Skip to main content
Main Content

šŸŒ²šŸŒ• The Ashen Cypress Legacy [ Read Only ]

Posted 2021-03-13 17:18:59 (edited)

1.08: Bloodstained Leaves

Autumn, Year 01
āš ļø Death āš ļø

Already the first few chills that preceded winter could be felt along their mountainous territory, and a cold wind in the right direction could even send a few chills down a wolfā€™s spine at times. It worried Talayazhi, the young alpha feeling the pressure for the first time since her pack had been established back on that refreshing spring day.

ā€Overthinking again?ā€
ā€Mmm? Oh, hey Mack...ā€
ā€Wow, talk about zero excitement about seeing my face, huh?ā€

The coywolf allowed a couple of chuckles to slip past her snout at his remark, the large grey wolf sitting down close to the female once it was clear his company was welcomed. ā€Stop it, you know I appreciate your companyā€¦ I was just thinking about this coming winter.ā€ The worry lines returned once more as Talayazhi frowned, and Mackenzie didnā€™t have to think much to know what was causing the female to fret.

ā€Itā€™s gonna be fine, youā€™ll see. Duskleafā€™s pups are gonna adore seeing the snow for the first timeā€¦ Iā€™d even say our teens might turn into puppies themselves once more when they realize all the games you can have with it.ā€
ā€Oh yes, that I can agree withā€¦ I wonder how long itā€™ll take before Nightpaw manages to bury poor Spottedpaw under snow.ā€

Knowing how Nightpaw was Talayazhi was certain it wouldnā€™t take long for Mackā€™s pupil to figure something out, the dark she-wolf was quite tricky and keen wolf after allā€¦ if anything the coywolf hoped Duskleafā€™s new brood wouldnā€™t learn too many things from Nightpaw specifically.

ā€I just hope we have enough food for everyoneā€¦ winters can be quite unpredictable and cruel after all, and these pups are still so young.ā€
ā€Hah, you can say that againā€¦ but itā€™ll be fine. Sandwhisper and Bearpelt have been bringing in prey after prey, in all the varying sizes that our lands have to offer.ā€
ā€Trueā€¦ but what if we canā€™t find enough in winter? I donā€™t want the pack to go hungry...ā€

He leaned in closer, pressing Mackenzieā€™s back deliberately pressing against the coywolf to share his warmth.

ā€Youā€™re not alone anymore, Talaā€¦ no one is alone anymore.ā€
ā€I suppose...ā€
ā€Weā€™ll make it through, youā€™ll see. Besides the teens are learning quickly, soon theyā€™ll be fully fledged adults able to support the pack.ā€

He was right, the logical side of Talayazhiā€™s brain knew that muchā€”by the time the roughest part of winter arrived their pupils wouldā€™ve already received their full names and roles in the pack. Theoretically speaking they were overly prepared for this winter, even Mudtail had been hustling through all of autumn since the herbalist wanted to ensure she had more than enough herbs to spare in case any emergencies arose. They had done everything they could, and more, to prepare for the coming chilly monthsā€¦ and yet, for some reason, Talayazhi couldnā€™t shake away the worried feeling that gnawed at the insides of her stomach.

ā€Cā€™mon, how about a walk to distract your mind for a bit?ā€
ā€Alrightā€¦ itā€™s time to patrol the west border anyways.ā€

For the most part it had been a patrol just like any other, and the pair had even managed to catch a hare during their walk. Mackenzie was currently carrying it, the male having just done a funny face to make Talayazhi laugh, when they were interrupted as loud barks and growls echoed through the woods. ā€Those are not from our wolvesā€¦ letā€™s go, Mack!ā€ A high pitched yelp assaulted their ears soon after Mackenzie had nodded in affirmation, the sound causing Talayazhiā€™s blood to run cold before the pair rushed overā€¦ that had been the sound of a very wounded pup.

ā€Dang, that one sure had a nice pair of lungs to it! Whatcha think, Garn?ā€
ā€Hmph, donā€™t really careā€”Iā€™m just glad it finally shut up, Lark.
ā€My baby!!! You brutes, how could you do that to my baby!?!ā€
ā€Itā€™s okay darlinā€™, weā€™ll show you what else we can do with those other pups of yoursā€¦!"

As the pair got closer to the source of the commotion they could begin to hear snippets of the conversation, the motherā€™s anguished cries and shouts hard to miss or ignore as they disturbed the otherwise calm forest. It caused them to quicken their pace, and soon enough through the trees Talayazhi and Mackenzie finally got a good view of the clearing up ahead.

Two large males were walking in circles around a cowering female, the she-wolf using her own body to cover the two pups huddled under her while the limp body of a third lied discarded to one sideā€¦ probably the pup that had generated that high pitched squeal Talayazhi and Mackenzie had heard moments before. Before Talayazhi was aware her hackles had already raised and a rumbling growl echoed in her throat, and no sooner than Mackenzie and her had broken through the tree line the coywolf was already barreling towards the closest unsuspecting male.

ā€Mack, get the other one!ā€
ā€You got it, Tala!ā€

The hare Mackenzie had been carrying was unceremoniously spat into the ground as the large male ran past Talayazhi and the lanky brown wolf the she-wolf was now tangled up with, his bulkier form clashing against the black comrade of the one caller Lark as Mackenzie begun to wrestle the male for dominance on the ground. Loud growls, yips and barks created a cacophony in the clearing as the wolves tussled together, and before long both rogues had quickly rushed away with crying whimpers and their tails between their legs.

Mackenzie snorted at the sight, his tail still raised in a display of dominance along with Talayazhi, but any pride he wouldā€™ve normally felt at chasing intruders out of the packā€™s lands was dampened upon glancing at the wounded mother and the remaining pups she continued to protect.

ā€N-no, get backā€¦! You cannot have my pupsā€¦ I wonā€™t let you take more of them from me!!!ā€
ā€Shhhhhh... hey, itā€™s okay nowā€”see? The bad wolves are gone, and we wonā€™t let them come back!ā€
ā€I promise, we mean no harm to you nor your pups. Let us help you, Iā€™m sure our herbalist can take a look over you and yours back at campā€¦ hmm?ā€

The pair did the best to appear friendlier in front of the she-wolf and her pups, but the adrenaline still coursed through their veins and caused parts of their fur to stand on end against their wishes. It took a few additional moments for everyoneā€™s moods to mellow down all around, but Mackenzie and Talayazhi sat down and patiently waited in a show of good faith. Slowly the she-wolf began to realize the pair really meant no harm to her pups, and through small chatter the alpha was finally able to learn what exactly had transpired.

