Skip to main content
Main Content

Anyone else think Befriended wolf cooldown should be shorter?

Posted 2020-09-26 11:48:24 (edited)

I have to say I think I’d feel exactly the same if I were to join at public access or even a later date than that. To me, this isn’t a matter of how young the game is and comparing it to Lioden.

There will be some players that don’t know what the symbols indicate for personality/disposition, so we won’t know until we manage to bring in the wolf (if we are successful). There will be players who don’t look into what personalities are part of what disposition, and end up putting clashing personalities in their hunting parties. I was like that in the very beginning. I didn’t look into anything for awhile. Players like that, like me, shouldn’t have to be at a disadvantage when they do start figuring things out.

I may have lucked out with my hunting party, but I made some bad calls in my excitement to start filling my pack and I was not pleased that I was going to have to wait until today to fix my mistakes and try to make better decisions. Sometimes pushing so much for players to be patient and calculating can be a huge negative that can weigh heavily against all the positives.

EDIT: And no one’s saying it can’t still be a long cooldown, we just want shorter than waiting until the next rollover. There can be a long cooldown that encourages patience without it being so long that it feels punishing.

Robin

Posted 2020-09-26 11:56:43

Exactly, they're treating it like everyone coming into the game is going to be super knowledgeable and studying the guides the beta testers put out until they have them memorized but thats just not realistic to expect. People shouldn't be punished for experimenting with this game Especially because its brand new.

I don't mind the game slowdown, I don't mind Wolvden being a game that takes more time to get into and get successful, but what I do mind is when you get locked out of befriending wolves that you may like better than your impulse befriends because they decided to put in such a long cooldown for it. 

Drakine

Posted 2020-09-26 12:04:57

I agree with what some of the past users have mentioned. You have to remember that Wolvden IS a slower game all around. It was made to be more challenging in the aspect of hunting, scouting, breeding, etc. The mechanics work so that you do not speed through the first few weeks and can proceed at a decent pace without a rush of breeding, befriending, chasing a ton of wolves.

At the same time, I understand the frustration with the cooldown being a full day. Coming from a game where there was a much shorter cooldown makes it hard to adjust to. This was one of the things the other testers and I had to get used to when we first started the testing phase. We thought the same thing! But as you continue to play, the game gets more challenging and things become more balanced out as you go. There was a lot of adjustment with territory prices as well so that people couldn't obtain a massive pack within the first few days, you have to WORK for it! That's what makes the game more challenging and realistic. 

I think this is a decision that will need to be made in time. Try the game out for the first few weeks and then come back to this discussion to talk about the cooldown time. I promise you it is not as bad as you originally might think! We're just all so impatient right now and want to claim and chase all the wolves! :)

Arduska

Posted 2020-09-26 12:10:22

I think one rollover for cooldown is pretty fair. It’s only a day after all. I don’t think befriending should be treated as ”catch and release”. 

I don’t play Lioden so I have nothing to compare to, probably makes it easier for me to just go with it. :)

I hope they don’t make the cooldown shorter.

Eelai

Posted 2020-09-26 12:11:39

I like that wolvden seem to be a bit of a slow journey. :)

Eelai

Posted 2020-09-26 12:13:21

im hella picky and the rollover stops me from chasing the ones i dont want :/

gaz

Posted 2020-09-26 12:15:35

Same, now I gotta struggle between choosing to claim the rare few befriendable encounters I get in order to fill my roles, or putting wolves in my pack that I actually like. Especially with hunt synergy being a thing

Drakine

Posted 2020-09-26 12:21:30

The encounter to find a wolf you’re able to befriend is scarce enough on top of that. The cooldown could really make or break some people’s decision to play/keep playing, especially in the future.

Robin

Posted 2020-09-26 14:40:51

i understand that wolvden is meant to be a slower pace game and I also agree that a long cooldown is good, but a whole day really does feel excessive. Hell, before even reading this thread I thought to myself that a cooldown of 12 hours would be much nicer (and I still stand by that), but if other people feel it should be shorter I guess I also agree.

Venex 🦅

Posted 2020-09-26 14:54:13 (edited)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind 12 hours. It's still pretty long, but I think it'd be a fair compromise for everyone.

Robin

Search Topic