Skip to main content
Main Content

Increase number of finishers and stalkers in hunting party

Increase number of finishers and stalkers in hunting party
Posted 2021-04-06 18:48:20 (edited)

Right now each party can only have 1 stalker and 1 finisher, and 3 chasers. It seems it would be more balanced to have 2 finishers and 2 stalkers for each party, as well as helping to train up the next generations. They could do their jobs in pairs like the chasers work together. 

Edit to add what I was asking is if we can have hunting parties that consist of 7 instead of 5. 

2 stalkers

finishers

3 chasers

One of the reasons for this is it's really hard to get to get as many hunts in on those and get experience and stats up as high as they could be on more than 2 of each. I have a couple of really nice stalkers and finishers, and a few new ones in training. I'm also trying to start a pair bonded NBW pair in each of the roles. If I can send out 20 hunts a day with 2 teams I have 6 chasers getting as much experience as they can every day - 2 fully trained, 2 young ones, and my 2 pair NBW ones. But only 2 finishers and stalkers get that same opportunity. The ones I'm trying to train up to replace the older ones never get a chance until the others die. Since stalking is so important to finding trails I would like to be able to have more of them out a day for full 10 hunts so they can reach their full potential. Right now I have a bunch just sitting there waiting for the older ones to die, or I pull the older ones to get the others out to hunt and they dont get the chance to get as high as they could have. 

I work all day so I really at best can consistently get out 20 hunts a day. It just seems more balanced to have at least 2 of each in the parties.

Edit to add that the purpose of this suggestion is to be able to train more finishers and stalkers without affecting existing amount of prey brought in, or hunts per day. Some of the other suggestions are focused more on getting more food. This one doesn't affect food at all. I wanted another option for the devs in case they want to keep the current difficulty to get food the same as it is now. 

Snowcat13 🌞

Posted 2021-04-10 18:53:09 (edited)

Support! I agree that it would be really nice to have more ways for my pack members to level and grow, since it feels like only 10 of my wolves are my "real" pack.

I may have mentioned in another thread already but I had an idea like this, where the hunting party size scales with den slots. So as you unlock a bigger pack size, you have the ability to send out a larger party and bring back more prey.

This would help the problem of feeding a big pack. Right now my wolves are always angry with me- I have enough food to keep them, but not to refill all their bars! I'm worried when karma is implemented there may be a penalty for letting all your wolves go unhappy 😰

Anyway yes, more hunters please!

🌠 Ꮚ𝘺𝘳𝘥𝘸𝘶𝘭𝘧 🌌

Posted 2021-05-08 12:59:40

@🌠 Ꮗ𝘺𝘳𝘥𝘸𝘶𝘭𝘧 🌌 

This is the same issue I'm having and why I don't/can't grow my pack any bigger. I have a team for every season, which means slow leveling up.

Jusdreiin

Posted 2021-05-16 10:03:01

I like the idea of having hunting parties grow with pack size. Well, up to a certain point. I feel like say for example 30 wolves in one hunting party would be too much. I have no suggestions on what the limit should be atm.

Rustby

Posted 2021-05-18 08:10:15 (edited)

I want to add that the current limit makes it big challenge to start new lines of finishers and stalkers. Basically you only get two teams, so you better pairbond those stalkers/finishers together. Not a lot of room for stat breeding projects.

If it's intentional to have chasers be the most common role in the game then it can still be scaled up to say a max size hunting party of 2 stalkers / 5 chasers / 2 finishers. I do like the flavor of stalker/finisher as a rarer elite role. I just want more chances to level up more of my wolves ^^

Maybe scale with den size and level of hunter? Like X slots to unlock the "elite" 9 wolf hunting party, and only wolves level 10+ can be in the elite team. Maybe one of the two stalkers/finishers must be level 15+, so it's like a captain & lieutenant!

Another thing that would solve this is more roles in general, maybe new roles that use currently unusable stat combos like strength/wisdom (battle commander for territory patrol? :0 that's an idea for another topic)

🌠 Ꮚ𝘺𝘳𝘥𝘸𝘶𝘭𝘧 🌌

Posted 2021-05-18 08:16:47

I like that idea too. :)

The limit to stalkers and finishers is my main issue. Really only 2 of each can get full hunts a day. So I have 2 gen 1 I want to get maxed up, and 2 replacement ones I need to start training, and the 2 that are currently leading. There is no way all 6 of those can get full hunts daily. Either I yank my older ones before they even get to full stats, or the young ones wait and never reach full potential. Since stalkers especially are so important to the size of the trails it's frustrating. Someone else had an idea to be able to send out more than 1 party at a time with same 10 hunt limit. That might help too.  I just want my stalkers to not be held back. They are ready to sniff out the prey, but instead they are sitting on the bench. 

Snowcat13 🌞

Posted 2021-05-23 10:07:54

I support the idea!

It's hard to level up the future hunters and the main hunters at the same time! It would be already a huge improvement for me if I could add 2 more wolves to an existing hunting party!

Lisitsa

Posted 2021-05-23 11:10:00

I support!  More jobs for wolves are sorely needed and it would be great if it could scale up with pack size.

Fran

Posted 2021-05-23 14:22:02

The concept looks quite interesting but technically the idea seems to leave a lot of questions. You explained this being useful as a way for more wolves to gain EXP, but how would hunting work?

How would stalkers find trails? Would it be average, the better one or sum of stats? Maybe the better wisdom and the better smarts individually are taken into account?

How do stalkers and finishers stats count toward hunting efficiency? Same questions as before. Wouldn't it make hunts more difficult?

Wouldn't this idea incapacitate single hunters? As for now, an incomplete hunting party can send a wolf for multiple role slots and it costs 20% energy per slot taken. A lone wolf has to use 100% energy to assign all role slots required to hunt. Along with your idea, the wolf cannot fill all 7 role slots as it's impossible to store 140% energy.

And last but not least, how would it have impact on newer and semi-active players? A decent part of community considers Wolvden as a game difficult to maintain wolves. They're reliant on food brought from hunts and finding out they'd need more hunters to feed for the same food, they wouldn't be happy with it.

Dżanek

Posted 2021-05-23 14:40:31 (edited)

I don't think anyone above meant to imply we should increase the default hunting party size from five, but expand it with a new option that is unlocked as game progresses. So you can still do a single wolf hunting party or the 5-wolves just as it is now. But if your den is big enough, you can unlock newer elite hunting party with extra roles. Yes, established packs could earn more food this way, but they're  also  using more food.

Those are great questions about how to calculate the stats. I imagine it would be easiest to implement if devs just copied the way Chasers currently work. It would be pretty cool if it used the best smarts/wisdom of the pairing like you suggest though, because that seems like the wolves really are working together :D good suggestion

I also actually *like* the idea of the hunt being more difficult IFF there is some other hidden bonus factor when using the elite party, like make synergy more important, or maybe add a bonus chance to find up-one trail size than you normally would (because its using best of both stalkers?) or better final chance on Large size prey. Seems realistic since IRL bigger packs take down large prey more easily.

It's definitely a concept that needs thought, but the current 10 wolf core pack member cap represents a serious bottleneck to progress.

☮️ 💜🌠🌌

🌠 Ꮚ𝘺𝘳𝘥𝘸𝘶𝘭𝘧 🌌

Search Topic