ā€I seeā€¦ so thatā€™s how things are.ā€
ā€Theyā€™re fucking monster, how could anyone justā€¦?! And to their ownā€”ā€
ā€Thatā€™s enough, Mackā€¦ unfortunately we cannot change the actions of othersā€”however we are willing to offer protection for you and your pups, Azalea.ā€
ā€... why? Donā€™t you know itā€™s almost winter?! Surely no pack would justā€”ā€
ā€Itā€™s precisely because we are so close to winter, Azaleaā€¦ I would not be able to rest at night knowing you and the pups are out there struggling, not when my pack can afford to help.ā€
ā€We have nothing to give you though...ā€
ā€Thatā€™s fine, no payment is requiredā€¦ likewise if, once your pups are healthy and grown, you all wish to continue on your way we wonā€™t stop you either.ā€

There was clear suspicion in her eyes as the she-wolf weighted what was being offered, unsure how much she could truly trustā€¦ but eventually Azalea nodded her head and allowed the pair to lead her and the pups back to camp. The hare had been gifted to the mother as a show of good will, enough to keep her pups busy during their walk, though she had refused to allow any others to carry the limp body of her third. Upon reaching camp, and thanks to the unexpected guests, it had taken almost no time for Mudtail to catch wind of what was happening as the herbalist quickly rushed everyone into her den.

Various herbs and oils were mixed together into salves that the herbalist generously applied to the various open wounds on Azaleaā€™s frame, and after a quick check up she determined the two surviving pups were healthyā€”though a little underweight given the circumstances. Unfortunately there was nothing Mudtail could do for the runt, his wounds having been too grave and too deepā€¦ if the she-wolf had to guess she was certain he probably had died right on the spot, a small comfort for the mother for it meant he hadnā€™t suffered long.

That night, as the growing pack gathered around a large elk cow carcass and everyone ate their fill, the mother finally decided to accept the generous offer of Talayazhi and join the Ashen Cypress. Talayazhi bestowed upon her the name of Azaleastorm, a name she generously accepted to honor the packā€™s tradition, before her two surviving pups became known as Stonepup and Auburnpup. The usual celebratory howls and name chants followed, but eventually the mood became somber and quiet as the pack gave space for another pressing matter.

ā€Finally, although he was gone too soon, this one too shall be welcomed into out pack just like his siblingsā€¦ we will remember Pebblestep in our hearts, and celebrate that he will no longer know pain or suffering under the embrace of the Moon above.ā€

Mackenzie had dug out a small grave for the pupā€™s body at Mudtailā€™s request, and the small runt was carefully placed inside by his loving mother so he could finally rest. Each pack member was allowed a turn to carefully cover his body with dirt, before finally the pack had retired into the dens to give Azaleastorm and her remaining brood time to privately mourn. Duskleaf would eventually come out to check on the female, gently guiding Stonepup and Auburnpup back to the pup den to rest, though she respected the wishes of Azaleastorm and allowed the female to remain curled by the grave of her youngest son for the rest of the night.

šŸŒ² The Ashen Cypress Pack šŸŒ•

Alpha: Talayazhi Moon
Scout(s): Mackenzie

Hunter(s): Sandwhisper (Tracker), Bearpelt (Chaser)
Herbalist(s): Mudtail
Pupsitter(s): Azaleastorm, Duskleaf
Pupil(s): Ashpaw (Duskleaf), Nightpaw (Mackenzie), Spottedpelt (Bearpelt)
Pup(s): Auburnpup, Dawnpup, Duskpup, Stonepup, Sunpup

Deceased: Pebblestep

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-13 18:28:04 (edited)

1.09: Paying It Forward

Autumn, Year 01

Three pairs of eyes kept a careful watch on the group of puppies currently playing at the center or the camp, the two mothers accompanied by one of the trio to have first received their true name from Talayahzi.

ā€So, when are your pups arriving? You donā€™t seem too far along yet...ā€
ā€Whaā€”Who, me? O-Oh no, Iā€™m not p-pregnantā€¦ I just like helping with the younger ones.ā€
ā€Seems like a waste of a young and able body thenā€¦ wouldnā€™t it be better for you to hunt with the others?ā€
ā€Ashbreeze has always been the nurturing type, besides the others bring plenty of prey as it isā€¦ puppies can be tricky, however, you can never have enough eyes on them at times.ā€

What followed was an awkward silence, Duskleaf quietly shooting Ashbreeze an apologetic glanceā€¦ Azaleastorm was still new to the pack, they both knew that much, and the female probably would need more time to get used to how things worked around here. However her arrival had been fortuitous, for it meant Duskleafā€™s own pups now had additional playmates with whom they could spend time with and grow togetherā€¦ and boy, puppies really did grow up fast at times.

Stonepup was a large and gentle pup, and his younger sister Auburnpup could always be found glued to her brother wherever he went. Sunpup had quickly formed a bond with the slightly older male, and the two had become almost inseparable ever since their first meetingā€¦ much to the dismay, at times, of Auburnpup. While Sunpup was outgoing and sociable his older sister was the exact opposite, Duskpup seemingly preferring to keep to herselfā€¦ though she didnā€™t seem to mind the company of their youngest sibling. Dawnpup was the smallest of them all, a runt as some would call them, and for many nights she had worried Duskleaf. Now however she seemed to be as healthy as the other pups, even if Dawnpup had quite the lackadaisical nature to herself.

When Talayazhi and Mackenzie had returned that evening with a familiar face in tow the quintet of pups had quickly gone over to greet Tala, always eager to hear the new stories the rogue she-wolf brought with her sporadic visits. This time, however, she had also brought additional companyā€¦ two adolescents that had stuck close to one another as they lied together in a section of the camp. Mackenzie had stayed with them, the scout trying to help them feel at ease and welcomed, while their alpha had disappeared into her den along with Tala to discuss certain things.

ā€Iā€™m sorry to ask this of you so suddenlyā€”ā€
ā€Tala, please, donā€™t worry about it. Youā€™ve been nothing but a king and welcoming friend to myself and our pack, this is merely me repaying that kindness youā€™ve shown us.ā€
ā€Thank you, little Tala, you truly are a friend. I wouldā€™ve loved to watch over them myself, but with winter so closeā€¦ā€
ā€I know, a pack life will be safer for them as they finish growingā€¦ and theyā€™ll also be able to help keep the younger ones fed when winter is here.ā€
ā€Theyā€™re good pupsā€¦ Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll adjust to life in Ashen Cypress well.ā€

The female nodded in agreement, and with the matter settled both she-wolves walked out to camp in time to see Sandwhisper and Bearpelt returning. Behind them the familiar figures of Nightstream and Spottedpelt struggled to drag a large elk cow carcass, with the brown male occasionally giving a verbal jab or two of encouragement to the youngest hunters. Ashbreeze had gone out to meet them once they were closer, aiding the duo in dragging the carcass the rest of the way while the two adults were briefed on the newest pack additions.

ā€Gather up everyone, today I have good news to deliver before we feast on this magnificent elk cow our hunters have brought home.ā€

There was a low grumble of protest from Azaleastorm, accompanied by a frustrated sigh from Duskleaf before the she-wolf nudged the other female on the shoulder. ā€Donā€™t forget you and your pups were once like them.ā€ It was enough to give the older she-wolf pause as a surprised expression overcame her, perhaps not expecting the friendly female to be so blunt, before both mothers walked closer to the gathering spot. Already the pups were there, grouped around the two new adolescents and asking all kinds of questions until Sandwhisper softly got them to be silent.

