Skip to main content
Main Content

Show Instances of Inbreeding

Posted 2021-06-29 03:25:04

I support it. I try to avoid inbreeding but already have some inbred wolves myself. I'd love to have an option to see if there is a wolf already multiple time in the heritage or if it would be in a possible litter between two wolves. 

For those who dont want to use it maybe a possibility to turn it on (as a user toggled option) that a inbred warning occurs? That way new players dont need to worry about inbreeding at first and dont get a inbreeding warning

(I dont know if it already was mentioned,  if so I am very sorry!)

Sapuna Glandar

Posted 2021-06-29 07:51:02

Support. I avoid inbreeding for personal reasons - it makes me uncomfortable. At this stage of the game, it's still possible to work on avoiding inbreeding easier, but as linages get longer, things get more tedious. Imagine going through potentially hundreds of generations to make sure you're avoiding inbreeding...

It's possible to make the "hey, there might be inbreeding" message not to be a very aggressive one. That way those who find it useful would know where to look, and those who don't mind inbreeding can easily ignore it.

Ihmislehma

Posted 2021-06-29 08:02:11

On the sister site when you view the heritage it just says the below. 

This lion has 1 instance of possible inbreeding.

Note: Inbreeding has no in-game effect.

That's been a feature for quite some time now, and no ill effects that I saw when or after it was implemented. Personally I think it helps newcomers as well who may unknowingly buy a wolf for their breeding male only to find out no one wants to breed to it because it's inbred. To some it may not matter, but having the info there shouldn't hurt anyone and helps others make informed decisions. 

Snowcat13 🌞

Posted 2021-06-29 10:44:34

The problem with the sister site's way of doing things is that it doesn't actually calculate the whole lineage. For instance, you may have one creature that says "1 instance" but if you click on their site he may say "2 instances". 

The devs have also explicitly stated that if something is on Lio but not here, there are reasons for it. Either it's coming, or they've decided it's not right for this site.

An underlying issue here to address would also be how one defines inbreeding. For some folk, having ANY doubles at ANY point on the lineage tree means the results are dirty, even if it's 15 generations back and one on each side of the tree. By that definition, a whole lotta humans would be inbred too! Most folk IRL don't care beyond grandparents.

Other players only care if the inbreeding is visible on the first page. This is more in line with IRL expectations, but can be frustrating if you buy a pup and they're dirty just one layer above visible. A lot of pet sites handle it that way too - related within N degree is forbidden or gets the result marked as inbred, but later bloodline crossing does not. 

So beyond the question of how to implement warnings, the devs would also have to answer what exactly IS inbreeding for this site, and how should it be tracked. It's not a small topic, and no one's really in the wrong, either. While I hope for a solution, the solution they land on still won't be enough for some people and will be too much for others

finnfinite

Posted 2021-06-29 11:40:05

That's a fair point! It's something to really consider, for sure.

Ihmislehma

Posted 2021-07-12 08:18:12

1,000,000 % still support this topic!

Though this has no in-game effects, I think that this could help me in ways other than just seeing who's inbred: Lines!

I used to not care about how big lines were, but ever since I realized people wanted small lines and would pay more for those due to simplicity of checking the lines for inbreeding, I've been very careful to only buy small lines so I can sell the pups. 

That is very annoying because there are so many large lined wolves out there that are perfectly fine when it comes to markings.

In my opinion, large lines could mean good things such as this wolf is very well bred and related to great wolves.

How does this tie into the topic?

Well if it says a wolf is not inbred, perhaps someone would be quicker to buy a wolf with large lines!

I REALLY HOPE THAT THEY ADD THIS SOON! 

Serp [Inactive]

Posted 2021-07-16 09:53:38

I strongly support this even though inbreeding has no effect at all. 

Due to many players (me included) prefer NIB wolves it would actually be pretty handy to have a COI and get a warning when choosing wolves for breeding. 

Dracane

Posted 2021-07-17 07:07:47

Support. It will help save time and might encourage some to buy wolves with longer lineages.

Miso 🥣

Posted 2021-08-06 13:43:21
Not to necro this but massive support here.

♔ Manawrath ♔

Posted 2021-09-30 08:11:19
I support this. I always breed clean and it would be helpful to immediately see instances of possible inbreeding.

ᴘɪᴄ†ɪ