WHATS UP WOLVDEN IT'S INVERTEBRATE TIME

Posted 2020-11-14 15:20:48

OK SORRY FOR DELAY had to upload

first of all you must meet the fam

they all have names and we know who is who because we're nerds

FIRST:

My lady Peepeeta enjoying her rock climbing arch:

Here is Poopoo, climbing around, probably about do do what she's named after:

Here is the proud papa, the only rooster in the henhouse, Shart!

(i wish i could tell you that children named these snails, but nope, that was me and my SO, two 30+ year old idiots hahaha)

Here is a slightly broader view of 3 of the SEVEN clutches of eggs these degenerates have laid over the last month:

Closeup view of some eggs cause these things are neat

Finally, my favorite: An image of Poopoo actually laying the eggs:

I have more but will not burden you further with my snail obsession

Keld

Posted 2020-11-14 15:29:22

Burden us now please

💪🦝WonderFounder👢

Posted 2020-11-14 15:33:50

Honestly, YAS PLEASE. Moooore. Your babies are so cute  !!!!

DaggerDietriech

Posted 2020-11-14 15:41:07

IM CRYINH PEEPEETA AND POOPOO

also when i kept garden snails i could tell all 10 apart....

snail

Posted 2020-11-14 15:59:10 (edited)

My snails are named Benedict, Winky, Claudia, and d i r t

💪🦝WonderFounder👢

Posted 2020-11-14 16:01:59

Hahaha, ok well, you asked for it! :D These guys are living in the 20gal on our living room end table which is excellent for viewing purposes so we watch them basically all the time. They're super fun because they like climbing to the top of the tank and then let go of the wall and just drop down, which we helpfully narrate with "weeee!"

I don't have as good of pics of her, but there's actually a fourth snail in there, also a girl, and her name is DooDoo. She is like PooPoo, but a little smaller. :D 

We also have 2 more snails in a 10 gallon in the dining room, who are named Fart and WeeWee, and are boy and girl, respectively. They have also been laying eggs, though only 2 bunches so far. They helpfully decided to demonstrate snails making, uh, babies, and I took a picture because I haven't seen many images of this species (mystery snails, Pomacea bridgesii) where they're mating and you can actually see the, uh, parts. So, you know. 

This photo is of Fart and WeeWee.

Slightly different pic of one of the clutches of eggs, but if you look closely you can see where the bright light above is causing you to be able to see darker spots on the inside of some of the eggs, which should be the developing baby snail embryos. :D

This is basically what they do all day long, when they're not eating. (No, actually, sometimes the females just keep eating like nothing is happening, lol.)

They are actually astonishingly good at immediately recognizing that food is around, and seemingly teleporting across the tank to eat it asap. Their favorite food is blanched broccoli stems, which they polish off shockingly fast. (There's a reason we named them poopy names, lol)

That's actually all the good pics I have laying around! Next time they get broccoli I'll take more pictures of the swarming action. :D 

However, we do have a couple other inverts. WeeWee and Fart share their tank with these guys, who are way harder to photograph: (Neocaridina davidi)

And a baby that's a few weeks old, for size comparison:

Finally, this big ol' boy who ate all our tomatoes: For the record, yes, my hand is almost touching him, and he is EXACTLY as big as he looks. Note the half-eaten tomato next to him lol

Keld

Posted 2020-11-14 17:10:08

IM CRYINH ABOUT THE SNAILS AND THE TOMATO HORNWORM

snail

Posted 2020-11-14 17:26:02

Big boi so green and happy

💪🦝WonderFounder👢

Posted 2020-11-16 00:35:31

THEY ARE ALL SO GOOD I LOVE THEM HOLY DANG THEIR LITTLE SNAIL NAMES THOSE EGG LAYING DEGENERATES I LOVE EM

Swampsquatch

Search Topic