ā€Though Iā€™m sure most of you have already noticed today we have two new young members for the packā€¦ please, both of you, step forward.ā€

There was a palpable hesitation as both adolescents looked towards Tala, the dark she-wolf slowly nodding before she nudged the male with her snout softly. ā€Go on now, I promise you wonā€™t regret this.ā€ The female was the first to step forwards on her own, stopping a few steps short from the coywolf with a confident stance.

ā€From today you shall be known as Goldenpawā€¦ā€ Talayazhiā€™s eyes moved then to the left as the younger male now stepped forwards as wellā€”though he remained close to the flank of the female. ā€... while you shall be known as Goldpaw.ā€

ā€Now for your mentorsā€¦ Bearpelt and Mackenzie, come closer please.ā€ A nod was given to the two males, both of whom had recently finished mentoring their last pupils. Talayazhi was confident that the brown male would be able to handle the fire that the coywolf could see behind Goldenpawā€™s eyesā€”while Mackenzie might be able to give Goldpaw the confidence the male currently seemed to lack. ā€I trust you both to guide them down the right path as they learn and growā€¦ welcome to the family, Goldenpaw and Goldpaw!ā€

Upon finishing her speech the pack members erupted into cheerful barks and howls, the new names being chanted by those presentā€”including Talaā€”to welcome their new packmates. After that the pack celebrated as was customary, and between todayā€™s fresh elk cow and a mule deer carcass from the packā€™s winter reserves there was plenty of meat for all present to devour until their bellies were round and about to pop.

Hunter(s): Sandwhisper (Tracker), Bearpelt (Chaser), Nightstream (Chaser), Spottedpelt (Chaser)
Pupsitter(s): Ashbreeze, Azaleastorm, Duskleaf
Pupil(s): Goldpaw (Mackenzie), Goldenpaw (Bearpelt)
Pup(s): Auburnpup, Dawnpup, Duskpup, Stonepup, Sunpup

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-17 11:08:35 (edited)

1.10: Unknown Dangers

Autumn, Year 01
āš ļø Death āš ļø

The first chilly winds could already be felt around camp, a signal that winter would be arriving soonā€¦ and that fact had thrown most of the adult wolves into hasty last minute preparations. This would be the first winter they would weather together as a pack after all, and it was easily noticeable that all the pack members wanted it to go by without a hitch or any preventable troubles.

ā€Ashbreeze, darling, would you mind accompanying me today to gather herbs?ā€
ā€Oh, Mudtail...? I would, but the pups...ā€

There was a hesitant look given to the sleeping pile of puppies not too far away, before a gruff bark echoed from deeper in the cave as Azaleastorm fixed her eyes on the young Ashbreeze. ā€The pups this and the pups thatā€¦ stop using them as an excuse.ā€ The sharp words were enough to shock Ashbreeze, before another figure entered the den.

ā€Azaleastorm...ā€
ā€Bite me, you know itā€™s true.ā€

A soft sigh echoed from the younger mother before she shook, Duskleaf turning her attention to a stammering Ashbreeze as the female tried to argue that Azaleastorm was wrong. ā€Itā€™s alright dear, I know all you want is to keep them safeā€¦ but Azaleastorm is right. She and I can watch over the pups today, dear, so why donā€™t you go and help out Mudtail hmmm?ā€ Eventually the darker female nodded, following the packā€™s herbalist out of the pup den, before Duskleaf turned to look at Azaleastorm as she laid down.

ā€Would it kill you to be kinder?ā€
ā€No, but keep coddling Ashbreeze like that and you will kill her.ā€
ā€Iā€™m notā€¦ look, sheā€™s had a rough start in life, alright?ā€
ā€So did Nightstream and Spottedpeltā€”ā€
ā€I know, Azaleastorm, I know... but each wolf is different. She just needs a bit more time, and some gentle nudges in the right direction.ā€
ā€Hrmph, if you say so...ā€

Duskleaf knew that the older female meant well, even if her approach could sometimes be too crude and rough. Unlike Nightstream and Spottedpelt, who were eager to try new things, Ashbreeze found it harder to get out of her comfort zoneā€¦ not to mention she seemed overly protective of Duskleafā€™s own litter as if they were her own. The female suspected it was due to her own traumas as a young pup, but aside from giving her time Duskleaf was at a loss of what else to do. Mudtail had been the one to suggest todayā€™s outing when the she-wolf had gone to her best friend for advice, and it wasnā€™t a lie that the herbalist could use some additional paws and jaws to help her finish stacking up on herbs before winter arrived.

The rest of the afternoon had come and gone as usual, and at one point when the pups had woken from their nap they had all moved outside of the den and onto the camp so they could have space for play. When Talayazhi and Mackenzie returned the male had gone off to join the pups in their roughhousing, while the coywolf had joined the females for a nice chit chat.

ā€Pssst, Dawnpupā€¦ nowā€™s our chance to get out of camp!ā€
ā€But I wanna play with uncle Mack too...ā€
ā€Uuughhh, why play with him when we can go find big sis Ashbreeze and play with her instead?!ā€

There was another protest by the youngest of the litter, causing Duskpup to groan before she yanked at Dawnpupā€™s tail to get her moving. ā€Come on, before they notice us!ā€ Finally Dawnpup got to her feet, the runt letting out a long yawn, before she followed behind her older sister.

The hunting party returned by early evening, with both Sandwhisper and Bearpelt carrying a beaver each in their jaws while Nightstream and Spottedpelt carried a whitetail between them. Behind the squad came Mudtail and Ashbreeze, both she-wolves carrying mouthfuls of herbs that they had gathered before meeting with the hunting squad on their way back. Once at camp Ashbreeze had followed Mudtail to her den, helping the she-wolf store the gathered herbs while listening to the advice the herbalist had to offer.

ā€St. Johnā€™s Wort is especially helpful. We can use it to help treat open wounds, when combined with yarrow and winterfat, or to fight off infections, for those we combine it with feverfew and oregano.ā€
ā€What about these then? We got so many, so what are they for?ā€
ā€Ah, the dandelions and charcoalā€¦ those you can mix to create a healing salve. I know, it sounds like a weird mix due to the charcoal, but it actually works wonders when done rightā€”ā€

Their chatter suddenly came to an abrupt stop as an anguished cry echoed from the camp, both she-wolves exiting the den to come across the sight of a frantic Duskleaf as she cried out.

ā€My girlsā€¦ has anyone seen my girls?!ā€

The pack had been gathering together for their meal when Duskleaf had become aware of the missing presence of two of her pups, a now confused and worried Sunpup huddled besides Stonepup and Auburnpup as his mother frantically looked around the campā€”heā€™d been busy playing with Mackenzie and the other pups to notice his sisters had gone missing.

