Skip to main content
Main Content

"Fountain of Youth" - An Alternative to Immortality

Posted 2021-01-28 23:59:10

Can that be completely reset? Wolves still gain stats after level 20 and it'd be very game breaking if they kept gaining more stats and able to keep on living! Having a fully proficent wolf + level 20 at 1 year isn't currently possible so that seems a bit cheaty to have them keep that as well!

Stabby

Posted 2021-01-28 23:59:34

ok. 

now that i have reread your post. it didn't mention anything about limit on using it on the same wolf who is 7 years and older. 

of course i understand you wouldn't want this idea to be abused. 

maybe put in the main post the limit of how many times you can use it on the same wolf. 

magicwhitewolf

Posted 2021-01-29 00:14:00

@Stabby -- Yep, I do agree, it's kinda tricky. The best solution I can think of is that their stats/level is locked so they at least can't gain more, even if they already have a ridiculous amount haha. It would be kind of unfair to reset their stats I feel, but if the person knows that the stats will be reset I suppose it's still fair. Hmm, can't really think of a better solution.

Although I do want to mention, in the 4th development update the devs mentioned that training adolescents will be added, so it might actually be possible to get a level 20 or just higher level/proficiency wolf at 1 year when that's added.

I actually thought of a possible solution to the problem now -- the wolf could have a breeding cooldown of like, 30 days, and a job cooldown of maybe 7 days or something, after the item's been used. So they can't start breeding or doing jobs with super high level and stats at 1 year old. Idk, it might work.

Sorry for the essay haha, I was basically thinking aloud (or, like, thinking... typing? idk what to call it lol) ^^'

@magicwhitewolf -- I actually did note it there, just in passing! :o In the last paragraph under 'the "Fountain of Youth"' header:

"If this item needed to be more balanced, you could perhaps have more limitations, beside it only being used on 7+ year old wolves; such as, it can only be used once on a wolf, or you can only use the item a certain number of times each month."

It would be for the devs to decide if they implemented it, anyway, so I didn't think there was a need to make it a huge thing. I might go back and add it though :)

︴▹ speedyscout 🏔️

Posted 2021-01-29 00:17:36

sorry most have missed it. 

it wasn't very clear to me. 

magicwhitewolf

Posted 2021-01-29 11:58:55

You're good!

I think as long as they can't gain any more stats after having the item used on them (or they just start all over with a reset), it should be fine! 

Stabby

Posted 2021-01-29 12:28:18

ok. 

i hope your idea gets added to the game. 

of course it is up to wolvden team to add it or not. 

magicwhitewolf

Posted 2021-01-29 12:35:13

No support from me atm sorry.  If this is added as is it sounds very, very game breaking. Like, I could just keep resetting a wolf to gain more and more stats and never need another one ever again. Even if used just once that's a wolf with 2 lives worth of training and stat gains. Part of wolvden is breeding the next gen to be better than the 1st and to me this totally negates any kinda challenge for that part of the game unfortunately. This also removes any challenge of hard to breed things such as T3 wolves as people can just keep them around forever which imo is not a good thing.

Zambz

Posted 2021-01-29 22:35:07

@Stabby -- I think that having their stats "lock" is best, yeah. I'll add that to the main post :)

@magicwhitewolf -- Yep, I'd love it to be added but it's up to WD. c:

@Zambz -- I totally understand your concern!

"Like, I could just keep resetting a wolf to gain more and more stats and never need another one ever again. Even if used just once that's a wolf with 2 lives worth of training and stat gains. Part of wolvden is breeding the next gen to be better than the 1st and to me this totally negates any kinda challenge for that part of the game unfortunately."

I agree with that and so do several other players. My idea is that the stats and level "freeze" - after you reset a wolf, they cannot gain more stats or level up more. I'll actually add that to the main post now.

"This also removes any challenge of hard to breed things such as T3 wolves as people can just keep them around forever which imo is not a good thing."

Again, I actually agree. It would probably be ideal to have a limit of only being able to use this once. OR maybe, you couldn't reset studs/breeding males or make a wolf that's been reset a stud/breeding male, just so there's a bit less chance of people just having one "immortal" T3 stud or something? But they could still breed in pair bonds, or to studs if they're a female I guess.

Both of those are very good points and I'll add the possible solutions to the main post. :)

︴▹ speedyscout 🏔️

Posted 2021-01-30 11:45:41 (edited)

No support. Reversing a wolf back 6-7 years is a hell of a lot of rollovers. If I'm doing the math right... 144-168 rollovers in total? 

Doubling the lifespan of your wolves, even if only once, is way overpowered. No way around it. Immortality exists so that wolves can be kept around for sentimental reasons, lore, or even just to plain show off. We don't need any kind of alternative to that which allows them to continue being in play.

EDIT: having an item that does this for GC, too, just... instantly makes the game pay to win. No thank you

Closet

Posted 2021-01-30 22:26:14

@Closet -- Yeah, I do understand. Not really going to try and argue since you make good points. Well, except, it could be so it only sends them back to, idk, 3 years or something-- but even so I see how it's a bit OP.

︴▹ speedyscout 🏔️

Search Topic