Skip to main content
Main Content

Monster Hunter: Wolvden

Posted 2020-10-06 00:25:17

Ahh I'm in the process of making my pack MH themed!

Bow main here, closing in on 800 hours and just beat Fatalis with my Switch Axe buddy yesterday :)

Jato

Posted 2020-10-06 05:07:47

I am a big Insect Glaive fan. I was a Long Sword on 3 Ultimate though. I do use a Charge blade from time to time though depending on what I am fighting.

WinterNexus

Posted 2020-10-06 05:19:34

The only Monster Hunter game I've played is Stories but I will be getting Rise also Stories 2 when they come out. Got the Collector's Edition of Rise as well as all the amiibos preooreder so excited for that. Lol I wasn't much into or knew any of the monsters outside of Stories till I joined an ARPG called MHRiders on Da.

TheoxSora

Posted 2020-10-08 00:44:13

Has anyone else had any luck with alatreon? I spent a good time last evening/night hunting it with two of my friends - but only getting inexperienced hunters (as in both HR and MR are under 100) as fourth from SOS just... Didn't make it end so well. Later one of my other pals joined and even with our good party we had a stroke of bad luck and couldn't win. 

We almost got there, but there is so much alatreon a gal can handle before wanting to rage quit lmao 

Kahvinporo

Posted 2020-10-08 00:53:32

I've only beaten Altreon with a friend (Switch Axe, sometimes Hammer) but we can semi-consistently beat him now. His hitboxes are really tight luckily and his moves predictable once you know what to look for. Here's a bow guide I followed but it has tips on dodging in general as well:

youtu.be

Eat for Safeguard + Insurance if you can, max health boost is nice. Vigorwasp + Moxie gives you some extra lives too. 

As a bow user, I really like Evade Window (at least 3) + Evade Extender 1 (sometimes). He's safe to clutch claw when he's using Ice/fire breath attacks but don't try when he's all electric-y. Impact mantle + partbreaker (save power coatings for horn breaks) to break his face though I usually rely on my melee buddy for face breaking. 

Another thing is to really keep up DPS, damage at every opening you can. Keeping him enraged means you can do more damage against him so enrage him ASAP. 

Are there any moves in particular giving you trouble?

Jato

Posted 2020-10-08 01:05:02

The fire breath is the one attack that kills me the most :''DDDD And my fire resistance isn't even negative. And moxie won't save me from that either because being on fire eats the one last HP I had. I've grown better dodging the attacks, but sometimes you just end up in a bad spot - like you have all the blights and you can't get through the ice and just perish. 

I'm LBG main, I've used it much more than any other weapon (probably almost 10 times more than anything else). And I use safi aquashot for rapid fire sticky 2 with nargacuga's spare shot, to deal damage and hopefully stun a monster. We did well with a party of me, alatreon LBG, longsword and switch axe user. But unlucky deaths happened. 

We always ate for safeguard and few times had insurance too - but it just wasn't enough.  

Kahvinporo

Posted 2020-10-08 01:12:20

Are we talking the Event Quest? Or the Special Assignment? Alatreon I can manage with my squad? I can even two man him with one other of my squad members. He's not difficult... just annoying with the Elemental DPS check.  T-T  I mean we've had our fair share of bad luck of course, but generally we do okay? 
I never trust SOS randoms unless it's a regular quest. But that's just me. ^^;; 

HR/MR mean absolutely nothing sometimes. I've seen low ranking MR/HR players out play those that are higher ranks. I've seen high rank MR/HR absolutely suck. And I've of course seen everything in between. It's a player's personal skill more then anything. But I do agree that low ranking players are limited in their gear and therefore usually have a harder time with Elder Dragon monsters that shouldn't be a MR24 quest (lookin at you Alatreon and Fatalis).

Fatalis is the monster wanting me to rage quit. Lol. It's been a full week and I haven't beaten it once still. It's very irritating and upsetting. A lovely fight... but damn. So difficult. 

SpillGnu

Posted 2020-10-08 01:20:25

I'm talking about the special assignment one, the one I need to defeat to even get a chance to go against alatreon.

Yeah, HR/MR don't really mean anything, but if the person hasn't even fought against ruiner or silver/gold rathalos/rathian - what chance they have to win alatreon? It doesn't even take that long time to grind yourself to MR 100 which for sure would be a better requirement for these two late-game dragons. 

Kahvinporo

Posted 2020-10-08 01:59:35

The fire breath that sweeps the arena? That attack can be rolled through, whatever direction it's coming you at from, roll in the opposite direction through the flame and keep some evade window on you. If you're standing next to the head you can clutch claw it pretty safely.

Blight Resistance 2 + Coalescence (if you want that damage boost) or Blight Resistance 3 is insanely helpful for the health ticking too. Safi Chest alpha has blight resistance on it I think. 

I've never played with randos before so can't help much in that department :'D 

Jato

Posted 2020-10-08 02:13:57

Hi hello, MHW is my first Monster Hunter game as well. PC, closing in on 500 hours. Somehow made it up to Zorah on PS4 without ever crafting armor or weapons, apparently was an Insect Glaive player. It's been a couple years since I touched the PS4 version though. SwitchAxe main on PC! Sometimes Hammer, Greatsword, Insect Glaive and Longsword as well. (I want to learn to be well rounded in all the weapons at some point.) I have Generations Ultimate on Switch, and on that I main Longsword Aerial style.

Alatreon is a difficult fight, but one of my favorites. I like to go in with two pieces of Velkhana, two pieces of Blackveil, and one piece Frostfang. Increased elemental, extra recovery, and stun draw is a good time. Resuscitate and Blight Resistance 2 is a good combo for me.

For attacks I can't dodge or side step or fade out of, I try to sheathe my weapon and dive evade. Most of the time I get hit, but Jato carried me though the elemental check half the time. Alatreon would run me down quite a lot, but it took a while to learn his moveset to make it to the first judgement on my own.

Discrete

Search Topic