ā€Theyā€™re out thereā€¦! My girls, they must be out there! I need to find them, Iā€”ā€
ā€Calm down, Duskleaf, you canā€™t look for them when youā€™re like thisā€¦!ā€
ā€Bearpelt is right, Duskleafā€¦ā€
ā€Azaleastorm, Mudtail and Ashbreezeā€”you three will stay here along with Duskleaf in case the pups return.ā€
ā€N-No, I have to look for them! My babiesā€”ā€
ā€Itā€™s alright Duskleaf, Iā€™ll find themā€¦ I promise.ā€

It took a few moments for the worried mother to finally calm down enough to accept Talayazhiā€™s decision, the she-wolf curled around Sunpup now and joined by Ashbreeze and Mudtail who tried to calm Duskleaf down while Azaleastorm watched over her own pups.

ā€Weā€™ll form two squads to look for themā€¦ on the first will be Mackenzie, Sandwhisper, Nightstream and Goldpaw. Youā€™re in charge, Mackenzie, Iā€™ll leave the north and west to you.ā€
ā€Got it, Talayazhi!ā€
ā€The rest come with me, weā€™ll search east and southā€¦ if anyone finds them be sure to howl loud enough so we can hear you.ā€

With roles decided and orders given the two searching parties rushed out into their territory, slowly but surely attempting to search every nook and cranny for the missing pups before the sun fully dipped and nighttime rolled in. Bearpelt and Spottedpelt were specifically focused on trying to find the trail of either pup, and while a young Goldenpaw wasnā€™t sure why these pups would be dumb enough to leave the comfort of camp she was smart enough to not voice those thoughts out loud given the circumstances and the company.

Itā€™s not until the last rays of sunlight remain that Bearpelt finally catches the familiar scent of the pups, the small pack rushing through the undergrowth in response. The darkness is quickly spreading, sending a sense of urgency among them as every adult knows the nightly wilderness is no place for lost and confused pups. Silver rays of moonlight creep through the canopy, offering some light in the otherwise obscure night, and itā€™s under one of those lights that they finally spot the two small figures huddled in a spot.

ā€Duskpup! Dawnpup!ā€
ā€D-Daddyā€¦?!ā€

She hadnā€™t called him like that since her younger days, Duskpupā€™s voice filled with fright and insecurity... but thereā€™s also a small sliver of relief as she realized Bearpelt was already rushing over to her. Heā€™s the first to reach them, nosing over Duskpup as she whines and whimpers while trying to huddle in closer to his chest.

ā€Iā€™m s-sorry!ā€
ā€Where have you been?! Do you know how worried your mother and I have been, Duskpup?!ā€
ā€Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m sorryā€¦!ā€
ā€Bearpeltā€¦ look.ā€

He was about to say something more when Talayazhiā€™s voice cut in, the large male turning to look in the direction his alpha pointed before he felt his blood run cold. Thereā€™s a surprised gasp from the back as Goldenpaw finally catches sight of it, before a wave of nausea causes the female to backpedal and shove her face into the nearest bush.

ā€D-Dawnpupā€¦?ā€

Spottedpelt only manages to handle the news better than Goldenpaw by a fraction, the male looking deathly pale as he barely manages to utter that single word before he falls silent once more. There, not too far from where Duskpup had been, is the limp body of the runtā€”with a contraption that none of them have ever seen, but that looks like terrible jaws, snapped shut right around the torso of the tiny female. Bearpelt instinctively pulls Duskpup closer still, the female now reduced to a whimpering mess, while Talayazhi moves closer to inspect Dawnpup.

ā€Itā€™s no useā€¦ I canā€™t pry it open.ā€
ā€I c-canā€™t yank it out, either...ā€

Eventually Spottedpelt seems to sober up enough to help, and while the coywolf is trying to pry the cold jaws from the pup he follows an equally cold link to a spot on the ground not too far. It seems to be connected, or at least he thinks so, but no matter how much he tried to pull or dig the thing would not give way and come loose from the spot it was anchored to.

ā€Spottedpelt and Goldenpawā€¦ you both go on ahead, howl to let the others know we found them.ā€
ā€W-What aboutā€¦?ā€
ā€Weā€™ll bury her for now, make sure no scavengers can get her.ā€
ā€Weā€™ll return tomorrow with the others, see if thereā€™s a way to bring her back to camp...ā€

Thereā€™s a glance in the direction of the sniveling pup still close to the maleā€™s chest, before Talayazhi quietly shakes her head in response. ā€Weā€™ll take her back once weā€™re done here.ā€ At that Spottedpelt nods, the adolescent besides him clearly more than eager to get the hell out of there already, before the pair of wolves starts heading back to camp.

Their howls echo in the distance as they go, alerting the other search party, and Talayazhi works silently on digging out a hole around the cold body of Dawnpup while Bearpelt keeps Duskpup close to him. Only when theyā€™re satisfied does the pair finally start heading back, the male picking the tear stained pup by the scruff of her neck, before the long and silent walk to camp begins.

ā€Y-You found themā€¦?! Spottedpelt said you found themā€”oh, Duskpup!!!ā€

A frantic Duskleaf greets them on arrival, and by the looks of it it seems they are the last to return back to camp. The she-wolfā€™s eyes quickly turn away from Talayazhi and towards Duskpup once Duskleaf spots her, and Bearpelt carefully places the pup down as the mother quickly begins to fuzz over her.

ā€Oh, thank the moon youā€™re safeā€¦! Youā€™re finally backā€”wait, where is she?ā€
ā€Iā€™m sorry, mamma! Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m s-sorryā€¦!ā€
ā€Duskpupā€¦? What is going on?ā€

Thereā€™s a confused and worried look in Duskleafā€™s eyes as they move away from her daughter and towards Bearpelt and Talayazhi, their somber looks and silence letting the she-wolf know more than words could say. ā€O-Oh noā€¦ noā€¦ my baby, she canā€™t beā€”!ā€ Bearpeltā€™s the one to finally cross the distance and pull the now sobbing Duskleaf close to him, the echoing cries of Duskpup muffled between the two adults as he quietly informs Duskleaf of what they found. Not too far away Spottedpelt is also doing the same with Ashbreeze, the she-wolf surprised gasps soon muffled by quiet crying of her own.

The others eventually disperse to their dens to give those grieving some private time to themselves, and at the crack of dawn a small party is made to retrieve Dawnpupā€™s body. Duskleaf is among them this time, the sleeping Duskpup and Sunpup left behind in the pup den curled besides Ashbreeze.

ā€No, it should be hereā€¦ it should be here!ā€

Confusion reigns across the party as they reach the same location from the night before, having followed the markings Spottedpelt and Goldenpaw made on their way back to camp. They know itā€™s the right place, the scent still lingering, but where Dawnpupā€™s buried body should have been is now an empty holeā€¦ and both her body and the cold jaws that had trapped her are now gone.

