bases, base types, eyes, markings etc.) so this change will affect my breeding and studding choices in the future.

Side Note: the Search function in Crossroads is invaluable when trying to find a public stud with specific features. A lot of stunning studs aren't advertised often, or at all, despite belonging to active players and being very valuable. I am very happy to send them breeding requests when I can and hope more people use this function!

☨𝖋𝖔𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖆𝖓☨

Search Topic