That night a small vigil is held in remembrance of the young pup, with Talayazhi bestowing her the full name of Dawnbreeze as a parting gift. Though available no food is had that night by any of the adults, and even Goldenpaw finds herself deciding to skip a meal as well after the gruesome scene she had witnessed the night before. Goldpaw and the pups are the only ones to feed that nightā€¦ all except for Duskpup, who also refuses a meal.

Hunter(s): Sandwhisper (Tracker), Bearpelt (Chaser), Nightstream (Chaser), Spottedpelt (Chaser)
Pupsitter(s): Ashbreeze, Azaleastorm, Duskleaf
Pupil(s): Goldpaw (Mackenzie), Goldenpaw (Bearpelt)
Pup(s): Auburnpup, Duskpup, Stonepup, Sunpup

Deceased: Dawnbreeze, Pebblestep

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-17 11:49:22

1.10: Second Wind
-------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ--------
Trigger Warnings: Small bonus update chapter, guess who's gonna be a proud daddy soon! šŸ„°
-------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ-----------------------------------ļ»æ--------

He had only wanted to be useful, to fulfill his duties and pass his knowledge onto the younger generations before his time was finally up... and, in some way, hope this aided in mending some mistakes of the past. It was this thought that motivated Sandwhisper to do his best day in and day out, pushing his body to the limits every time even when Talayazhi reassured him that was not necessary.

They would not abandon him simply due to his age, he would not be cast aside and forgotten in this pack... Sandwhisper had come to understand that, but old habits were hard to change at times.

As a result of his overexertion the aging male often found himself under Mudtail's care when he had pushed too far, the female always patient and willing to help. She was like a doting and loving mother, her touch always gentle with each pack member as if they were a newborn pup, and combined with Mudtail's vast knowledge under Herbert's tutelage perhaps it came as no surprised how loved she was by all the members of the pack.

He couldn't help but falling for the younger she-wolf, always trying to sneak a glance her way whenever possible. Never had he expected for something more to bloom, for he was very aware of his age... and had also sworn to himself to not allow any distractions until the end of his life.

However things don't always go as planned, Mudtail had noticed his gaze on her multiple times... and somehow, for reasons Sandwhisper himself couldn't comprehend, the she-wolf had also turned her attention towards him. The cold months had forced his aging body to rest inside the pup den more and more, the winter chills causing his joints to ache, and it was here that Mudtail also worked on her salves.

They began to spent more time together day in and day out and, as the last winter frost melted away and new buddings signaled the arrival of spring, finally one day Mudtail gave him the surprise.

"Sandwhisper... I'm pregnant."

No words would ever be able to describe the elation he had felt upon hearing those words, the initial shock ebbing away to be transformed into an excited cry as the meaning of it all sunk into his mind. Life had decided to give him a second chance after all, and this time he hoped to be the mate and father he should've always been from the start.

"Dear, you've made me the happiest wolf alive... I cannot wait to meet them."

The warmth of her body and the scent of her fur, every single detail of this very moment was etched into his mind with carefulness as he held Mudtail close to his chest... for this was one memory Sandwhisper never wished to forget.

The Ashen Cypress Pack

Alpha: Talayazhi
Hunter(s): Sandwhisper (Tracker), Duskleaf (Tracker), Azaleastorm (Chaser), Bearpelt (Chaser), Nightstream (Chaser), Spottedpelt (Chaser), Tuffstep (Chaser), Russetfang (Finisher)
Herbalist: Mudtail (Pregnant)
Pupsitter(s): Goldenbriar
Pupil(s): Ashpaw (Mackenzie), Auburnpaw (Azaleastorm), Goldpaw (Sandwhisper), Stonepaw (Azaleastorm)
Pup(s): Ashenpup, Dawnpup, Duskpup, Emberpup, Sunpup

Wanderer(s): N/A

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-20 21:54:53 (edited)

1.11: Farewells
Trigger Warnings: None

As the spring season arrived it seemed to bring with itself a cart of good news, the pregnancy of Mudtail causing the pack to vibrate with excitement right after Ashpaw and Goldpaw had received their true names. Ashbreeze, as she would now be known, had been the most elated of all upon hearing the news--the she-wolf almost begging Talayazhi so she could take over the pupsitter duties Goldenbriar had currently held.

"Moon! Oh please, please, please Moon!!!"
"Very well... but only if Goldenbriar has no issues with this change."
"Yes! Thank you, thank you, thankyou!!!"

For her part Goldenbriar had been more than relieved to give her spot away. Goldfang, as he was now known, had already grown up... and while Goldenbriar had tolerated him she wasn't quite as endeared to the other pups in the den. The change had allowed her to take scouting duties instead, something that seemed to quickly suit the she-wolf as she had begun to explore distant lands along with Mackenzie.

Goldfang had been elated to finally become a proper adult, the male having looked forwards to joining hunting parties since his adolescence. After some careful consideration, and with the increase of adults in the pack, Talayazhi finally formalized two hunting squads for the pack. Piercing Song would have, for the most part, seasoned adults or highly driven youngsters. Meanwhile its counterpart, Summer Breeze, would help young wolves find their paws as they learned about squad synergy and hunting tactics.

"Duskleaf, what is this Moon thing going on now?"
"Oh dear... it's Ashbreeze, isn't it?"

Shortly after the coywolf had begun to notice the change in name as some of the pack members addressed her, eventually looking for the one she-wolf that Talayazhi was sure could shed some light into the issue. According to Duskleaf it had been tradition in their packs for leaders' names to always end with the suffix of moon, and often the members would use this to refer to them instead of the usual alpha other packs preferred.

"It's nothing more than respect, really, but I can let her know to stop it if necessary... I never expected the pups to pick up on it as well."
"No, it's alright. If they prefer that I don't mind, I was just curious as to what had caused the change is all."

Ashbreeze and Goldfang weren't the only ones that had grown however, for soon enough Stonedream and Auburnblaze had received their true names and joined the adults. The celebration had been short lived however, as a few weeks later Azaleastorm had finally approached Talayazhi for a request that had been weighting heavily in her mind for a while.

"I understand, Azaleastorm, and there's no need to apologize. You and yours can always count on this pack as home if you ever return.

In the end she had been unable to move on from the death of Pebblestep, and everything about the territory along with his grave was a constant reminder for the older she-wolf. She had done her best to cope as she raised her two remaining pups, but now that they were grown Azaleastorm had simply been unable to continue on this way. They were both fine wolves as well, Talayazhi was confident that they would keep their mother safe as they wandered the lands.

The rest of spring slowly passed without issues, the hunters bringing in successful hunts to ensure the pack was always well fed while the scouts continued to discover new lands and neighboring packs. The youngest of the pups had continued to grow well, and the initial pairings of Ashenpup & Duskpup and Emberpup & Sunpup seemed to persist as they all shared the puppy den... while Dawnpup seemed to become lazier as time went by. Upon careful consideration Talayazhi had begun to notice the amount of packs in the mountains had been heavily increasing, a part of the coywolf wondering if perhaps a territorial move would be in her pack's best interest sometime soon to avoid all the extra competition.

A week later, to everyone's surprise, an announcement rippled through the pack... one of their scouts, Goldenbriar, was now pregnant. The she-wolf didn't offer much information as to whom the sire of her litter was, except that he wasn't a member of this pack. While this irked some in the end Talayazhi quelled any dissents or whispered comments, after all new blood could only help their pack grow and become stronger as time passed.

The Ashen Cypress Pack

Scout(s): Goldenbriar šŸ•Šļø, Mackenzie

Piercing Song Squad: Sandwhisper (Tracker), Bearpelt (Chaser), Goldfang (Chaser), Nightstream (Chaser), Russetfang (Finisher)
Summer Breeze Squad: Duskleaf (Tracker), Spottedpelt (Chaser), Tuffstep (Finisher)

Herbalist: Mudtail šŸ•Šļø
Pupsitter(s): Ashbreeze
Pup(s): Ashenpup, Dawnpup, Duskpup, Emberpup, Sunpup

Wanderer(s): Azaleastorm, Stonedream, Auburnblaze

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-23 21:16:49

1.12: Natural Cycle
Trigger Warnings: Puppy death, stillborn litter.

Spring had come and gone, and as the heat of summer began to roll into the mountains the pup den was suddenly active with the labor of two females. Mudtail's delivery had been expected and in time, however the fact that Goldenbriar had gone into labor first had alarmed the herbalist greatly... those pups should not have been due until the end of summer at the earliest.

"Ashbreeze, help me gather the following herbs...!"
"B-But Mudtail you're...!"
"Now, Ashbreeze! We might not have enough time!!!"

A quick bark had finally gotten the younger Ashbreeze to move, the she-wolf doing her best to follow Mudtail's directions. By then Mackenzie had ushered the other pups out of the den, having thought it to be the best decision given the circumstances, while the rest of the pack had been out hunting for prey. Talayazhi had been the first to return hours later, the alpha noticing one of her scouts by the entrance of the pup den, while the faint whimpers of pain could be heard from within.

Unfortunately, although Mudtail had tried her very best, Goldenbriar's litter had already been lost... their birth had been too fast, too soon, and they simply hadn't been ready for the world. Goldenbriar had seemed distraught at the news at first, before the she-wolf had simply shut inside herself and curled into a tight ball along her four stillborn pups for the remainder of the evening. Even when Mudtail herself had finally gone into labor, her pained grunts echoing inside the den, the young scout never shifted from her corner.

When Sandwhisper and the rest of the Piercing Song squad had returned, a young ewe being their hunting prize, he had been surprised with the big news--he was a father now to two healthy pups! The largest of them, a female, was named Galepup, and her younger brother received the name of Sandpup in turn, the happy couple curling up together to relish the scent and sight of their newborns. It was only when Duskleaf and the Summer Breeze squad had returned, their hunt resulting in empty jaws, that the pack finally realized something else was amiss.

"My pups... has anyone seen my pups?"
"Yes, they were with mine over ther--Mackenzie? Mack, where are the pups...?"
"They're right there--oh!--n-no, no, no...! I swear, they were here a moment ago!"

Among the distractions and the news the male had not realized the quintet had slipped out of the camp, too inexperienced when it came to keeping track and tabs of mischievous and curious little pups. A bark from Talayazhi quickly settled the bubbling chaos as both females had been just about ready to jump the male, before two search parties were formed to look for the missing pups.

"Ashbreeze, you stay here along with Mudtail, Goldenbriar and Sandwhisper in case they return... the rest of us will go searching for them in the mountain."

It wasn't until late in the evening that the group came across four of the pups, their cries having caught the attention of one of the search parties before they had found Ashenpup pinned under some rocks. Apparently the group had been playing too close to an edge when it had given way, separating him and Dawnpup from the others before they were able to reunite. His leg was freed before Russetfang had picked him up by the scruff of his neck and taken him back to camp and Mudtail, Emberpup quietly following behind her mother along with Spottedpelt and Nightstream to keep them safe. Thankfully Ashenpup's wound hadn't been major, and after some rest and salves the herbalist was confident he would make a full recovery.

"She's missing... she's missing!!!"
"What...? Calm down, Duskleaf... who's missing?"
"Dawnpup, she's missing...! Duskpup, Sunpup... where is your sister!?!"

A headcount had soon revealed that Duskleaf's words were true, the two remaining pups nervously looking at one another before they had spoken up. Dawnpup had also fallen along with Ashenpup when the ledge had given way, but once the group had finally reunited she was still nowhere to be found by them... and with Ashenpup trapped none had dared to move in order to search for the missing female. It took some effort before Duskleaf would finally return to camp, the moonless night making it close to impossible to continue the search for the missing pup.

"I promise Duskleaf, at the first crack of dawn we'll go out and continue looking for her."

Sure enough a search party was sent out, lead by Bearpelt, and for two whole days the group turned every stone and branch in their territory in search for the missing pup. It wouldn't be until dusk of the third day that they would finally come across Dawnpup... although the outcome had not been the one they had hoped for. The rotting scent had been what made the search party venture out of their border limits, fearing the worse but having hoped that it would only be a decaying rabbit or something similar. Instead they had finally come across the familiar shape of Duskleaf's youngest girl, unnaturally still and stiff even for someone as lackadaisical as Dawnpup.

The loud and heartbroken cries of Duskleaf had echoed all around the trees as she had finally been reunited with her baby girl, the rest of the pack allowing her privacy and time to grieve the lost of Dawnpup for the night. It wouldn't be until the next morning that a burial ritual would be held, Talayazhi bestowing the name of Dawnbreeze onto her before she was sent off with howling songs into the great beyond.

Bearpelt had remained besides Duskleaf ever since, comforting the she-wolf and slowly helping her over her grief, while Talayazhi and Mudtail had continued to try and find the source of Dawnbreeze's death. Mackenzie, no doubt driven by guilt even if no one from the pack truly blamed him, had continued to scout the area where the body had been found and giving his reports... but none in the pack had ever seen these two legged creatures before in their lives.

"We will have to keep an eye on them and see what their moves will be... I want no one heading in that direction on their lonesome, or getting too close to their weird settlements. Is that understood?"

Talayazhi did her best to keep her pack safe, but deep down in her gut the female couldn't shake off this sickening and sinking feeling forming... the coywolf heavily doubted that anything good could come from crossing paths with these two legged creatures.

The Ashen Cypress Pack

Scout(s): Goldenbriar, Mackenzie

Piercing Song Squad: Sandwhisper (Tracker), Bearpelt (Chaser), Goldfang (Chaser), Nightstream (Chaser), Russetfang (Finisher)
Summer Breeze Squad: Duskleaf (Tracker), Spottedpelt (Chaser), Tuffstep (Finisher)

Herbalist: Mudtail
Pupsitter(s): Ashbreeze
Pupil(s): n/a
Pup(s): Ashenpup, Duskpup, Emberpup, Galepup, Sandpup, Sunpup

Deceased: Dawnbreeze, Pebblestep

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-27 13:55:28

1.13: Unforeseen Dangers
Trigger Warnings: Lots of deaths, saddle up for this ride... šŸ˜°

It was during the end of summer that a new female had arrived to their camp, the loner having been wounded on her back leg and hiding in Talayazhi's territory since. Although snappy and defensive at first eventually she had come around as the wound had worsened, but thankfully the she-wolf managed to make a full recovery under Mudtail's care.

"There might still be some lingering discomfort... but aside from that Stormwind's leg should work fine like before."
"I see, I'm glad to hear that... any idea what caused that injury though?"
"Hm-hm, none that I--or even Herbert--can think of... bit she did mention having strayed too close to that place when I asked before."

Ever since the incident with Dawnbreeze the coywolf had been on high alert, unable to shake off the anxious feeling that something wasn't right... though Talayazhi couldn't pinpoint what exactly. She had hoped to see Tala at some point, get the loner's opinion on the thoughts that plagued her mind, but the she-wolf had been missing ever since her last visit to their camp. This had spurred Talayazhi to entrust Mackenzie with a particular scouting mission--finding out more about these two legged creatures and their lands without being spotted.

With the arrival of autumn Ashen Cypress gained two young adolescents in their mist, and that meant new pupils to be shown the ropes. Emberpaw was assigned to Tuffstep in the hopes that the older female's keen eyes could help shape the unruly girl, sometimes Emberpaw was simply too confident and boastful for her own good. Her brother was a trickier one to match, his stoic attitude and sneaky habits easily clashing with others in the pack... but there was one that always seemed to be able to keep him under her gaze. As a result, and although Stormwind was fairly new to the pack herself, the she-wolf was entrusted with the education of Ashenpaw.

"We hope that, in due time, you will both become marvelous members and reliable adults of Ashen Cypress when the time comes."

The den still remained lively, especially as Mudtail's own litter began exploring about the place. At first Duskpup had been the most upset now that Ashenpaw didn't have as much time to spend with her as before, though before long she had found herself drawn to the largest of the two pups... Galepup's lackadaisical personality reminding the female of her now deceased younger sister. Perhaps it was guilt, or perhaps something else, but for whatever reason the two girls became almost inseparable as the autumn weeks went by.

Similarly Sunpup found a friend in Galepup's younger brother, Sandpup's own fearless personality resembling that of Emperpaw's with ease... there was never a dull moment to be had around the pup, that was for sure, though as the oldest of the two Sunpup now understood the responsibility on his shoulders. He didn't wish to lose his sister (even if they didn't always saw eye to eye) or neither of Mudtail's pups due to another careless adventure like before.

After weeks and weeks of monitoring that strange two legged camp without much change even Talayazhi had begun to forget about her worries about them. Winter was approaching, and with it the necessity to stock up on fresh kills, but so far her pack had been doing a magnificent job at this. For a moment all had seemed well... until that fateful dawn break that hurled the pack into chaos. The scent of fire had been the first to awaken them, the wolves pouring out of the dens and into their camp to see their surroundings ablaze. Thundering sounds echoed through the trees around them, along with voices and shouts that none of them could comprehend. With a cracking sound the three that had served as their center was suddenly shoved onto the ground by a large and clamorous beast, the likes of which none of them had ever seen before, but before anyone could catch up with what was happening the first shot had rang loud in the air.

"Bearpelt...? Bearpelt!?!"

One moment he had been standing in attention and on guard, the brown male making sure to cover as much of Duskleaf and her pups as he could from the advancing beast... before his body had suddenly slumped ontot he ground after that booming noise that had made their ears ring. He was now unmoving and unresponsive, even as Duskleaf tugged at his scruff and shouted in his ears, and after a quick glance Mudtail confirmed what they had all feared... he was dead.

"Grab the pups, get them out of here and onto a safe place! Mudtail you go with them--"

Another booming shot drowned the rest of the alpha's words as another body now slumped into the ground, this time the lithe form of Ashbreeze being the target. A loud cry echoed from Duskleaf at the sight, accompanied this time by Nightstream, before the dark female rushed forth before Spottedpelt or anyone else could stop her.

"No, Nightstream--!"
"Nightstream get back--!"

Another shot rung through the air, the young she-wolf's legs suddenly tripping over themselves as her body became unresponsive and sent her sprawling onto the ground and closer to the beast. From the smoke figures began to emerge then, two legged from what they could see, and all seemed to held some form of sticks on their arms. Within seconds their pack had lost three, and as the figures hoisted their sticks up once more Talayazhi finally gave the cry to retreat.

Paws quickly scrambled against the ground, adults snapping up the younger pups by their scruff before they quickly bolted in the direction commanded by Talayazhi. The coywolf was one of the last to leave, only after she was sure everyone else had done so, before she suddenly found herself pinned onto the ground as another shot rung.

"What the--Mackenzie!?!"
"Q-Quickly... Gooo...!"

He had spotted one of the creatures staring intently at Talayazhi as they rose a stick, and before the male could think Mackenzie had instinctively hurled onto his alpha in an attempt to cover her. It had worked, she looked mostly unharmed, but as the male struggled back to his feet it was clear he hadn't been as lucky. A whine erupted from the coywolf then as she had turned to help him, still hoping that no one else would be lost, before one look from the male told Talayazhi all she needed to know.

He would not be coming with them either...

With the last of his strength Mackenzie had chosen to remain back, attracting the attention of the tree two legged that were in the camp now, and allowing his alpha a chance to escape and meet up with the rest of the pack. Various shots rang through the air, no doubt signaling the end of their brave packmate, as the rest of Ashen Cypress ran as fast as their legs would carry them through the undergrowth...

The Ashen Cypress Pack

Scout(s): Goldenbriar, Tuffstep

Piercing Song Squad: Sandwhisper (Tracker), Goldfang (Chaser), Spottedpelt (Chaser), Stormwind (Chaser), Russetfang (Finisher)

Pupsitter(s): Duskleaf
Pupil(s): Ashenpaw(Stormwind), Emberpaw(Tuffstep)
Pup(s): Duskpup, Galepup, Sandpup, Sunpup

Deceased: Ashbreeze, Bearpelt, Dawnbreeze, Mackenzie, Nightstream, Pebblestep

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-27 14:44:43

1.14: Step By Step
Trigger Warnings: Hardships as the pack makes their way to the Coniferous Forest, mention of a stillborn pup.

Gone... everything was gone.

They would never rest in the comfortable dens under the ashen cypress, slowly carved out by the pack in the time since Talayazhi and Mackenzie had first called those lands home. Their food storage and herbs were also gone, all their efforts to ensure the pack could survive the incoming winter thrown onto the wind in the blink of an eye. Beloved packmates too were now missing from their ranks, the loss of Ashbreeze, Bearpelt, Mackenzie and Nightstream impacting the remaining members in different ways.

Even their lands were gone, forcefully taken by these two legged creatures and their thunderous giant beasts they seemed to command... and what little was still left was now unrecognizable the last time Talayazhi had ventured close enough to watch.

"They are monsters, Tuffstep... nightmares brought to life."
"Worse than that, at least nightmares can be chased away... I hope we never come across their kind again."
"We must make sure of that, they are not creatures we can contest and win against."

They had managed to hole up in an old and hollowed tree for a few days, giving the pack time to internalize what had transpired and come to terms with those that were now gone. Still their respite was short lived as they were eventually found by the rightful owners of the land they now rested under, and before things could escalate Talayazhi had continued to guide her own further northeast in search of unclaimed lands. Food was scarce, the adults often choosing to go hungry for the night in favor of feeding the younger pups, but even then Talayazhi knew they wouldn't be able to keep this pace for long.

Galepup and Sandpup were still young, and even the larger Duskpup and Sunpup had trouble keeping up with the large distance the pack was now forced to cover on a daily basis in search of both food and shelter. Often the adults would take turns carrying them when their small paws could no longer do so for themselves, but even the adults were beginning to have issues keeping up as well. Mudtail dd the best she could to keep everyone healthy and invigorated, but her own stash of herbs was long gone as well... if they didn't find a permanent place soon the herbalist feared what repercussions this all could have on the pack members and their lives.

It wouldn't be until almost two weeks after, on the third day since the winter chills had began to roll in, that the pack would finally come across a patch of unclaimed territory large enough to sustain them for the time being. Dens had quickly been dug out, and even defended against other rogues who had wanted the place for themselves, before finally the pack was allowed their first night of full and much needed rest.

"It'll take some time before this can feel like home... but with some luck it'll prevent further casualties from happening.
"Yes, but how are you feeling, Talayazhi? The pup... I'm sorry there wasn't anything I could do for him."
"I'll be alright, Mudtail... but do not waste time worrying over me, there are still many packmates who need our help and time to heal."

With four members no longer with them the second hunting squad had to be disbanded for the time being, Duskleaf herself currently in no shape to lead it, before Talayazhi found new roles for those to carry out. Sandwhisper remained as the lead for the Piercing Song squad, his knowledge and years of tracking expertise needed now more than ever if Ashen Cypress hoped to make it through this winter. Goldfang and Russetfang also remained in the squad in their respective rolls, now joined by Stormwind and Spottedpelt as chasers.

Usually the mix would've not been the best, and one Talayazhi would've avoided given some of te personalities... but under the current circumstances it was simply unavoidable. She was thankful, however, of the maturity Spottedpelt displayed upon being hurled through all these changes... the young large male doing his best to not incumber those around him, even if he might not always agree with the tactics and decisions of his packmates when it came to hunts.

Mudtail remained as the pack's herbalist, the she-wolf herself now busy beyond hope as she attempted to regain as much fo her old herb stock as possible before the first frost of winter buried all the plants from their reach. Often Ashenpaw and Emberpaw would accompany her on these trips when not enduring lessons from their mentors, for three mouths could carry more herbs more than just one. Goldenbriar had also remained in her old position as a scout, now joined by Tuffstep. Not only were they in charge of mapping out their new lands and resources, along with maintaining the borders, but in the case of Tuffstep she had also been given an additional task--ensure there was no trace of those two legged anywhere nearby their new lands.

As for Duskleaf the she-wolf had remained inside the newly dug pup den with Duskpup, Sunpup and Mudtail's brood... the once lively youngsters now quiet and somber as they all worked on internalizing and process their new circumstances. Even the youngest two, Galepup and Sandpup, seemed alert enough of everything--and while they might not understand it they also did their best to not burden their pupsitter. Between the loss of Dawnbreeze and shortly after that of Ashbreeze, Nightstream and even Bearpelt it was clear to the pack, and even Duskleaf's own pups, that the she-wolf would need some time to heal before she would be herself once more.

The Ashen Cypress Pack

Scout(s): Goldenbriar, Tuffstep

Piercing Song Squad: Sandwhisper (Tracker), Goldfang (Chaser), Spottedpelt (Chaser), Stormwind (Chaser), Russetfang (Finisher)

Pupsitter(s): Duskleaf
Pupil(s): Ashenpaw(Stormwind), Emberpaw(Tuffstep)
Pup(s): Duskpup, Galepup, Sandpup, Sunpup

Deceased: Ashbreeze, Bearpelt, Dawnbreeze, Mackenzie, Nightstream, Pebblestep

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-28 19:16:44 (edited)

Intermission
Rizu decided to re-write everything because her OCDness is a b!@#h.Ā šŸ™ƒ

Hello everyone!

Ashen Cypress will be entering a mini hiatus as I decide to rewrite a bunch of stuff that I'm simply not happy with how it came out. šŸ™ƒ

Apologies in advance, since I don't know if the changes I have planned will have much of an impact, but once I'm happy with the current 14 chapters then I'll continue moving this along! šŸ˜°

Hopefully it'll be worth it for any readers lurking around... that or maybe I'm just talking to myself, who knows. šŸ˜‚

- RizuĀ šŸŒŗ

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Posted 2021-03-30 10:42:43 (edited)

We got Fan Mail!!! šŸ˜²

A huge, huge, huuugeee shoutout to KittyKookiez #34644 for starting off my morning today (March 30th, 2021) with a very unexpected (but also very welcomed) surprise!!! šŸ¤Æ

As many of you probably know I'm often struggling to have enough amusement toys for my pack members to be happy and properly stimulated, so receiving this today was an absolute blessing as I did my rounds in the den after RO reset. šŸ˜‡

Not gonna lie to y'all, on more than one occasion I have wondered if I'm wording the Ashen Cypress Legacy well enough for others to become invested in the characters. This thought/worry/concern has plagued me especially so in the past couple of days, and so I cannot put into words how happy I felt upon receiving this amazing surprise this morning while getting ready for work. šŸ„°

If, for some unfathomable reason, you still haven't read their story then please make sure to so! I can personally guarantee you'll love reading about the adventures of Heartland's Kingdom!!! šŸ’Æ I promise they are well worth it, and KittyKookiez is amazing at keeping the reader engaged with unexpected surprises~ Personally I'm always giddily excited whenever I see a new chapter is released for this pack! šŸ’–

Also as promised I've been spending time revising, and in some cases rewriting, existing Ashen Legacy chapters... once I've finished I'll be sure to let y'all know before continuing on with the lore! Once more thanks to everyone that takes the time to read my little story, and I hope y'all have a wonderful day~

- RizuĀ šŸŒŗ

ā®Œ Table of Contents

RizuChan šŸŒŗ

Search Topic